I want to remote into my desktop from my laptop

Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
3 minutes ago, Server_42 said:

Hi, everyone. I am looking into getting a new laptop since my current one is going on five (5) years old. However, I what to be able to easily remote into my desktop PC from the laptop. Do you have an recommendations for a way to do so that is also secure?

I will be doing CAD work by remote access if needed for my classes and other school and work related things.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for the help in advance.

If you're connecting to a computer with a single monitor (or only need to use one), DEFINITELY go Parsec or Moonlight. You'll need to set up unattended access, but they're the highest quality and lowest latency there is right now. 

Hi, everyone. I am looking into getting a new laptop since my current one is going on five (5) years old. However, I what to be able to easily remote into my desktop PC from the laptop. Do you have an recommendations for a way to do so that is also secure?

I will be doing CAD work by remote access if needed for my classes and other school and work related things.

Teamviewer is alright, but might eventually ask you for money. I think you can do remote access with Parsec as well, that might be an option?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, Server_42 said:

If you're connecting to a computer with a single monitor (or only need to use one), DEFINITELY go Parsec or Moonlight. You'll need to set up unattended access, but they're the highest quality and lowest latency there is right now. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

6 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Teamviewer is alright, but might eventually ask you for money. I think you can do remote access with Parsec as well, that might be an option?

3 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

I was thinking about using either Parsec or the remote in feature of Windows 10 Pro. I believe the LTT team tried using Parsec if I'm not mistaken.

1 minute ago, Server_42 said:

I was thinking about using either Parsec or the remote in feature of Windows 10 Pro. I believe the LTT team tried using Parsec if I'm not mistaken.

Whenever their editors were working from home, they utilized parsec enterprise to do everything but color grading and audio sync. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Whenever their editors were working from home, they utilized parsec enterprise to do everything but color grading and audio sync. 

So it seems like parsec would be good, at least to try. However, do you know if the remote in feature of Windows 10 Pro would work for what I'm trying to do?

1 minute ago, Server_42 said:

So it seems like parsec would be good, at least to try. However, do you know if the remote in feature of Windows 10 Pro would work for what I'm trying to do?

The remote desktop feature is designed for you to be on the same local network. If you're savy enough to set up a VPN to your home network, then it should work still, but Parsec will still be higher quality because it will use the dGPU to encode video. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

2 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

The remote desktop feature is designed for you to be on the same local network. If you're savy enough to set up a VPN to your home network, then it should work still, but Parsec will still be higher quality because it will use the dGPU to encode video. 

1 minute ago, asheenlevrai said:

I'm pretty happy with DWS

You should check it out.It's free.

Okay, I will give Parsec a try after I get my new laptop. I will also look into DWS. Thanks for the help!

QQ, why not just use mstsc (Remote Desktop)? If you are looking to easily connect to your system remotely while not on your network, then yeah use one of the options listed here. Otherwise, why install another piece of software?

3 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

I'm pretty happy with DWS

You should check it out.It's free.

DWS is actually a service you use on your browser.

You only need to install the agent on the server (target) side. In your case, you'd install the DWS agent on your desktop...

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

QQ, why not just use mstsc (Remote Desktop)? If you are looking to easily connect to your system remotely while not on your network, then yeah use one of the options listed here. Otherwise, why install another piece of software?

I am looking for connecting to my system easily while not on my network.

8 minutes ago, Server_42 said:

I am looking for connecting to my system easily while not on my network.

Ahh I gotcha. I have used Teamviewer in the past but if I recall they were compromised a few years back and have been hesitant to install them on my systems anymore. But they are pretty ez pz and work surprising well.

Another one to try is RealVNC.