How to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10?

mwagen

So I've had Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) in my steam library for like 10 years but I haven't even played it yet... Decided to install it the other day but apparently it's impossible to play this game on Windows 10?? I understand I have to also download Microsoft Games for Windows Live, but I keep getting an error every time I do that. What do I have to do to get this game to work?

There's mods that will improve compatibility for it

Hope you can get to playing, Fallout 3 is one of my favorites. If you really can't get it working, New Vegas will work fine- and its better than 3 imo

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 hours ago, Slottr said:

There's mods that will improve compatibility for it

Hope you can get to playing, Fallout 3 is one of my favorites. If you really can't get it working, New Vegas will work fine- and its better than 3 imo

Fallout 3 is a brilliant game, no argument. 

It's easily better than 4, or 76.

13 hours ago, mwagen said:

So I've had Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) in my steam library for like 10 years but I haven't even played it yet... Decided to install it the other day but apparently it's impossible to play this game on Windows 10?? I understand I have to also download Microsoft Games for Windows Live, but I keep getting an error every time I do that. What do I have to do to get this game to work?

You have to install games for winodws live and then it should work. You don't have to log into it just have it present.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You have to install games for winodws live and then it should work. You don't have to log into it just have it present.

Yeah I tried that after reading through this: https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/51727/p/63 

I tried downloading gfwl (or is it just a marketplace thing? Idk, I'm confused) with that link they provided but I kept getting an installation error. It seems gfwl is dead so I thought I was sol. However, after some poking around I eventually I figured out the location of what must be the original installation files buried somewhere in my user apps or somewhere so I ran those and lo and behold that seemed to do the trick and now the game works. 

15 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You don't, there's an app to delete it completely. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

18 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Fallout 3 is a brilliant game, no argument. 

It's easily better than 4, or 76.

Not realy a challenge to be better than FO76

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 hours ago, Praesi said:

Not realy a challenge to be better than FO76

Agreed, it was pretty bad.

Still, out of the 3 (4 if you count New Vegas) more commercially successful, console ported, Fallout games, I think 3 is far and away the best.

Fallout 4 got mixed reviews, but I thought it was a good, if not fantastic, slice of post apocalyptic looters shooter mayhem. 

New Vegas was just 3 with better characters and locations. 

Well, I got it working, but I didn't like the game... The graphics have aged pretty bad imo, the writing/plot were meh, and I hated the gun play. Played it for around two hours before giving up and uninstalling. 

57 minutes ago, mwagen said:

Well, I got it working, but I didn't like the game... The graphics have aged pretty bad imo, the writing/plot were meh, and I hated the gun play. Played it for around two hours before giving up and uninstalling. 

Oh dear...