Where does sound come to my headset if I don’t have a sound card?

GamerBlake

I don’t have a sound card in my PC but I still get good sound in all the games I play and videos I watch. Which component is providing the sound? Also what is the point of a sound card if you can get sound without one? 🤔 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

that motherboard has an integrated one. this: Realtek® ALC1220 Codec. should have a chip on the board that looks like this:

Realtek ALC1200 demystified - what really distinguishes the entry-level  sound chip from the larger ALC1220 | igor´sLAB

edit:

12 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Also what is the point of a sound card if you can get sound without one?

pretty sure that's for higher quality sound, and/or features the integrated doesn't have.

3 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

that motherboard has an integrated one. this: Realtek® ALC1220 Codec. should have a chip on the board that looks like this:

Realtek ALC1200 demystified - what really distinguishes the entry-level  sound chip from the larger ALC1220 | igor´sLAB

edit:

pretty sure that's for higher quality sound, and/or features the integrated doesn't have.

Oooh okay gotchya! Here is a question I have: Do higher quality motherboards provide better sound? Or do all motherboards from $80-$800 have the same sound chip?

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Generally, all motherboards for general PC use come with sound capabilities built into the motherboard. Just like, you get video without a video card, from your motherboard and cpu. 

A video card is applied to a system that expects to deal with and do calculations for video. Gaming, rendering, GPU mining, AI computing, etc. 

So, you can guess, a sound card is used when you expect to deal alot with sound. Sound is not as difficult to calculate as graphics are, so you can get away with a basic sound chip on the motherboard and it will suffice. 

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

Oooh okay gotchya! Here is a question I have: Do higher quality motherboards provide better sound? Or do all motherboards from $80-$800 have the same sound chip?

There will likely be a difference, but you would need to see what the motherboard is made for, and check the manufacturer specs for it. 

Generally, a manufacturer will ALWAYS advertised their better thing if it has a better thing. So just look at the motherboard specs for specific boards. 

1 minute ago, JakeSublime said:

Generally, all motherboards for general PC use come with sound capabilities built into the motherboard. Just like, you get video without a video card, from your motherboard and cpu. 

A video card is applied to a system that expects to deal with and do calculations for video. Gaming, rendering, GPU mining, AI computing, etc. 

So, you can guess, a sound card is used when you expect to deal alot with sound. Sound is not as difficult to calculate as graphics are, so you can get away with a basic sound chip on the motherboard and it will suffice. 

Do you know if higher end motherboards provide better sound than lower end ones?

Or will an $800 motherboard and $80 motherboard both provide the same quality sound?

Just now, JakeSublime said:

There will likely be a difference, but you would need to see what the motherboard is made for, and check the manufacturer specs for it. 

Generally, a manufacturer will ALWAYS advertised their better thing if it has a better thing. So just look at the motherboard specs for specific boards. 

Oh ok thanks! Mine is a MEG Z390 ACE which I upgraded from my old MSI z270-a Pro.

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Do you know if higher end motherboards provide better sound than lower end ones?

Or will an $800 motherboard and $80 motherboard both provide the same quality sound?

The difference usually comes to noise tolerance (from either a better chip or better shielding), but even that will usually come from higher-quality capacitors, still only found on expensive motherboards. I really just recommend you get an external headphone amp as those usually have the highest power and quality DACs, and they are separated from all of your PC components which means less noise.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Just look at each motherboard specs and see if the sound chip/device has changed between the 2 boards. If yes, then the sound is very well could be higher quality than before. 

But, it takes a bit of research on which chips are good and not good or whatever. Im not an expert there, just pointing you in the right direction. 

3 minutes ago, JakeSublime said:

Just like, you get video without a video card, from your motherboard and cpu. 

that's mostly for Intel CPUs though.

Most AMD don't have igpu and as such you're screwed without a gpu... 

I think I only had one Intel CPU so far, a Pentium 1, pretty sure that somehow had integrated graphics too cause I could play just fine without a gpu.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

more expensive ones usually have different ones. its hard to say that they are better because they are all the same. integrated sound these days is pretty decent which is why nobody buys sound cards anymore unless they are audiophiles or really care about sound.

sound cards are also shit because they can have interference. that's why people who do care abotu sound buy a dac which is external and cannot get interference.

if you want to check your sound card on the motherboard just google the motherboard and check the spec. it will tell you. most of them have RealTek ones so you can tell by how high the number is whether they are "better" or "worse" but most people cant differentiate between motherboard sound cards.

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

more expensive ones usually have different ones. its hard to say that they are better because they are all the same. integrated sound these days is pretty decent which is why nobody buys sound cards anymore unless they are audiophiles or really care about sound.

sound cards are also shit because they can have interference. that's why people who do care abotu sound buy a dac which is external and cannot get interference.

if you want to check your sound card on the motherboard just google the motherboard and check the spec. it will tell you. most of them have RealTek ones so you can tell by how high the number is whether they are "better" or "worse" but most people cant differentiate between motherboard sound cards.

What about the MEG z390 ACE?

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

that's mostly for Intel CPUs though.

Most AMD don't have igpu and as such you're screwed without a gpu... 

I think I only had one Intel CPU so far, a Pentium 1, pretty sure that somehow had integrated graphics too cause I could play just fine without a gpu.

I'm 100% confident the majority of consumer low end computers are shipped without GPUs. Enthusiast PCs are a minority to world wide PCs. 

21 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

I don’t have a sound card in my PC but I still get good sound in all the games I play and videos I watch. Which component is providing the sound? Also what is the point of a sound card if you can get sound without one? 🤔 

It really depends what you are connecting to play those sounds.

If you are using headphones/speakers plugged into the front audio or rear audio jacks.  That would be the onboard sound chip.

HDMI audio would be sending the digital signal from your video card, and whatever device that is connected to would be the sound processor.

a USB headset would use a sound chip built into the device.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>