AMD Ryzen 5000-series “Vermeer Zen 3" CPU Benchmarks Leaked (Update 2)

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

People have gotten the 10900k to 5.3ghz, but a more common all core OC for i9 intel is more like 4.7 or less.

4.7GHz is an underclock on the 10900K, considering it boosts to 4.8GHz (or was it 4.9?) on all cores out of the box.

Those alleged benchmark numbers look rather odd to me. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with how AOTS leverages CPU power, but if it was that multithread heavy, the difference between the 10900K and 3800X looks too small.

As per usual, wait for actual reviews. Or better yet, wait for an actual official reveal first, since that hasn't even happened yet.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

13 hours ago, yaboistar said:

what's that sound? intel filing for bankruptcy?

No its the sound of more CPU cores running folding at home! *cough* Folding month *cough* 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

also seem to remember early on at release there were some boards that were like 1.5v, that got fixed though.

I got this mobo and cpu back in 2017...

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

As per usual, wait for actual reviews. Or better yet, wait for an actual official reveal first, since that hasn't even happened yet.

For sure, it's only a week away.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I got this mobo and cpu back in 2017...

Those things were fixed in BIOS/AGESA updates, I know there was a whole thing on it and a news topic here posted about the issue. Was a bunch of fear-mongering about boards potentially killing CPUs because of really high vcore voltages and AMD ended up making a statement about that it was actually normal and also measurement error from tools trying to read vcore peaking a single core to max boost so you'd see the highest vcore possible with those tools. That's where all the "only use Ryzen Master" advice came from originally.

13 hours ago, dizmo said:

Hahaha. You're hilarious. AMD has a long, long way to go before they're even CLOSE to Intel.

Interesting. I mean, I know it's only one benchmark and it's nowhere near indicative of overall performance, but everyone was shouting lately how AMD was taking the gaming crown. If this extrapolates across more titles, it still doesn't look to be true, especially since the 10600k nips at the heels of the 10700k in most titles.

If AMD takes the gaming crown without OC then they still win. The vast majority of PC users do not actually overclock their CPU. Not to mention we have no clue about memory type or if their OC behavior has improved or not.

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

4.7GHz is an underclock on the 10900K, considering it boosts to 4.8GHz (or was it 4.9?) on all cores out of the box.

How to look it up. You're right on both clocks, 4.8 is the "normal" all core boost, and 4.9 is the "Thermal Velocity boost" if temps are low enough.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

4.9 at 250w

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

4.9 at 250w

I was reading 5ghz 300w+ .....

Energy use meh, that heat though!

11 hours ago, Nerdom said:

My only question is what happened to 4

image.png.76a5c4c2104c65132903ceb1ed8e9377.png
For that reason it is often omitted, though I'm not sure a company using AM4 would care about that. Seeing how it clears up the APU gen difference it makes sense though.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think cooler type will help.  There appears to be a heat transfer bottleneck below the IHS.  More cooler won’t do much.  The issue seems to be that there’s only so much silicon surface area to transfer heat through.

I am sure that they will figure it out

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

I also seem to remember early on at release there were some boards that were like 1.5v, that got fixed though. I personally really like the way AMD does boost clocks and voltage control, does make it much harder to talk about boost clocks and all core clocks because the actual clocks are always changing under load and are different based on the workload.

I haven't owned one yet but I am very much planning on purchasing a Zen3 CPU, can't wait 🎉

Would be cool if you could shut down cores using Ryzen Master and only run best cores ensuring it would clock them the highest for gaming. Or if they can do automatic CPU logic this way to also work better in games. Because when exposing so many cores, games often hook on them and that puts burden on other cores so they can't clock as high, but doesn't really benefit the game a much as it would have fewer available cores that run faster.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Would be cool if you could shut down cores using Ryzen Master and only run best cores ensuring it would clock them the highest for gaming. Or if they can do automatic CPU logic this way to also work better in games. Because when exposing so many cores, games often hook on them and that puts burden on other cores so they can't clock as high, but doesn't really benefit the game a much as it would have fewer available cores that run faster.

You can get really good performance from CCD/CCX overclocking.  I was messing around with 4Ghz on the slower cores and 4.4-4.5Ghz+ on the faster ones and saw a massive increase.  I hear it could be dangerous so I don't run that 24/7.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

5 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Those alleged benchmark numbers look rather odd to me. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with how AOTS leverages CPU power, but if it was that multithread heavy, the difference between the 10900K and 3800X looks too small.

The 10900k does not compromise all of i9.  It does seem misleadingly worded though.   My understanding is while i9 parts can stilll be gotten the 10900k itself is ungettable.  My error may I have been conflating i9 specifically with other chips that use the same die as i9 but are not i9 such as the 10700k.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ooh that's looking very good indeed. Can't wait to see how various core-count models get clocked and what all core can be achieved too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, jake1010 said:

I am sure that they will figure it out

There appear to be research attempts to do just that.  Something or other out of Switzerland iirc.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Or if they can do automatic CPU logic this way to also work better in games. Because when exposing so many cores, games often hook on them and that puts burden on other cores so they can't clock as high, but doesn't really benefit the game a much as it would have fewer available cores that run faster.

Intel had Turbo 3.0 that theoretically did this where you could lock programs to the fastest core to ensure the best performance. Issue being that it was 100% manual on the user end, only worked on a single core and was just generally a boondoggle that required a PC restart any time you added a new piece of software to the list. The fact that this isn't integrated into every major OS at this point is pretty sad. 

Chinese character always makes me feel unusually illiterate.  Plus it’s a pic so I can’t even run stuff through Google translate 

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Chinese character always makes me feel unusually illiterate.  Plus it’s a pic so I can’t even run stuff through Google translate 

https://translate.yandex.com/ocr

The Russian magic of translating images :D It scans the image and allows you to translate words that are image, not text. It's super cool tool.

18 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Mockup vs 3900X

Correct me if I'm wrong but 10% increase in multi-threading doesn't sound that big?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

8 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but 10% increase in multi-threading doesn't sound that big?

13.6% isn't heaps but it also isn't bad. It's possible clocks/boost/etc aren't final in the leak, we also don't know what RAM the benchmark was ran with. The 3900X already performed very well in multi-core workloads, the single-core is more important IMO.

For reference a 10980XE gets 10,200 and that has 18 cores vs 12 cores.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, StDragon said:

AMD should just go with Intel's format and call their flag-ship the r9-10900k. Just to eff with people 🤣

What they apparently really really should have done is call their 3400g what it really was in the first place which was a 2400g this made the 4xxxg chips really 3xxxG chips.  A 4800h/u is really a voltage dropped 3700x with a Vega gpu attached.

The number change is apparently a way to erase old marketing sins because they can’t turn back time to do it right in the first place.  More evidence that marketing departments in general is suspect and need to be treated like weasels.  

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A 4800h/u is really a voltage dropped 3700x with a Vega gpu attached.

Not true at all, the 4800U/H are both monolithic designs vs chiplet, with much less cache.