Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Control Fan Curve - On the GPU backplate?

The 2nd idea I came up with to improve a graphics card design, it's was sooo much work to draw it out.

It may be too fictional, but it is an idea, not an implementation. As I don't know how actually to control fan speed on hardware side.

This card gives 3 modes for user:

default bypass - nothing set, just like fresh install of other graphic cards, for users who don't change settings

Summer without AC - reduce target temp and ramp up fan speed

Performance - ramp up everything

1683619595_manualcontrollc.thumb.png.38a23fc5296b34113b33b013007f26c2.png

Pros:

no more slow controller software download-installation and finally change settings (except when changing voltage)

setting is kept applied when installing GPU to a different OS (right now it can't even be done across Windows)

relatively cheaper than hire software engineers to write and maintain controller software, +greatly reduced server downloading fees

many manufactures are actually sucks on controller software, (e.g. MSI Aftb has a horrible fan curve controller, Aorus Engine can't start as windows start, and Unix based OS support?)

muuuuuch easier trimming fan speed and temperature - instant response and much better accuracy (0~255)

Cons:

more testing before release (accidentally overclocking fans, black screen because of wrong frequency)

may require a small monitor to show the current frequency and fan speed, or have to install things like a HWiNFO

dust get into sliders - more items to disassemble and to clean

different graphics card may use different mechanism to control fan speed, increases circuit design cost (or not?)

potential user anxiety and aesthetic problem

huge CPU cooler blocking sliders (give user a small claw thing to move sliders?)

Improvements can be done:

not as much as a 45° inclined slider angle - leaves more room for a secondary Vcore, Vmem, Vpackage controller that counters voltage fading

add a small monitor to see actual fan speed and clock speed

add a button to override fan curve and target temperature (to 100%) when GPU is too hot - to counter computer case airflow problems

I feel someone is going to ask why I use a lot of font colors, it's because people like RGBs so here it is :/

yeah nobody replies to a good design, I'm not an Apple engineer after all XD

5 minutes ago, iavoe said:

yeah nobody replies to a good design, I'm not an Apple engineer after all XD

The other day I was speculating over having 2x or 3x M.2 Drive (slots) installed INTO the Backplate design for NV-IO and AMD's alternative for GPU-Storage acceleration.

Can have airflow from front case fans, or internal GPU fans/heatsinks applied... but yeah,.. the idea of 2-3 M.2's on the back of the backplate, PCIE4.0 and could even at a driver level be extended VRAM-Cache (NVME Pre-Cache 5-9GB/s)

I like your idea better,. if it had lights and lightbars showing stats and specs in use... (inc profile switching like you mentioned summer vs winter bypass buttons (like a 1clickOC button)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

The other day I was speculating over having 2x or 3x M.2 Drive (slots) installed INTO the Backplate design for NV-IO and AMD's alternative for GPU-Storage acceleration.

Can have airflow from front case fans, or internal GPU fans/heatsinks applied... but yeah,.. the idea of 2-3 M.2's on the back of the backplate, PCIE4.0 and could even at a driver level be extended VRAM-Cache (NVME Pre-Cache 5-9GB/s)

I like your idea better,. if it had lights and lightbars showing stats and specs in use... (inc profile switching like you mentioned summer vs winter bypass buttons (like a 1clickOC button)

Well yeah but most GPUs actually don't even use all it's memory chip slots (disabled by core), to unlock that you have to buy a highest end, or hack its core I guess? It's strange why they have to spent time and effort to design something to like this