Is this amount of thermal paste enough on a GPU?

Is this amount ok or too much? It's an MSI Gaming X GTX1070. I have closed the GPU now and there is a noticeable decrease in temps. If it's too much, i can open it back up and clean it and re-apply.

20200928_113354.jpg

I mean technically it doesn't matter if you put too much it'll just make a mess, but yes that is way too much.

6 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

I mean technically it doesn't matter if you put two much it'll just make a mess, but yes that is way too much.

So i should just leave it as is? Not worth opening, cleaning and re-applying?

2 minutes ago, undercooked spaghetti said:

So i should just leave it as is? Not worth opening, cleaning and re-applying?

maybe like take the tiniest bit offf but it really dosent matter

Well, its enuff to cause inefficiency in thermal transfer if thats what you are aiming for

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

You only need a thick blup of this size, no need to spread. You can check and adjust if it doesn't make a thin layer on the entirety of the GPU heat spreader.

20200928_113354.thumb.jpg.c8fc5de96f0873c69e5442efc732c581~3.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

What are these, two full tubes of thermal paste? 😅

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You will be surprised how much you need sometimes, but in this case it looks much more than enough.

Recently cleaned up an old gtx 470 and gtx 480 reference model, the coolers don't come close to touching the die, I spread a thick layer of paste on and found no contact with the cooler, terrible cooler, thought it might be a thermal pad issue, but it was the same results with no pads.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, Shlouski said:

You will be surprised how much you need sometimes, but in this case it looks much more than enough.

Recently cleaned up an old gtx 470 and gtx 480 reference model, the coolers don't come close to touching the die, I spread a thick layer of paste on and found no contact with the cooler, terrible cooler, thought it might be a thermal pad issue, but it was the same results with no pads.

I think this is generally an issue when users do this (removing the cooler of a GPU) they're often not easy to reattach and it's difficult to get proper contact.

I don't think it's an issue with the coolers per say, just requires a lot of fiddling .

I've seen this a couple of times in videos, usually it's some small part being in the way which can be hard to see .

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't think it's an issue

20200522_062637.thumb.jpg.70046c9cd14a41ae9e3ea786c44a77ce.jpg

I have dismantled and clean every card in this picture, and that's just a few of the cards I've done, I promise you there are some poorly made coolers out there. 

I do agree that it is easy to mess up sometimes, especially when replacing thermal pads. Irrespective of how many times I've done it, I  do occasionally end up having to do it again, so people with less experience are of course going to run into more problems.

3 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I thought this was a joke.

It really takes that much for my gtx 470 and 480. Even test fitting without thermal pads, which if too thick can cause the die to be pushed away from the cooler, there is still a large gap. To improve the contact I would have to shave down all of the screw mounts and use thinner thermal pads.

From my experience it's the full card coolers, ones that cover all the components in one solid piece that suffer more often from poor die contact.

9 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

20200522_062637.thumb.jpg.70046c9cd14a41ae9e3ea786c44a77ce.jpg

I have dismantled and clean every card in this picture, and that's just a few of the cards I've done, I promise you there are some poorly made coolers out there. 

I do agree that it is easy to mess up sometimes, especially when replacing thermal pads. Irrespective of how many times I've done it, I  do occasionally end up having to do it again, so people with less experience are of course going to run into more problems.

It really takes that much for my gtx 470 and 480. Even test fitting without thermal pads, which if too thick can cause the die to be pushed away from the cooler, there is still a large gap. To improve the contact I would have to shave down all of the screw mounts and use thinner thermal pads.

From my experience it's the full card coolers, ones that cover all the components in one solid piece that suffer more often from poor die contact.

I don't doubt you know what you are doing. 

It's just anytime I've seen paste applied in a video it's always very small, pea sized drops, placed at specific points on the item in question. 

52 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

have dismantled and clean every card in this picture, and that's just a few of the cards I've done, I promise you there are some poorly made coolers out there

Haha, wow nice! well I don't doubt there are poorly made coolers I just meant IF it fit before then it should fit afterwards, and that these cards usually aren't made for maintenance aka easy user access . And yes totally possible some coolers actually don't fit, I dunno how common that is though :o

41 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

It's just anytime I've seen paste applied in a video it's always very small, pea sized drops, placed at specific points on the item in question. 

That's for CPUs, GPUs will generally require a lot more.

just saw this recently in the GN video showing liquid nitrogen cooling a 3090 (I think?) , they put a lot of thermal paste, but nothing excessive either, they made an X, pretty thick, but that's it, wayyy more than a CPU would require however.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/28/2020 at 3:43 AM, undercooked spaghetti said:

Is this amount ok or too much? It's an MSI Gaming X GTX1070. I have closed the GPU now and there is a noticeable decrease in temps. If it's too much, i can open it back up and clean it and re-apply.

If the temps are noticeably better then there's really no need to open it up again. Even if it is too much, which I agree with others it is.

Just use it as a reference for next time.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Haha, wow nice! well I don't doubt there are poorly made coolers I just meant IF it fit before then it should fit afterwards, and that these cards usually aren't made for maintenance aka easy user access . And yes totally possible some coolers actually don't fit, I dunno how common that is though :o

That's for CPUs, GPUs will generally require a lot more.

just saw this recently in the GN video showing liquid nitrogen cooling a 3090 (I think?) , they put a lot of thermal paste, but nothing excessive either, they made an X, pretty thick, but that's it, wayyy more than a CPU would require however.

Liquid nitrogen cooling?

I thought that was like a meme, a joke?

I didn't think it was actually used for cooling. 

9 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Liquid nitrogen cooling?

I thought that was like a meme, a joke?

I didn't think it was actually used for cooling. 

😂😅🤣 Really?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer