Do PSUs need regular replacing? Or only if it stops working?

GamerBlake
Just now, GamerBlake said:

So it doesn’t even matter what model? As long as it’s Corsair 80+ gold?

no, the rating doesnt mean quality or well regulated voltages

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Edited, i mean PSU.

Oh ok that’s what I thought you meant but wasn’t sure. 😆 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Just now, Moonzy said:

no, the rating doesnt mean quality or well regulated voltages

But he just said Corsair 80+ Gold is enough for a decent rig.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

So it doesn’t even matter what model? As long as it’s Corsair 80+ gold?

Kinda.... but it also depends if u need a modular or a semi modular psu

But he just said Corsair 80+ Gold is enough for a decent rig.

doesn't mean he's right, always take answers with a grain of salt (even mine)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i would generally replace a psu once the standard warranty period has passed just for peace of mind. is 100-200 bucks every 10-12 years that much of an investment for 100% peace of mind? maybe it is for some people, just set aside 10 bucks a year or something lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

6 minutes ago, MaximusAlpha said:

Kinda.... but it also depends if u need a modular or a semi modular psu

Mine is modular.

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Regarding Corsair PSU-s I found and interesting hierarchy page- http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html
RM(850)x is quite high, as expected.

Why do they emphasize “All Japanese caps”? 🤔 

Best variety of caps as far as I've read. Chinese tend to be worse.

I edit my posts more often than not

One of the conecrns in old PSU is ripple, the PSU don't measures it, and not all failures got trigger by protections, high ripple is hardware killer, if you know what you are doing, a good starting point is look for swollen caps.

16 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

I think it was something down the lines of "not all Japanese caps are good, but all good caps are Japanese". So its just a marketing ploy.

Edit: could have been the other way around "not all good caps are Japanese, but all Japanese caps are good?" or something like "Never seen a bad Japanese cap".... can't remember now. I think it was @jonnyGURU who said it in an interview with GN years ago

4 minutes ago, MaximusAlpha said:

Ru thinking of getting a 3080?

Not sure yet. I have a 2080 Ti right now and idk if the 30% performance increase is worth $700 + tax after I already spent $1299 + tax on my 2080 Ti.

Plus 3080’s seem to always be out of stock.

Ook. Like even some companies r cheeping out on the parts, so some cards r crashing out of the box itself 

10 minutes ago, AnonimFan said:

Well they will stop working, you replace it.

Well I know that I just wanted to make sure nothing dangerous happens when they do stop working. I don’t want any of my components fried or my PSU to catch fire or anything like that.

56 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Does anyone happen to know if PSUs should be replaced every X years? Like fire alarm batteries? Or will my PSU ( RM850x Gold) be good until it stops working one day?

I just don’t want my PC (or home) to catch fire or anything. Nor do I want my PSU to be risking damaging my PC or components.

Generally once the warranty period expires it's time to replace them.

Or if building a new PC or doing a major upgrade and the PSU is getting old then it's best to switch it out.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Well I know that I just wanted to make sure nothing dangerous happens when they do stop working. I don’t want any of my components fried or my PSU to catch fire or anything like that.

I don’t think any of that is gonna happen when they stop working 

So many different opinions in this thread it's amazing. Here's mine! :D

The RM850x has Corsair Link compatibility and a USB connector for it, right? My RM650i does, and I think those are basically the same platform save for a cheaper fan on the RMx. If so, just hook it up and check the rails occasionally. If they're drifting far from where they should be (i.e., 11v coming in on the 12v rail), it's time to consider RMA if there's still warranty on it, or replacement if there's not. For me, it's as simple as that.

If your system doesn't have Corsair Link, it's more about the load behavior to me. If it starts to regularly crash while gaming and you've already ruled out issues with the GPU, RAM and mobo, it's probably a PSU on its way out that doesn't like the load. If the system occasionally just dies and won't come back on until you flip the PSU power off and back on, that's probably an issue. If the system just doesn't respond to the power button in any way, shape, or form, doesn't even light up when connected to power, no signs of life at all, probably a PSU. It really just comes down to troubleshooting, but...if you believe your PSU is failing and you like your hardware, proceed with extreme caution. Maybe even just RMA it if it's still under warranty and you don't have a safe way of testing a PSU that you think is in bad shape.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

8 minutes ago, MaximusAlpha said:

I don’t think any of that is gonna happen when they stop working 

A catastrophic failure can happen when the PSU "stops working". Defective or dying PSUs are not something to be taken lightly.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

So many different opinions in this thread it's amazing.

The RM850x has Corsair Link compatibility and a USB connector for it, right? My RM650i does, and I think those are basically the same platform save for a cheaper fan on the RMx. If so, just hook it up and check the rails occasionally. If they're drifting far from where they should be (i.e., 11v coming in on the 12v rail), it's time to consider RMA if there's still warranty on it, or replacement if there's not. For me, it's as simple as that.

If your system doesn't have Corsair Link, it's more about the load behavior to me. If it starts to regularly crash while gaming and you've already ruled out issues with the GPU, RAM and mobo, it's probably a PSU on its way out that doesn't like the load. If the system occasionally just dies and won't come back on until you flip the PSU power off and back on, that's probably an issue. If the system just doesn't respond to the power button in any way, shape, or form, doesn't even light up when connected to power, no signs of life at all, probably a PSU. It really just comes down to troubleshooting, but...if you believe your PSU is failing and you like your hardware, proceed with extreme caution. Maybe even just RMA it if it's still under warranty and you don't have a safe way of testing a PSU that you think is in bad shape.

I don’t think it came with Corsair Link. I didn’t see anything like that in the box anyway. Just the PSU and the normal regular cables that go with it. Except in modular form.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

A catastrophic failure can happen when the PSU "stops working". Defective or dying PSUs are not something to be taken lightly.

Is that common though? Or is it one of those 1% or less occurrences?

4 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

I don’t think it came with Corsair Link. I didn’t see anything like that in the box anyway. Just the PSU and the normal regular cables that go with it. Except in modular form.

You're right, I don't see a Corsair Link port on the RM850x. My bad. You should still be able to check the rails in BIOS, and I think HWMonitor can do it? Not 100% sure, as the only HWMonitor I regularly look at is connected to Corsair Link.

4 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Is that common though? Or is it one of those 1% or less occurrences?

I would be more worried about the standard changing or NVIDIA releasing an RTX Infinite80 that uses 1,000,000,000W than I would an exploding cap on an RM850x.

54 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok thanks! I think 10 years or lifetime is the warranty period so does that mean if it does in 10 years I can just send it in for another? 😳 

It's 10 years, and if you experience any problems with the RMx within that 10 years period, you can have it sent in for warranty.

One thing I feel like I should point out though. Be wary of products that has lifetime warranty and always look at the terms and conditions of the warranty. You would like to think that a "lifetime" warranty is better than a 10 or 12 year warranty, but in actuality, it's not as "lifetime" is a rather ambiguous term. Does it mean the lifetime of the owner, the product, the series, etc? If a product had been discontinued within 2 years, then does that mean the life of that product is 2 years and thus it's "lifetime" warranty has ended.