What was university like for you guys?

9 minutes ago, comander said:

-snip

It has its uses for sure but the general class far exceeds that. there is suppose to be a version for IT but I've never seen it pop up in schedules

I just tend to really hate proofs and do this by hand

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, comander said:

Don't get me wrong, the way classes are structured isn't perfect. 

It doesn't hurt to be a bit "overqualified" as opposed to underqualified. 

Imagine you're competing against someone at Stanford that's studying Applied Math with a computing concentration and who did a CCNA for fun when he was 19 and interned at Microsoft doing something IT-related and whose part time job had him revamp a department's IT network... because I'm willing to bet that someone like that exists.

I'd much rather be over than under.

I do have something a little special, an internship at NERSC

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, comander said:

Sounds legit (after looking it up). Push it. 
Also don't be afraid to market it - "US Department of Energy - National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC) - Top 10 Super Computer"
Make sure you're able to write as many "big numbers" as possible, especially if they're attached ot $$$ (saved $1M in electricity by... maintained $2BN of equipment... etc.)
And stay hungry. 

I will when the time comes, I'm still in college and if all goes well I should be able to get an extension to make it last more than just the year. I'm helping to install their new one Perlmutter

2 hours ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

The fact that someone with a PHD in Electrical Engineering can't teach a simple circuit analysis class worries me.

Get used to it. I don't think being able to teach is a specific requirement for PHDs. I've a PHD candidate in the past as an instructor who was not only incompetent in teaching (literally was just reading off slides FROM ANOTHER PROFESSOR), but was the most arrogant person I've ever met. There were a few times where it was a literal war of words between the instructor and the entire class. It got so bad that administration had to step in. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Huh... 2.7 is low for a GPA? Well, after the first year I spent at University, my cumulative GPA was 0.9.

I decided to go to University to study Music. I was stupid, my parents offered to pay my way (more on this down below), and I got REALLY unlucky.

First, I started University when the financial BS happened. The University I attended was losing money, and teaching budgets were getting wrecked by this. Due to this, the required class for Freshman, Colloquium, had fewer classes, which meant more students, and fewer time slots. I had a perfect time slot for Colloquium, in a smallish class, with other students I got along with. Great. After the second term, they nixed that time slot; I was dumped into another class with an absolutely terrible time slot, with people I did not know, a teacher I did not know, in an over booked class. I think there were 93 students in the class? Colloquium is intended to be run as a set of 3 classes, and you are not generally allowed to shift to another class. When I got dumped into this new one, I had to basically catch up for 2/3 of an entire year worth of projects, with a teacher who flat out didn't give a crap about me, was being overworked, and underpaid. I was smart, and recognized this very early into the term, and dropped out in the first week of class. :D 

Second, the music program sucked. Like, genuinely sucked. I wanted to go into Music Performance; this program was entirely aimed at Composition, with a slight focus on teaching. Basically, this program was 100% aimed at people who wanted to write music, or to be Music Teachers. As such, the program required all music students to take Piano, Aural Skills, and a Singing class. I was a rather good Cello player, at the time, but was way more interested in Bass. I also could play the: Violin, Viola, Banjo, Guitar, Bass Guitar, and Mandolin. If it had strings, I could make it sing. However, my skills with music did NOT translate into Piano. I knew the keys, and I could plink and plonk around, but actually learning Piano was not in my interest, and even if it was, a linear instrument like a Piano is very much not going to happen for me. So, I was putting in genuine effort (I had a Piano at home, so I practiced a lot!), but the effort was not translating into skill. The instructor, a Russian immigrant, decided this meant I was not practicing, and therefore, my grade sucked there.

Aural skills wasn't difficult: You basically listen, then either sing or play back what you heard. You didn't have to be precise, but you had to be close. I had little interest in this class, but I did find it fun, and rather easy. Playing instruments without frets, I was used to pitch-matching, but even then, my grade in this class wasn't perfect.

And then we get to the Singing class. Our teacher in this class divided the class into two groups (in her own mind, not on the seating chart or in reality): Those who were going to be in her Choir, and everyone else. If you were in her Choir, you got an A+ in the class. If you were not in her Choir, you basically could get a B, at best, or if she didn't like you, you might get lucky and get a C. I wasn't in her Choir, and she didn't just dislike me, she HATED me, so I basically got an F both terms I had her.

My parents made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid, and I didn't have a job to move out. My parents didn't have enough to support me in moving out, either. So, they offered to pay for my University, but I had to have good grades. After the first year, they told me they would 'write off' the first year, but I had to improve the second year... But, after I had a fight with my Music Department advisor (my favorite teacher was my advisor, but she was going on sabbatical for one term, so all of her students were moved to, you guessed it, the teacher that HATED me), I informed her that I had found a job, and was not intending to return to the program. To my SHOCK, she actually begged me to stay.

I found out about 2 months later that the Music department imploded. The Music department had had 350-360 enrolled students the year before I attended; the year I decided not to go back, they had less than 70 enrolled students. Some of the music teachers were laid off, and the large band organization that partnered with the school dropped them (the American Band College, I think?), and last I heard, the teacher I liked the most had retired and was living with her wife on the other side of the state.

After working for 4 years at ONE job (yeah, from failure, to success, sort of), I got tired of working for almost nothing, so I went to a local Community College, and got a 2 year degree. My cumulative GPA, including the first year of University, was a 3.5 when I got my degree. :D But, sadly, that degree has done absolutely nothing for me. At least I got grants, so I wasn't in debt afterwords.

Edit: I just remembered, my favorite teacher did move to the other side of the state, with her wife, but she got Tenure at a prestigious state university, instead of the tiny little bumpkin town University where I went. I think she was also in one of the state's more prestigious Symphonies, but I couldn't swear to that, though I do know her wife was in said Symphony. :D 

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Well not from the US so it might be different, took my engineering degree a lot of years back. 

there was actually a lot of learnings in that, however even with that selfstudy is a big part of it, some of the learnings that i have used to most, is curiosity and the ability to self study a new area.

as an engineer, i have to be hungry for learning, or else i just loose relevance, looking back the most value i got, was the cooperation with companies, where we as students, went out and did a project for a company, we did 2 of these every half year, and the exam was a 1/2 year full time project delivery.

i´ve always hated school mostly because the need for a challenge, in the lower levels, doing stuff, that you could do in your sleep. i Denmark, we all run the same program, so all get the same basic education, so you do wait for people. 

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Get used to it. I don't think being able to teach is a specific requirement for PHDs. I've a PHD candidate in the past as an instructor who was not only incompetent in teaching (literally was just reading off slides FROM ANOTHER PROFESSOR), but was the most arrogant person I've ever met. There were a few times where it was a literal war of words between the instructor and the entire class. It got so bad that administration had to step in. 

Something similar actually happened at m uni. A girl missed a few classes because her father had passed and the professor refused to let do the exam for that specific course because she wasn't meeting the attendance requirement. She went and complained to the director of the uni and was allowed by him to do the exam. Fast forward to the exam day, the professor throws a fucking tantrum because the director went against his "principles". Since he was refusing to listen to the director and was being blatantly arrogant, he was fired. My uni, for some reason, eventually brought him back, but this time, WITH A PAY RAISE. 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

Hopefully I'm into performing arts and the professors don't have a PHD in EE xD I've lost this year though, due to the virus, definitely not the best moment to become an actress but hey.... that's my luck.

I'm into tech but that's all, it's not something that I would've chosen as a career, mainly because I don't like math.

Well, best of luck to you in pursuing your acting career. If you ever make it big, get me a free movie ticket, will ya?

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

Huh... 2.7 is low for a GPA? Well, after the first year I spent at University, my cumulative GPA was 0.9.

I decided to go to University to study Music. I was stupid, my parents offered to pay my way (more on this down below), and I got REALLY unlucky.

First, I started University when the financial BS happened. The University I attended was losing money, and teaching budgets were getting wrecked by this. Due to this, the required class for Freshman, Colloquium, had fewer classes, which meant more students, and fewer time slots. I had a perfect time slot for Colloquium, in a smallish class, with other students I got along with. Great. After the second term, they nixed that time slot; I was dumped into another class with an absolutely terrible time slot, with people I did not know, a teacher I did not know, in an over booked class. I think there were 93 students in the class? Colloquium is intended to be run as a set of 3 classes, and you are not generally allowed to shift to another class. When I got dumped into this new one, I had to basically catch up for 2/3 of an entire year worth of projects, with a teacher who flat out didn't give a crap about me, was being overworked, and underpaid. I was smart, and recognized this very early into the term, and dropped out in the first week of class. :D 

Second, the music program sucked. Like, genuinely sucked. I wanted to go into Music Performance; this program was entirely aimed at Composition, with a slight focus on teaching. Basically, this program was 100% aimed at people who wanted to write music, or to be Music Teachers. As such, the program required all music students to take Piano, Aural Skills, and a Singing class. I was a rather good Cello player, at the time, but was way more interested in Bass. I also could play the: Violin, Viola, Banjo, Guitar, Bass Guitar, and Mandolin. If it had strings, I could make it sing. However, my skills with music did NOT translate into Piano. I knew the keys, and I could plink and plonk around, but actually learning Piano was not in my interest, and even if it was, a linear instrument like a Piano is very much not going to happen for me. So, I was putting in genuine effort (I had a Piano at home, so I practiced a lot!), but the effort was not translating into skill. The instructor, a Russian immigrant, decided this meant I was not practicing, and therefore, my grade sucked there.

Aural skills wasn't difficult: You basically listen, then either sing or play back what you heard. You didn't have to be precise, but you had to be close. I had little interest in this class, but I did find it fun, and rather easy. Playing instruments without frets, I was used to pitch-matching, but even then, my grade in this class wasn't perfect.

And then we get to the Singing class. Our teacher in this class divided the class into two groups (in her own mind, not on the seating chart or in reality): Those who were going to be in her Choir, and everyone else. If you were in her Choir, you got an A+ in the class. If you were not in her Choir, you basically could get a B, at best, or if she didn't like you, you might get lucky and get a C. I wasn't in her Choir, and she didn't just dislike me, she HATED me, so I basically got an F both terms I had her.

My parents made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid, and I didn't have a job to move out. My parents didn't have enough to support me in moving out, either. So, they offered to pay for my University, but I had to have good grades. After the first year, they told me they would 'write off' the first year, but I had to improve the second year... But, after I had a fight with my Music Department advisor (my favorite teacher was my advisor, but she was going on sabbatical for one term, so all of her students were moved to, you guessed it, the teacher that HATED me), I informed her that I had found a job, and was not intending to return to the program. To my SHOCK, she actually begged me to stay.

I found out about 2 months later that the Music department imploded. The Music department had had 350-360 enrolled students the year before I attended; the year I decided not to go back, they had less than 70 enrolled students. Some of the music teachers were laid off, and the large band organization that partnered with the school dropped them (the American Band College, I think?), and last I heard, the teacher I liked the most had retired and was living with her wife on the other side of the state.

After working for 4 years at ONE job (yeah, from failure, to success, sort of), I got tired of working for almost nothing, so I went to a local Community College, and got a 2 year degree. My cumulative GPA, including the first year of University, was a 3.5 when I got my degree. :D But, sadly, that degree has done absolutely nothing for me. At least I got grants, so I wasn't in debt afterwords.

Edit: I just remembered, my favorite teacher did move to the other side of the state, with her wife, but she got Tenure at a prestigious state university, instead of the tiny little bumpkin town University where I went. I think she was also in one of the state's more prestigious Symphonies, but I couldn't swear to that, though I do know her wife was in said Symphony. :D 

I had an experience similar to your experience with that choir teacher. In my second semester, we had these two teachers that were teaching this electronics course to different classes. This one class got the good teacher and as soon as he came in on the first day, he literally said "everyone taking my class has passed this course. Don't worry." while the teacher we got never said anything like that and very well-known for acting like an asshole and throwing tantrums. Funny thing is, a lot of the people in my place that have GPAs of 3.5 and above got the good teachers in the previous semesters while everyone with a GPA of 3.0 and below got the bad ones.

I went to university a long time ago. Did electronic engineering although I started on electrical and electronic engineering. A small difference perhaps, but I transferred course so I could avoid one specific lecturer who was useless. First year was pretty basic, but they were making sure everyone was up to a standard so there were areas which I had somewhat seen before, but also new areas. Only in later years did it go more into depth.

I suppose my take away point is you get out of it what you want. That reflected on my overall result of an upper 2nd class degree (UK system, also known as a 2:1), which is considered a good pass. Not as good as a 1st class, but better than a lower 2nd class. 3rd class is a technical pass but not worth the paper it is printed on as you can get it if you can write your own name on the exam paper. I kinda did the minimum work required to pass, but I also had the knack of cramming for exams the day before so I did relatively well in those. Even the final year exams which made up the bulk of the score, I didn't revise more than a few days before each exam. Anything earlier than that, I'd forget.

For my career, it got me my first job which I stuck with for a long time until events changed. I'm no longer with them since earlier this year and not motivated to look for alternate in a similar area. In that area, to get anywhere you generally do need a degree or relevant experience, but the latter is hard to get without the first. I have worked with many great people without a degree but they got their break in other ways.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I didn't take full advantage of university when I could and I kind of regret it now. I spent too much time gaming and just doing the bare minimum. Maybe it's not that bad, I still enjoyed my time there, but it could have been much more productive and meaningful, my fellow students were quite passionate about the subjects and I could have made some nice projects if I had put myself out there more. I studied multimedia technologies and was interested in video game development, 3D and animation. I'm doing other, less exciting things now and I just wonder if the joy of making games would have stayed if I had tried harder in uni. But I guess I realized that I only like playing games and that making them takes a completely different personality.

its a complete scam.

in my calculus class the exams have nothing to do with the professor teaches so pretty much everyone in the class is failing and then the math department head stepped in and administered us an exam that replace our 3 lowest exam grades. There are only 4 exams in total and it was super easy I got 100% on it. 

In my chem class it was pretty much the same thing and then in the end the professor say our final grade can replace our grade in the class and told us to come to the SI session with a wink. And then at the SI session he takes out the final exam and goes over every question on the final.

So at the end I'm left questioning what's the point I learned much more in high school classes than in college.

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its a complete scam.

in my calculus class the exams have nothing to do with the professor teaches so pretty much everyone in the class is failing and then the math department head stepped in and administered us an exam that replace our 3 lowest exam grades. There are only 4 exams in total and it was super easy I got 100% on it. 

In my chem class it was pretty much the same thing and then in the end the professor say our final grade can replace our grade in the class and told us to come to the SI session with a wink. And then at the SI session he takes out the final exam and goes over every question on the final.

So at the end I'm left questioning what's the point I learned much more in high school classes than in college.

That sounds more like a poor school than anything... sorry to hear you got stuck with that, though.

I suppose I should consider myself fortunate. I was in English (so clearly a different kind of academic climate to start with), and most if not all of my professors were knowledgeable, kind, and produced great curriculums that were directly relevant to a given course, however general it might have been. Even an Old English class (Beowulf, Battle of Maldon, et. al.) was useful in teaching the importance of translating the spirit of what someone says rather than the literal word-for-word conversion.

I was an undergraduate. and from my experience what I noticed is that the uni only showed me what was available in the industry and what was trending. The decision is yours to choose which path to take and the learning part was all upto u to do on ur own. most lecturers would come in swipe around a slideshow and go away. in the end of the module u would be given a massive assignment where u really never get any help from the study materials that they provide or what the lecturer taught in class. They dont support much either. This is where the indian guys on YouTube steps in :D. For most lecturers it was all about covering the syllabus. Mind u some lecturers really did try and much respect should be given to them.      

The sad thing in these degrees is that it was only about passing and getting to the next level more than learning. As a result many of them cheated their way out as well. 

And many of them usually say that the uni life is where u really have fun and make some great memories but for me I never really had any of that either. In the end it felt like I have wasted my teenage years but u need that degree for jobs these days because thats how the world works sadly.

My college experience was girls, alcohol, and depression.

I dropped out.  My grades and GPA dropped too low and student loans were taken away.  

1st year was pretty great.  First semester was a little sketch but I managed it.  Met a girl and we had some fun, second semester went smooth as butter and I met another girl and we had fun.  Pretty much spent most of the first semester hung over cause I was drinking way too much.  I was stupid.  

2nd year starts and by this point my depression had fucking dipped.  I would stay in and not get out of bed or go to class, my sleep schedule was erratic, and I was always miss class.  I kept going to work just to have a paycheck but I was missing school.  As a result my grades went too far into freefall for me to keep up with them, and I had no choice but to drop out.  

College wasn't great for me.  I had some fun, I made some friends, but I don't miss it.  In the end even with how the shit went for me, I don't regret doing it.  It was an experience I am glad I had.

But I'm much better off now.  I have a career, amazing benefits, my own place, a cat, a new car and phone.  I have a much smaller group of friends now, but they're pretty tight, so I'm happy with that.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

From my limited experience in suceeding in 1st year of undergrad and then failing 2nd year the first time and failing 2nd year less badly the 2nd time, a lot of what others have said holds true.

I will say though University is a big scam outside of classes that you can't teach yourself.

In Computer Science, 90% or more was just teaching yourself it because the lecturers didn't do a great job teaching it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I went to a state university and got my BSME in 2013.

The classes I took in the first two years or so within the engineering program were very openly setup to reduce the class sizes and weed out those who didn't really want to be there. With few exceptions the professors were passively involved at best, you were largely responsible for teaching yourself what needed to be done in the classes. I remember My calc2 class in particular which was extremely rough, the class average at the end of the semester was 42%. The basic course material was rough, but the exams were setup so that only 1-2 our of a class of 100ish would score better than 85% in an effort to find potential math majors, for most of the class they exams may as well have been written in hieroglyphics, you rarely got far enough to actually answer a question, you just went as far as you could.

Things changed drastically once you got into the 300-400 level classes, the professors instantly became much much more helpful and class sizes went from ~100 to ~25. I honestly think my 2nd year was by far the hardest year, after that things were comparatively easy. 

Although outside of classes, I would highly recommend you join club or student organization that's related to your major. I was a member of our Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) chapter for my whole time and President for two years. It really helps to make friends within the major, and that makes classes a lot easier as you have more resources for people who may have a better understanding of a particular topic than you do. Also they can be stupid amounts of fun.  

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 hours ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

I had an experience similar to your experience with that choir teacher. In my second semester, we had these two teachers that were teaching this electronics course to different classes. This one class got the good teacher and as soon as he came in on the first day, he literally said "everyone taking my class has passed this course. Don't worry." while the teacher we got never said anything like that and very well-known for acting like an asshole and throwing tantrums. Funny thing is, a lot of the people in my place that have GPAs of 3.5 and above got the good teachers in the previous semesters while everyone with a GPA of 3.0 and below got the bad ones.

I had a highschool that had a rule that was basically the inverse of that. If you had a good GPA, you got the crap tier teachers, but if you had bad grades, you got the top tier teachers. This enabled more students to get better grades, and it also allowed the PTA and some local political organization to allow the school district to fire truly bad teachers. The crap tier teachers also realized this, so they generally put in slightly more effort, while lower GPA students realized they were getting better options for teachers, and thus, put in more effort themselves, which ended up being a win win for the school, students, and most of the teachers.

Seems like mixed reviews on the college experience.

I retire in 3 years and I'm looking forward to going to college, i think it'll be fun to learn a new trade and when i graduate i'll have like 3 or 4 different skills to market if i want to get another job.

56 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I had a highschool that had a rule that was basically the inverse of that. If you had a good GPA, you got the crap tier teachers, but if you had bad grades, you got the top tier teachers. This enabled more students to get better grades, and it also allowed the PTA and some local political organization to allow the school district to fire truly bad teachers. The crap tier teachers also realized this, so they generally put in slightly more effort, while lower GPA students realized they were getting better options for teachers, and thus, put in more effort themselves, which ended up being a win win for the school, students, and most of the teachers.

I'm glad things worked out for your high school. You must've had a decent experience.

1 hour ago, airborne spoon said:

Seems like mixed reviews on the college experience.

I retire in 3 years and I'm looking forward to going to college, i think it'll be fun to learn a new trade and when i graduate i'll have like 3 or 4 different skills to market if i want to get another job.

I wouldn't let what the others and I are saying about university get you all worried about going to uni soon. Your uni experience might be better than ours.

9 hours ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

I'm glad things worked out for your high school. You must've had a decent experience.

I did, mostly. I was a good student, except I hated doing homework, especially for subjects I found easy. Other than that, I had a pretty decent time in HS.

half way through a buissness degree in my hometown. This uni is kind of ass socially and it dosent seem like anyone from class actually hang out with each other or even speak to each other. I went over for a weekend to my friends in a uni town and had way more fun, people seemed really nice. Will probably do my masters degree over there as it seems to have a way better enviorment than im currently in.

5 hours ago, mousesnob said:

half way through a buissness degree in my hometown. This uni is kind of ass socially and it dosent seem like anyone from class actually hang out with each other or even speak to each other. I went over for a weekend to my friends in a uni town and had way more fun, people seemed really nice. Will probably do my masters degree over there as it seems to have a way better enviorment than im currently in.

It's good that you have the option for a uni with a decent environment for your masters degree. Best of luck to you.

A waste of time.

"Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't teach, teach college.

Those who can't teach college, have tenure."

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.