What they don't tell you about high refresh rate monitors

InputLag

This has been an issue with nvidia and amd since forever.  Their drivers don't like mixed resolution monitors, nvidia is a little worse off.   Both my old r9 290x (kept vram running at full tilt) and my 1660ti (kept clock speed and vram high) had issues with mixed resolutions.  . 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Just now, miagisan said:

This has been an issue with nvidia and amd since forever.  Their drivers don't like mixed resolution monitors, nvidia is a little worse off.   Both my old r9 290x (kept vram running at full tilt) and my 1660ti (kept clock speed and vram high) had issues with mixed resolutions.  . 

So it definitely is an issue on their end and I am being stonewalled. Thanks for further confirming that.

1 hour ago, InputLag said:

So it definitely is an issue on their end and I am being stonewalled. Thanks for further confirming that.

Yeah but this goes back generations of cards. For nvidia I think it started with the 9xx or 10xx series.  I know it existed on the amd side back in the 2xx series.  Nothing you can do about it.    

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

3 hours ago, miagisan said:

Yeah but this goes back generations of cards. For nvidia I think it started with the 9xx or 10xx series.  I know it existed on the amd side back in the 2xx series.  Nothing you can do about it.    

Just for fun, I tried turning the new monitors to 1080p/165hz and 1440p/60hz and it seems the issue is not just mismatched resolutions but refresh rates as well. Everything needs to match. So it's seemingly that it needs to fully match and g-sync doesn't matter (as its been on the entire time). Further testting suggests that I can also go lower than 1080p/60 but not higher.

But I'll have to disagree on "nothing we can do". We spend a lot of time and money on this stuff, we should definitely demand more out of it than this.

11 hours ago, InputLag said:

Just for fun, I tried turning the new monitors to 1080p/165hz and 1440p/60hz and it seems the issue is not just mismatched resolutions but refresh rates as well. Everything needs to match. So it's seemingly that it needs to fully match and g-sync doesn't matter (as its been on the entire time). Further testting suggests that I can also go lower than 1080p/60 but not higher.

But I'll have to disagree on "nothing we can do". We spend a lot of time and money on this stuff, we should definitely demand more out of it than this.

Which is why I went to ultra wide single monitors.   Enjoy it more, less hassle and no bezels

— Grumpy old man

11 hours ago, miagisan said:

Which is why I went to ultra wide single monitors.   Enjoy it more, less hassle and no bezels

I'm a little past the return at this point unfortunately. I don't think I could make that switch and even then it'd need to be huge to be the same size as 2 27 inch monitors no?

• 2 weeks later...

They've stopped responding to me altogether. These crooks. Just downclock the freaking card!!

One thing I noticed and this used to not work but killing G-sync and setting all monitors to 60hz regardless of resolution remedies the issue but who buys 165hz monitors and an RTX GPU to do that?