rtx 3080 crashing possibly due to capacitor choice

spartaman64
4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they apparently didnt the picture on their website is a preproduction model apparently since someone who got a 3080 ftw3 has pictures of it with 2 mlcc

Yeah I can't see EVGA destroying it's brand to save $1.72 per card. It's not gunning for that low price point. Was a bit surprised not to see 6 mlcc on the ftw3 given it's the higher tier in the line up. Will be interesting when these 20GB models come out will they be using 6 mlcc.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Just now, Maticks said:

Yeah I can't see EVGA destroying it's brand to save $1.72 per card. It's not gunning for that low price point. Was a bit surprised not to see 6 mlcc on the ftw3 or given it's the higher tier in the line up.

uh nvm apparently some have 6 poscaps and some have 4 poscap and 2 mlcc

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So the affectedtd AIBs are going BELLOW specs from Nvidia. I would say: Return the card now!

No buts! The card was improperly built to specification, you, as a consumer, been had. If they cut there, they probably cut at other places too. 

Return it, and buy from a AIB that doesn't cheat its customers. If you don't, you essentially agree that it is OK for manufactures to sales you overpriced crap.

For most people in the world, people are still in their return window. There will NOT be a recall. Cost too much. The affected manufacture will release a vBIOS which will gimp the GPU abilities to 'solve' the problem.

I agree with this, no point in spending like $750-800 on an AIB card only for it to have worse capacitors than the FE model, although I'd like to see GamersNexus or Jayztwocents do some testing to see these affects cards crash.

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

uh nvm apparently some have 6 poscaps and some have 4 poscap and 2 mlcc

Interesting so there is a lot more to the story. So there might be cleaner power from the vrms so no need for as much on the GPU. I guess we are going to see a lot more on card power breakdown. Gigabyte and zotach was crashing. That's what started all this talk

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

*goes off to play witcherIII on a rx580@1080p60hz*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Maticks said:

Interesting so there is a lot more to the story. So there might be cleaner power from the vrms so no need for as much on the GPU. I guess we are going to see a lot more on card power breakdown. Gigabyte and zotach was crashing. That's what started all this talk

At the same time that Jay is saying there can be more to take into account than simply having MLCC rather than POSCAP caps for the GPU filtering, he's also pointed-out, it seems accurately, that the GPUs which are having the issue are the ones with all POSCAP caps.

So, in general theory, there might be more to take into account in a chain of filtering. But in practice here, the MLCC vs POSCAP test seems to be a reliable guide right now.

1 hour ago, BroliviaWilde said:

And Jacob's announcement heavily corroborates that the issue does come down to MLCC vs POSCAP GPU filtering in this case:

"During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch."

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, xxvoodooxx said:

uh oh i just ordered the MSI VENTUS 3090

it has 1 mlcc. not the best but not the worst either

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

it has 1 mlcc. not the best but not the worst either

It has 2 MLCC i just saw the board online 3090 FE has 2 MLCC too, is there crashes reported on the RTX 3090? im scared :(

4 minutes ago, xxvoodooxx said:

It has 2 MLCC i just saw the board online 3090 FE has 2 MLCC too, is there crashes reported on the RTX 3090? im scared :(

oh sorry you said 3090 and yep 2 mlcc is fine since thats what nvidia recommends

2 mlcc's is the way to go apparently. 

Interesting these GPU's are THAT picky about power filtering.

But a crash to desktop on JUST released cards is actually quite common if we look to the past. 

I sit on hands and tongue in cheek. Awaiting the outcome before a purchase.

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

oh sorry you said 3090 and yep 2 mlcc is fine since thats what nvidia recommends

Ok... but wow Gigabyte and Zotac uses 6 POSCAP while ASUS is the only card that uses all MLCC

2 minutes ago, xxvoodooxx said:

Ok... but wow Gigabyte and Zotac uses 6 POSCAP while ASUS is the only card that uses all MLCC

yeah zotac at least is having a lot of problems right now idk about gigabyte. but as jay said its not the entire story. mlccs clearly help a lot and honestly from when i looked up how much they cost theres no excuse not to use them. they are literally saving less than a cent per card. but there also the other power delivery components of the card etc etc

@spartaman64

Buildzoid's opinion:

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Huh, looks like the supply wasn't the biggest problem with the RTX3080 launch.

Well kinda glad im to poor to have bought a new gpu at launch

One thing I wonder about though, most electrical components generally drop in efficiency when under heavy thermal loads. Be it capacitors or MOSFETs, when they are hot, they are nowhere near as efficient as when they operate at much lower temperatures. That's especially apparent with MOSFETs. What I'm wondering here is, why aere almost everyone having these cutouts on the back of the GPU instead of placing a thermal pad there and connecting it with the backplate. There is no way an exposed SMDs will be as cool as ones touching a large metal plate. I have one on my AORUS GTX 1080Ti and it gets pretty hot. And it used to be a general design thing in recent years for back of GPU to also have extra heat dissipation layer. And here we have, one of most powerful and also power hungry cards at the moment and it has an exposed back of GPU on basically all models and even those that have it covered don't even have a thermal pad underneath. Now, I'm not familiar with these particular SMDs and if they get worse with higher temperature, but I'd gladly pay 10 or 20 bucks more for it to be done properly. It's not like I'm buying new graphic cards every year so I can forget that extra cost in favor of better build quality.

I hope all this will be a lesson for the future and none of AIB's or NVIDIA design guidelines will let such idiocies through. I mean, has anyone, to this date ever bothered to care what kind of components are soldered on the back of the card? In 20+ years of buying graphic cards, I never looked or cared about that part.

I'm buying an FE so luckily that's a pretty high quality board.

(even if it does crash, I'm not at all against downclocking 50 MHz).

Sad to see this, but I was sort of expecting launch issues. I feel for all those who bought cards that are heavily affected though

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Main issue might not be hardware. The cards may just be boosting too high. POSCAP issue may just be on a few boards (like Zotac for example) not a widespread issue

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

3 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Main issue might not be hardware. The cards may just be boosting too high. POSCAP issue may just be on a few boards (like Zotac for example) not a widespread issue

This is Not a true disagreement, but a realigning of specifics:

Buildzoid went off on the term poscap. It apparently is a brand name for one type of capacitor not the term for that type of capacitor.  
Apparently it IS a hardware issue, but one that could be mitigated with software, so therefore it will be, since hardware can’t be downloaded. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is Not a true disagreement, but a realigning of specifics:

Buildzoid went off on the term poscap. It apparently is a brand name for one type of capacitor not the term for that type of capacitor.  
Apparently it IS a hardware issue, but one that could be mitigated with software, so therefore it will be, since hardware can’t be downloaded. 

The problem is that it will affect benchmarks.

One might have pick brand/model A instead of B, but after the update on A, B is now better than A. Heck, B might be the same price or less than A.

Sure you can say it will be a few fps, but at the end of the day, the consumer was miss lead.

If I was affected, I would have already returned the GPU. I would let the dust settle, and buy it again later.

In the mean time I would put some old GPU (if I was on AMD system) or use Intel integrated graphics.... I mean, assuming I can't live without gaming for a month... what big game is to play now, in any case? (if you get what I mean).

13 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Interesting these GPU's are THAT picky about power filtering.

Nvidia is afraid of what AMD might be releasing so they have those cards running at the very ragged edge.  It could have been decided that it was going to be OK and then count on process improvements to give them a little more headroom down the road. 

I believe that this is an indication that Nvidia was caught sleeping and they are taking the threat of AMD serious again.   Time will tell where this all lands and how serious a threat AMD really is. 

so how does this even happen? seems weird to not notice this issue while "testing"

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

so how does this even happen? seems weird to not notice this issue while "testing"

Nvidia released the drivers to AIBs at the last minute. No time to do changes. It was a rushed released. It is clear that Nvidia really wanted to capitalize every single day before AMD releases their GPU. Which, to me, is still shocking on why they are panicking that way.