Case making modding using aluminium extrusions?

Newblesse Obblige

Using aluminium extrusions are inspired by those DIY aluminium test benches and the Geek (Specifically, the A30) SFF case. I want to make a SFF case using those aluminium extrusions. I have a design in my mind but I don’t know how can I do it or what are the tools/parts I should have. 

What I also want to do is to mod(like adding some more extrusions) the test bench that also use an aluminium extrusion. 

Any tips?

1 hour ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Using aluminium extrusions are inspired by those DIY aluminium test benches and the Geek (Specifically, the A30) SFF case. I want to make a SFF case using those aluminium extrusions. I have a design in my mind but I don’t know how can I do it or what are the tools/parts I should have. 

What I also want to do is to mod(like adding some more extrusions) the test bench that also use an aluminium extrusion. 

Any tips?

For aluminum extrusions they are very modular and easy to work with due to the vast number of brackets and adjustability. In terms of tools the basics would be a miter box with a metal hand saw, some files for deburring and the needed mounting hardware to attach extrusions together. If you want to get a bit more complex having a drill and tap for cutting threads in the ends or portions of the extrusions can sometimes be helpful. 

Pretty easy working with that type of material, you're going to want a good file to clean all the burrs from cutting stuff. And depending on how fancy you want to go you can sand and polish aluminum to look like chrome. Also make sure you do all cutting and sanding away from any computer parts because the last thing you want is to boot your new system and it shorts from some small burr that got in there while you were building it.

Best tool for working with extrusions is a miter saw. Nice perpendicular cuts with a better surface finish than you can ever get with a handsaw. Files and sandpaper to tidy up the corners.