Looking to help a friend with building a work/recreation PC

Gene Sargent

Budget (including currency): 1300 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Excel, word, would like it to be a jack-of-all-trades pc

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Already has: Monitor, keyboard, mouse. Wants: 2tb storage, 32gb memory.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

13 minutes ago, Gene Sargent said:

Excel, word, would like it to be a jack-of-all-trades pc

Please be specific, this doesn't help us at all really. Knowing what software, what games (if you're gaming) what operating system(s), etc

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

31 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Please be specific, this doesn't help us at all really. Knowing what software, what games (if you're gaming) what operating system(s), etc

For OS Win 10, but other than that she doesn't have specific games in mind, she just wants it to be able to perform decently all around with games from 2010 to current. For programs, I already mentioned the ones she uses for work. She's not a video or audio content creator, but she just wants to have a PC that can be useful for a few years

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Gene Sargent said:

Just curious, why micro atx for the motherboard?

It's a good and cheap motherboard

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

It's a good and cheap motherboard

If he's using mATX, which is completely adequate for his needs, I think it's better to have an mATX case as well so taht the system doesn't suffer from motherboard dwarfism.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Just now, Fatih19 said:

If he's using mATX, which is completely adequate for his needs, I think it's better to have an mATX case as well so taht the system doesn't suffer from motherboard dwarfism.

The difference between atx and matx isn't that big. A matx board doesn't look weird in an atx case. Unfortunately most matx cases have poor airflow, that's why I selected a atx case with good airflow.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

The difference between atx and matx isn't that big. A matx board doesn't look weird in an atx case. Unfortunately most matx cases have poor airflow, that's why I selected a atx case with good airflow.

There are mATX case with good airflow though. CoolerMaster NR400 and Thermaltake Versa H18, to name a few.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |