Photoshop Performance Choppy / Lagging / Flickering

M A J O R

Been having some trouble with Photoshop's lagging, flickering and so on. When I make multiple separate marks in quick succession the tool pallets flicker. Another example is when dragging a window/dialogue box around the screen it feels similar to when a CPU is almost maxed out. The movement is lagging behind input and stutters. I'm running on a 144hz monitor too so seeing Photoshop moving at what feels like 10fps is really jarring.

I've been watching my utilizations in task manager and everything never really goes over 35%. I'm not working on anthing particularly demanding in Photoshop either, I'm just doing anatomy study which is just two black & white layers 4000 x 4000px  at 300px/in.

Performance settings in Photoshop: 80% allocated /32GB RAM, 30 history states, 4 cache levels, cache tile size: 1024k, use GPU enabled.

Version: 21.2.3 (have been having the same issues in previous versions)

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

This may be useless.  My info so fantastically fantastically out of date it may just not matter.  It’s likely a totally different program now and this may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing.  It seems familiar though.

I haven’t been a photoshop jockey in a really long time.  4.0 was new when I dropped out.  The way it used to be though is the size of the image mattered a lot for how much memory the thing needed, and every time you added a layer the file got bigger, so even if you started with a lot of memory and a little picture, if you weren’t careful the file could get too big to manage.  that drove memory to swap, and this made not the whole thing break down but parts got slow.  Just a tiny bit of swap was actually worse than a lot of swap.  If you had a lot of swap running, the thing was just glacially slow, but if you had only a tiny bit you got errors like what you are describing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.