Don't worry Linus, I am sure nvidia's CEO won't be mad at you...

lambrosgg

... Since you made that nice 8k video for him, a day before the review embargo lifted. To be clear: the timing of the video is the issue and not the video itself.

As I am sure you already know, being "first" on the internet is what matters. The marketing people who offered you that sponsorship know it as well: The "first" coverage of the new thing that everyone is talking about, is what gets the most attention. By accepting that early-and-controlled "coverage" you are screwing both your viewers, by creating false hype and your colleagues, who weren't offered (or declined?) the deal and now have to be "second in line" when the embargo lifts, and fight for the remaining views in the review chaos.

You, and all the other media outlets, should at some point learn to say "no" to these kind of offers: Say NO to "review guides" asking you to test CPUs at 4k (1st gen ryzen launch) Say NO to early "unboxing" embargoes creating hype for free, say NO to early controlled "first looks" (digital foundry-3080), and ABSOLUTELY say NO to basically posting an ad with BS marketing claims a day before the review embargo. Its no secret that youtubers and media outlets talk to each other behind the scenes, is it so hard to make an agreement to collectively say NO to these kind of offers? If you all decline them for long enough, they will eventually stop asking. If they go to the smaller channels, you have the viewership and power to "cancel" them by exposing what they do and call your viewers to "stick with your channel instead, for coverage with integrity and not ads"

If that "8k video" was released the day AFTER the review, it wouldn't be a problem. Your colleagues would have a fair chance on those "first" views on youtube and your viewers would already have watched the review and see through the BS. But of course nvidia wouldn't have paid for THAT...

If you believe that being critical on your 3090 review and having such a spicy title somehow makes it right about what you did the day before, you are wrong. Yesterday, you were just an a-hole, who took money over integrity and respect from viewers and colleagues. Today, you just did your job as a media outlet with an honest review. And you got paid for that honest job with sponsorships, adsense, merch etc, its not like you did us a favor or something. At this point I want to thank you for at least disclosing the sponsorship, unlike MKBHD who made pretty much the exact same video at the exact same time, but somehow wasn't sponsored... Sure buddy.

But obviously I am the minority, since people liked the 8k videos and also like all the "hype-unbox, first look, hands on but NOT turning on the buggy OS Surface phone" type of videos.

I take my part of the blame as a viewer for slowly turning the tech media coverage into a telemarketing show for the companies. I admit I have been hyped before from unboxing videos, but Steve from GN showed me how I was actually baited and I was shocked I didn't even realize it on my own at the time. Now I know better... You should also take your part of the blame, and decide if you are going to protect us from the BS, or keep going where the industry (unfortunately) goes... Cheers.

i would say ok, but i think saying 8k is better

you're probably the kind of person to take "200% perf of 2080" and believe it, then get dissapointed.

dont hype, so you wont be disapointed, easy

anyways, you can always unsubscribe, no one is forcing you to watch it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

This entire post is littered with contradiction and hypocrisy. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Oh noo he took an opportunity to give his viewers at least some information ASAP because everybody has been very impatiently waiting how terrible can we please ban Linus

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

wym we already knew its only going to be 10% faster than leaked reviews

It's gonna be slower than AMD 6000 series though!

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

So wait a second, drumming up hype for the card and not releasing meaningful performance numbers a day early is "cutting in line" and "should be shamed" how exactly? If anything people hyping up marking crap is going to drive more demand to multiple youtubers when the cards launch and actual benchmarks are released so they can see if they are being misled.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

31 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would say ok, but i think saying 8k is better

you're probably the kind of person to take "200% perf of 2080" and believe it, then get dissapointed.

dont hype, so you wont be disapointed, easy

anyways, you can always unsubscribe, no one is forcing you to watch it

I didn't believe it, or got disappointed. I am the kind of person who expects (and preferes) to see those false marketing claims from companies marketing material (like the launch announcement from nvidia) rather than tech media outlet who are supposed to report the truth and not be an advertisement tool of the companies. People learned to not trust ads, so companies have to move away to the next thing people trust now, the youtubers. Just because it became the "norm" right now, it doesn't make it right.

30 minutes ago, nick name said:

This entire post is littered with contradiction and hypocrisy. 

If you say so I believe it. Unless your reply was sponsored, in that case I would prefer if you disclosed that sponsorship.

30 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Oh noo he took an opportunity to give his viewers at least some information ASAP because everybody has been very impatiently waiting how terrible can we please ban Linus

Some FALSE information. About how GOOD (not terrible) it is on 8k. The 3090 is far from being 8K gaming capable on most new titles (not cherry picked by nvidia). Unless gaming at 30fps is now considered ok by pc gamers...

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So wait a second, drumming up hype for the card and not releasing meaningful performance numbers a day early is "cutting in line" and "should be shamed" how exactly? If anything people hyping up marking crap is going to drive more demand to multiple youtubers when the cards launch and actual benchmarks are released so they can see if they are being misled.

I explained how already, if you read my post you wouldn't ask. The "first" coverage is the one who gets the most attention and views, when everyone is searching online for news or if the reviews are out a day before the release like they did with the 3080. Every news site reported the digital foundries coverage of the 3080. Was it the best or the most honest? No, but it was THE FIRST.

I also said that the blame is shared between viewers who "eat" and ask to be served BS and youtubers who choose to serve us marketing BS instead of facts (as they are supposed to). No one is looking what nvidia has to say, because everyone expects them  to lie by now. Linus however is "independent" paid by the viewers and will tell us the truth (supposedly) but no. Thats where the problem is.

Time for a deep dive into this post and your bias against sponsors! First off, you have a total of 25 posts over 5 years. Of those posts, 17 are in topics you made about how bad sponsors are and how dare LMG be sponsored. That’s right, 8 posts not related to how bad youtubers are for being sponsored. Of those 8, 3 were entering giveaways for products provided by sponsors or likely paid for with money from sponsored videos. So sponsors good then, right? Why else would anyone try to get a product that is related to them.

Also, the videos like you mentioned where the company who makes the shown product sponsors the video are showcases, not reviews. They have points that LMG is required to talk about. For the majority of videos, the sponsor has nothing to do with the actual content and the video consists purely of what their experience/knowledge is.
Like it or not, LMG (and every other successful YouTuber) needs sponsors to be able to continue to grow and provide amazing content FOR FREE.  I have no idea what triggered you to make this post, but if sponsors are so horrible, stop watching YouTube and don’t try to win things from them.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

9 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Time for a deep dive into this post and your bias against sponsors! First off, you have a total of 25 posts over 5 years. Of those posts, 17 are in topics you made about how bad sponsors are and how dare LMG be sponsored. That’s right, 8 posts not related to how bad youtubers are for being sponsored. Of those 8, 3 were entering giveaways for products provided by sponsors or likely paid for with money from sponsored videos. So sponsors good then, right? Why else would anyone try to get a product that is related to them.

Also, the videos like you mentioned where the company who makes the shown product sponsors the video are showcases, not reviews. They have points that LMG is required to talk about. For the majority of videos, the sponsor has nothing to do with the actual content and the video consists purely of what their experience/knowledge is.
Like it or not, LMG (and every other successful YouTuber) needs sponsors to be able to continue to grow and provide amazing content FOR FREE.  I have no idea what triggered you to make this post, but if sponsors are so horrible, stop watching YouTube and don’t try to win things from them.

There is a difference between sponsoring ANYTHING (I even enjoyed that vacuum sponsorship) and sponsoring the product that you are reviewing the NEXT DAY and is under embargo for everyone else. If you read the second sentence of my post: "To be clear: the timing of the video is the issue and not the video itself" you would see that my objection was with when the video was posted and not with the video itself. I later say, that it would be fine releasing the same video the next day of the review.

But I guess your time was better spend gossiping on my other posts, to show how I am a hypocrite and "butthurt" from sponsored content on LMG... smh

14 minutes ago, lambrosgg said:

explained how already, if you read my post you wouldn't ask. The "first" coverage is the one who gets the most attention and views, when everyone is searching online for news or if the reviews are out a day before the release like they did with the 3080. Every news site reported the digital foundries coverage of the 3080. Was it the best or the most honest? No, but it was THE FIRST.

I also said that the blame is shared between viewers who "eat" and ask to be served BS and youtubers who choose to serve us marketing BS instead of facts (as they are supposed to). No one is looking what nvidia has to say, because everyone expects them  to lie by now. Linus however is "independent" paid by the viewers and will tell us the truth (supposedly) but no. Thats where the problem is.

Then don't watch the LTT videos, there have been threads before on this, people on the forum complaining about it isn't going to stop LTT from using annoying and misleading clickbait, or get them to be more obvious about their sponsored videos.

I don't care if their videos are sponsored, I don't watch their content, I'd really like to see them have more honest video titles and be more clear what videos are just sponsorships as opposed to disguising them as reviews, but they're going to do whatever gives them more views.

There are plenty of other tech youtubers that don't clickbait nearly as badly and are completely honest about their reviews even though they get in a review sample.

1 hour ago, lambrosgg said:

You should also take your part of the blame, and decide if you are going to protect us from the BS, or keep going where the industry (unfortunately) goes... Cheers.

Like it or not, Linus is going to make videos relating to a hot topic. That's how he survives in the youtube space. that's how most survive (see drama youtubers). No one is forcing you to watch him. and he didn't feed into any bs imo. On the wan show, they told people to not necessarily believe and hype up the marketing and stuff for ampere. Nvidia sponsored a preview. they never sponsored the review. even in the review he said he had mixed feelings. Again, no one is forcing you to do anything. There's been a lot of attempts around here of people trying to ruffle feathers. it doesn't work. if you have a valid arguement about lmg's editorial content and corruption for lack of a better word, I'd love to hear it. if you don't most of us have better things to look at, respond to and tolerate

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Then don't watch the LTT videos, there have been threads before on this, people on the forum complaining about it isn't going to stop LTT from using annoying and misleading clickbait, or be more obvious about their sponsored videos.

I don't care if their videos are sponsored, I don't watch their content, I'd really like to see them have more honest video titles and be more clear what videos are just sponsorships as opposed to disguising them as reviews, but they're going to do whatever gives them more views.

There are plenty of other tech youtubers that don't clickbait nearly as badly and are completely honest about their reviews even though they get in a review sample.

3 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Like it or not, Linus is going to make videos relating to a hot topic. That's how he survives in the youtube space. that's how most survive (see drama youtubers). No one is forcing you to watch him. and he didn't feed into any bs imo. On the wan show, they told people to not necessarily believe and hype up the marketing and stuff for ampere. Nvidia sponsored a preview. they never sponsored the review. even in the review he said he had mixed feelings. Again, no one is forcing you to do anything. There's been a lot of attempts around here of people trying to ruffle feathers. it doesn't work. if you have a valid arguement about lmg's editorial content and corruption for lack of a better word, I'd love to hear it. if you don't most of us have better things to look at, respond to and tolerate

I am sorry but I don't agree with the whole "defeatist" culture of "if you don't like it, don't watch it". When I don't like something, or more accurately when I believe something is morally and ethically wrong and insults my intelligence, I try to change it, I don't ignore it. I know that Linus won't see this and even if he does he is not going to change, but at least I tried. If more of us tried instead of giving up and made some noise, maybe they would be forced to change, but one voice isn't enough...

It's funny because on my subscription feed, the MKBHD video on the 3090 at 8K dropped before the LTT one did. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, lambrosgg said:

I am sorry but I don't agree with the whole "defeatist" culture of "if you don't like it, don't watch it". When I don't like something, or more accurately when I believe something is morally and ethically wrong and insults my intelligence, I try to change it, I don't ignore it. I know that Linus won't see this and even if he does he is not going to change, but at least I tried. If more of us tried instead of giving up and made some noise, maybe they would be forced to change, but one voice isn't enough...

Its scripted. Likely not by Linus.

Perhaps barking up the wrong tree?

It just seems like we need to blame Linus, but really... hes not the one to blame. 

Just now, lambrosgg said:

stop with this pity party. the majority of people on here think LMG's current sponsor program type thing is adequate. You aren't being heroic in any way, don't flatter yourself. you're insulting my intelligence, and I'm trying to change it. so stop

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

12 minutes ago, lambrosgg said:

Some FALSE information. About how GOOD (not terrible) it is on 8k. The 3090 is far from being 8K gaming capable on most new titles (not cherry picked by nvidia). Unless gaming at 30fps is now considered ok by pc gamers...

So watching it rn. 

For DOOM Eternal, he's specifically noted that it's game settings recommended by Nvidia. Running Nightmare at 8K 60fps (a single drop to 57fps). 

For Forza Horizion 4, he very obviously looks at the sheet Nvidia gave him. Running High preset, didn't mention fps but it looked stable (and FH4 is playable at lower framerates than first person shooters so if it did drop below 60 that would not be much of an issue). 

Control, very clearly reading off the Nvidia sheet again. Specifically mentions it's running DLSS which renders the image at 1440p and upsamples to 8K. Solid 60fps. 

Death Stranding, again clearly reading off the sheet next to him on the couch. High/Very High with Ultra Performance DLSS on. Didn't mention fps. Looked solid but videos are at 30fps so eh. 

Where is the false information? Where does he claim that the 3090 will run full fat 8K, rendering at native res, in all titles? Nobody with a brain will walk away from this video thinking that. It is very clearly communicated that all these games and settings were recommended by Nvidia, and it is also very clearly indicated when they are using DLSS, and he specifically mentions that DLSS is rendering frames at a lower resolution then upsampling. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

It just seems like we need to blame Linus, but really... hes not the one to blame.

The review was written by a mr. Anthony Young. He is honestly one of their best employees.

@GabenJr if you want to respond to these shilling allegations, please do

Just now, piratemonkey said:

The review was written by a mr. Anthony Young. He is honestly one of their best employees.

@GabenJr if you want to respond to these shilling allegations, please do

Oh thank you for that!

And most of the content is very well written and thought out. Even fun and amusing where appropriate. 

Dear Linus,

Don't make any money on videos ever unless I'm okay with it.

Love,

The Internet

P.S. - WHEN IS ROG RIG REBOOT 2021?!?@?@??@?!!@

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

He could just say no, so he is the one to blame.

1 minute ago, piratemonkey said:

stop with this pity party. the majority of people on here think LMG's current sponsor program type thing is adequate. You aren't being heroic in any way, don't flatter yourself. you're insulting my intelligence, and I'm trying to change it. so stop

And I am not objecting your opinion. I already admitted that I am the minority here, since the like/dislike ratio of that video is excellent. Obviously the majority of the LTT viewers are OK with it, but I am not. And I explain why I believe that this  kind of sponsorship (of the product u are reviewing the next day) is hurting everyone (viewers and all youtubers/media) and its not really worth it for any amount of money to lose even some of your integrity. They could have done any other sponsored video, instead, but they CHOSE to make that one...

12 minutes ago, lambrosgg said:

Well there's a fundamental problem with people's perceptions of what's ethically and morally wrong. And that's the fact that in many circumstances, there is no centrally agreed upon standard. That's why I don't even participate in or comment on stuff like social movements anymore. Ones' morals right now can differ from their morals in the next 5 minutes. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, lambrosgg said:

He could just say no, so he is the one to blame.

Depends on what it says in the contract he signed. He may not actually have the ability.

If you think "first" is making you the first search result you're wrong. Right now, if I google RTX 3090, I get the following results:

image.png.664f979aa0a142031c5e035dcfebd7d1.png

Followed by tons of Amazon/Newegg/etc links

Just FYI, Jayztwocents was first (in MY feed) to post an RTX3090 review today and he's not "first" in the search results.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

So watching it rn. 

Gaming testing is traditionally made on the highest settings.  I am sure a 1080ti can do 8k on low settings on many old games, should we also call a 1080ti "8k capable"? 

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well there's a fundamental problem with people's perceptions of what's ethically and morally wrong. And that's the fact that in many circumstances, there is no centrally agreed upon standard. That's why I don't even participate in or comment on stuff like social movements anymore. Ones' morals right now can differ from their morals in the next 5 minutes. 

I 100% agree. Proof of that is the like/dislike ratio of that 8K video. Did better than many of the normal non sponsored content from LTT.