The subtitles on the videos are really inaccurate.

DrMadFellow
Go to solution Solved by JonoT,
On 9/26/2020 at 5:29 PM, DrMadFellow said:

Thanks for replying! Right now I am restricted to using my phone so it’s hard for me to compile a list of examples, but a great direct example is scrapyard wars 5. The parts they talk about in that video are often replaced with words that just don’t relate to what they are talking about. It’s not impossible to fill in the blanks myself but it’s still not ideal. It was pointed out to me that their are videos which have a proper caption applied to them (the cc logo) and I’ve not encountered any issues with those.

Hi @DrMadFellow

Ah ok, previous videos! Yes no worries, it's something that we're continually trying to take a look at which older videos we'll captioning, but the plan is to get it all done but just a lot of work! 

I am quite hard of hearing, wear hearing aids in my daily and am pretty proficient at lip reading irl. I depend quite heavily on subtitles for context of what I miss in videos. And I LOVE LTT, but the subtitles are hot garbage. Is there some way to improve them? I’m not very versed in YouTube. Maybe LMG could spend a little of their budget on a proper captions service? I’d even be fine if it took a few days after a vid is released. Thanks for “hearing” me out.

Let me tag Linus for you.

@LinusTech

This will let him know you want him to see this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Let me tag Linus for you.

@LinusTech

This will let him know you want him to see this.

Wow, I really appreciate that. Thank you!

The subtitles are auto-generated iirc so they aren't great. Doesn't really answer your post much but I wouldn't say it's 100% LMG's fault.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I’m actually quite impressed at the accuracy then if they are auto generated. I mean they seem to be about 80% right most of the time. But they struggle with brand names and tech code names and the like, which is problematic on a channel that focuses on these things.

16 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The subtitles are auto-generated iirc so they aren't great. Doesn't really answer your post much but I wouldn't say it's 100% LMG's fault.

Well it's at least partially LMG's fault because a company as large as LMG with millions of subscribers on their flagship channel should really be properly captioning their videos by hand, just for accessibility purposes.

Hell, I even do it for my tiny little channel with less than 100 subscribers, if it's a video with significant amounts of speech in it. There is no excuse for LMG not to be doing so.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

The subtitles are indeed auto-generated, unless there is a little "CC" icon underneath the video, in which case custom made captions are added (which are either added by the YouTube channel themselves, or a community member).

image.thumb.png.08bf5878adf8acf5cc33da4b4ba00daf.png

Anyone is free to add closed captions to LTT videos (as far as I know, they haven't turned off that feature, as I have done a CC in the past for one of their videos). 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

The subtitles are indeed auto-generated, unless there is a little "CC" icon underneath the video, in which case custom made captions are added (which are either added by the YouTube channel themselves, or a community member).

image.thumb.png.08bf5878adf8acf5cc33da4b4ba00daf.png

Anyone is free to add closed captions to LTT videos (as far as I know, they haven't turned off that feature, as I have done a CC in the past for one of their videos). 

Oh! I hadn’t noticed the little cc icon under videos. That’s helpful. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, DrMadFellow said:

Oh! I hadn’t noticed the little cc icon under videos. That’s helpful. Thank you.

One thing I don't know for sure is if that CC icon takes into account the language you're using.

Let's say, one of those videos had a for you foreign language added, not English, would it still show that icon.. I am not sure.

Looking at the LTT video catalog, it seems like 'heavily scripted' videos have subtitles added, as that would be somewhat 'simple' to do, as you just have to copy-paste the script, edit the timemarks and maybe add a bit to them. Same for TechQuickie videos.

More improvised style videos do not seem to have them by default.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 9/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, DrMadFellow said:

I am quite hard of hearing, wear hearing aids in my daily and am pretty proficient at lip reading irl. I depend quite heavily on subtitles for context of what I miss in videos. And I LOVE LTT, but the subtitles are hot garbage. Is there some way to improve them? I’m not very versed in YouTube. Maybe LMG could spend a little of their budget on a proper captions service? I’d even be fine if it took a few days after a vid is released. Thanks for “hearing” me out.

Hi @DrMadFellow

I actually take care of getting the videos on the channel(s) subtitled now in English, Spanish, and Portuguese (Brazilian). 

Was there a specific issue on the latest releases or were you inquiring about having more done?

Let me know, thanks!

On 9/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, JonoT said:

Hi @DrMadFellow

I actually take care of getting the videos on the channel(s) subtitled now in English, Spanish, and Portuguese (Brazilian). 

Was there a specific issue on the latest releases or were you inquiring about having more done?

Let me know, thanks!

Thanks for replying! Right now I am restricted to using my phone so it’s hard for me to compile a list of examples, but a great direct example is scrapyard wars 5. The parts they talk about in that video are often replaced with words that just don’t relate to what they are talking about. It’s not impossible to fill in the blanks myself but it’s still not ideal. It was pointed out to me that their are videos which have a proper caption applied to them (the cc logo) and I’ve not encountered any issues with those.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:29 PM, DrMadFellow said:

Hi @DrMadFellow

Ah ok, previous videos! Yes no worries, it's something that we're continually trying to take a look at which older videos we'll captioning, but the plan is to get it all done but just a lot of work! 

• 3 months later...

Sorry for necroing but here's a much more recent example:
(2) A $15,000 Network Switch?? - HOLY $H!T - YouTube

NIC is subtitled as nick. Otherwise the subtitles are generally good, but there always seem to be minor mistakes like that which are somewhat distracting.

I'm not deaf so luckily I don't need to rely on the subtitles to enjoy the video but it could confuse people who are hard of hearing.

@JonoT

I have the same issues as the OP does. But while mine is Moderit to Severe Hearing Loss, I do retain enough Hearing the I can hear quite a few Folks as long they speak Loud and Clear enough, including Music and Videos.

But I also need Subtitles and Close Captions. I find very Ignoring that way too many newer Videos and Movies Online don't even have them.

There more then enough People who have Hearing loss to be worthwhile to include these.