Next-Gen Consoles Cost Comparison

metroidfan220

I've been a bit frustrated by all the confusion in cost comparison in discussions, especially in the recent WAN show discussion where I felt like PS Plus, PS Now, Xbox Live Gold, and Game Pass were all being thrown around interchangeably. So I decided to sit down and chart out the 2 year cost of all the ways you can get a next-gen console this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EZqoQ54itL2wwmZpXoPYRYeka3xSpEXk9V2oTes42Og/edit?usp=sharing

A few notes:

I've sorted the chart by total cost low to high over 2 years.

For online play (Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus) I'm assuming 2 annual subscriptions at the MSRP of $60. (Deals can be had, YMMV)

The 4 games a month coming in via Xbox Live Gold are usually split into 2 from the current gen and 2 from prior generations. PS Plus sometimes has slightly different timing, but generally now averages 2 games added each month. Both of these require you to maintain your subscription to play the games.

XBL gold seems to be being removed from series S/x for required ultiplayer, and i believe PS does not require ps plus or now to play multiplayer.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

So, best "just games, don't care about graphics" value is Series S + Gold and the best overall is Series X + gold. Is what I'm getting from this.

Because both package offer 4 games a month and are either cheaper than the PS5 alternatives or offer more. (Technically, PS5 digital & PS+ is relatively good and cheaper than X+Gold by $100... But you lose out on all the physical games and their resell value)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

And in your list you're dismissing the existence of Xbox Game Pass. Basically leading to the comparison of the Xbox Series S and X all access with the Xbox Series S and X with Gold when clearly they're not the same thing since the All Access includes Xbox Gamepass ultimate which includes Xbox Live Gold as well.

nice. so basically 100$ interest for 2 years.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

44 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

XBL gold seems to be being removed from series S/x for required ultiplayer, and i believe PS does not require ps plus or now to play multiplayer.

I've seen a lot of rumors to this effect, but no official announcement. I'd be happy to change the document if there's been an announcement of either.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

And in your list you're dismissing the existence of Xbox Game Pass. Basically leading to the comparison of the Xbox Series S and X all access with the Xbox Series S and X with Gold when clearly they're not the same thing since the All Access includes Xbox Gamepass ultimate which includes Xbox Live Gold as well.

Ok, so I've added Gamepass Ultimate (Gold+Gamepass together) with the console as an option, but for both All Access ends up being cheaper than that option for all the same stuff. I'll also add vanilla Gamepass with no online play so all options are covered.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

nice. so basically 100$ interest for 2 years.

When you factor in the cost of Gamepass Ultimate (if you're paying regular price) both options actually offer a discount, no interest. $58.76 less for the Series S, and $18.76 for the Series X.

From what i have read Xbox Series S cannot play Xbox One X enhanced mode games.   Worth factoring that in.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

22 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

From what i have read Xbox Series S cannot play Xbox One X enhanced mode games.   Worth factoring that in.

It can still play the games, just in the same way the Xbox One S would play them.

I have a hard time caring about all of this stuff, the top tier Xbox was way more powerful than the top tier Playstation this last generation and what were the best games for me?  God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us II, Horizon Zero Dawn etc etc.  Xbox just doesn't have anything that interests me, i guess i'll enjoy a new Fable game but i'll get get it for my PC when it comes 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

I have a hard time caring about all of this stuff, the top tier Xbox was way more powerful than the top tier Playstation this last generation and what were the best games for me?  God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us II, Horizon Zero Dawn etc etc.  Xbox just doesn't have anything that interests me, i guess i'll enjoy a new Fable game but i'll get get it for my PC when it comes 🤷‍♂️

That’s kind of the great thing about having a choice. For me, I didn’t care much for the Sony exclusives and preferred the some of the few Xbox ones.

Obviously for you PlayStation is a better choice as it gives you more of the games you want.

MS bought Bethesda, does that factor into your decision for a new console?

On 9/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, FrankySam said:

MS bought Bethesda, does that factor into your decision for a new console?

Not after the dumpster fire that fallout 76 turned out to be. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

27 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Not after the dumpster fire that fallout 76 turned out to be. 

ehh.... financing a series s and getting doom. might be good.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 9/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, metroidfan220 said:

I've been a bit frustrated by all the confusion in cost comparison in discussions, especially in the recent WAN show discussion where I felt like PS Plus, PS Now, Xbox Live Gold, and Game Pass were all being thrown around interchangeably. So I decided to sit down and chart out the 2 year cost of all the ways you can get a next-gen console this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EZqoQ54itL2wwmZpXoPYRYeka3xSpEXk9V2oTes42Og/edit?usp=sharing

A few notes:

I've sorted the chart by total cost low to high over 2 years.

For online play (Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus) I'm assuming 2 annual subscriptions at the MSRP of $60. (Deals can be had, YMMV)

The 4 games a month coming in via Xbox Live Gold are usually split into 2 from the current gen and 2 from prior generations. PS Plus sometimes has slightly different timing, but generally now averages 2 games added each month. Both of these require you to maintain your subscription to play the games.

You can take the financing option of the Series X where you get a massive discount on the console?

Also performance wise the PS5 looks like it's gonna throttle hard. They have one blower style fan at the bottom of the console meaning that only half of the vents will realistically work, it "ran cool" in a bunch of not very demanding games, the demanding games at the reveal were ran on a PC and the console has boost clocks... This thing will be like the PS4 all over again. I suppose if flight sim isn't available for your console then having it sound like a jet engine is the next best thing right?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?