Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC reset (compete wipe) has been stuck on 20% for the past 3 hours

Hi all, my I decided to restart on a clean slate today because my pc was acting up. I selected the total wipe and have been waiting for roughly 2 hours now. It was going smoothly up until 20% then it just stopped. It’s been there for and entire hour and I don’t know what to think of it. I’ve never done it before and I’m worried it may have crashed. Any help is appreciated

For context, I built a 2nd pc for a second house (parents divorced) and wanted to sync data. Data sync got fucked up and decided to reset and clear the HDD (Seagate 2tb 7200rpm 256mb cashe)

image.jpg

25 minutes ago, Alex Biebel said:

Hi all, my I decided to restart on a clean slate today because my pc was acting up. I selected the total wipe and have been waiting for roughly 2 hours now. It was going smoothly up until 20% then it just stopped. It’s been there for and entire hour and I don’t know what to think of it. I’ve never done it before and I’m worried it may have crashed. Any help is appreciated

For context, I built a 2nd pc for a second house (parents divorced) and wanted to sync data. Data sync got fucked up and decided to reset and clear the HDD (Seagate 2tb 7200rpm 256mb cashe)

I would not recommend using the Reset This PC feature. If your system is that "messed up" to require a fresh start, I don't trust the local image that process is using for a reinstall is not corrupted in some way. Now I'm not sure if Windows does what macOS does and downloads a fresh copy of the OS over. So I would take the safer route and create a new Windows install USB, format the drive, then do a fresh install that way. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 3.50 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.7) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)