Windows registers 8gb out of 12 installed. BSOD during stress test.

Cuirl

Hi there!

I'll make this super short: 

I own a P6T Deluxe with a i7-920. The PSU is a RM650x. Ram is the Kingston Blu (KHX1600C9D3B1/4G). All the ram works individually. A2 slot in the motherboard doesn't register, but it clearly reads them as CPU-Z identifies it. The BIOS is the latest version, I've cleaned the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol. Including using a toothbrush gently across the DIMM slots. Trying to remove any potential dirt/dust that have been build up. 

So anyways, I was down with just using A1 and A3 DIMM slots. Admitting defeat making the A2 slot work again. However, it'll random BSOD when doing so. Using all 3 sticks in all the slots, same issue. Well, let me clarify, it runs perfectly fine, smooth and it'll happily run Cinebench or Heaven as long as I want. However, doing a stress test in Prime with the blend settings is where it goes wrong. Clearly because it's attempting to draw data from the A2 DIMM slot. But even removing it, it still does it. Just one stick in A1 it runs fine.

I have not yet tried setting the timings and voltage on the ram manually. Could that be a potential issue? Is the DIMM slot just straight up dead? Anything to be done?

As always, thanks if anybody has some input and a great rest of the day to you all. 

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Sounds like a bunk memory controller. 

Should be fixable if I find a bent pin on LGA, no? 

5 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

Is this a build you've had for years or only recently purchase second hand?

Oh it's old. Except for the PSU and the RAM, everything is from when it was released. So aprox 12 years old at this point. 

I literally got it for free too (again, except for the RAM and PSU), so it really isn't a big loss to me, at all. I do however aim to make it work, aiming to give it to my sister who wants to start gaming. The CPU is running smoothly at 3.8GHz and the GPU is a HD7870. So it should do a decent job for entry level gaming. 

I mean if it is physical damage... maybe. There is a chance it something else going on at a chip level that won't be fixed by straightening a pin.

9 minutes ago, Cuirl said:

Oh it's old. Except for the PSU and the RAM, everything is from when it was released. So aprox 12 years old at this point. 

I literally got it for free too (again, except for the RAM and PSU), so it really isn't a big loss to me, at all. I do however aim to make it work, aiming to give it to my sister who wants to start gaming. The CPU is running smoothly at 3.9GHz and the GPU is a HD7870. So it should do a decent job for entry level gaming. 

My point is is this hardware you've only acquired recently? How do you know if it even worked properly before you got it? Doesn't really matter. The RAM sticks should be in A2, A4 and A6. If you have them in a weird configuration it won't register in Windows. Do you know what voltage that RAM is? Should be below 1.65v or problems can arise.

Edit: Got the DIMM slot ID's wrong. You want to use A2, A4 and A6. Basically just the orange slots.

11 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

I mean if it is physical damage... maybe. There is a chance it something else going on at a chip level that won't be fixed by straightening a pin.

Gotta admit. I did not even think of looking if there was any bent pins on the LGA. I got the mobo witht he CPU inserted, so for sure gotta take a look. Not sure why I didn't think of checking. 

10 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

My point is is this hardware you've only acquired recently? How do you know if it even worked properly before you got it? Doesn't really matter. The RAM sticks should be in A2, A4 and A6. If you have them in a weird configuration it won't register in Windows. Do you know what voltage that RAM is? Should be below 1.65v or problems can arise.

Edit: Got the DIMM slot ID's wrong. You want to use A2, A4 and A6

Well, I just said A1, A2 and A3 I guess because I'm too used to it being in the row "A1, B1, A2, B2" or whatever it's like. So yes, they're in the proper slots. 

I guess I don't have any knowledge that it worked as intended before, I got it off a old friend of mine who just had it laying around in his garage. So damage is for sure a potential. However, I am not able to spot any corrosion, even with a magnifying glass, it's been cleaned, gotten new thermal pads, you name it. 

And no, I have not been derping around with voltage or timings on the RAM yet, as I wanted to make it work before trying to tweak it. 

But rest assured, the ram is inserted in the correct DIMM slots. 

I'd like to point out, computers are only a hobby for me. So I probably have HUGE gaps in my knowledge. So I appreciate all the help and input, thank you :)

1 minute ago, Cuirl said:

Well, I just said A1, A2 and A3 I guess because I'm too used to it being in the row "A1, B1, A2, B2". So yes, they're in the proper slots. 

I guess I don't have any knowledge that it worked as intended before, I got it off a old friend of mine who just had it laying around in his garage. So damage is for sure a potential. However, I am not able to spot any corrosion, even with a magnifying glass, it's been cleaned, gotten new thermal pads, you name it. 

And no, I have not been derping around with voltage or timings on the RAM yet, as I wanted to make it work before trying to tweak it. 

But rest assured, the ram is inserted in the correct DIMM slots. 

I haven't dealt with that platform since 2010, I can hardly remember much. I just Googled the RAM and it's 1.7v stock. Could be your problem, might be worth investigating. Other than that the motherboard could certainly be damaged.

Just now, WolfDeville said:

I haven't dealt with that platform since 2010, I can hardly remember much. I just Googled the RAM and it's 1.7v stock. Could be your problem, might be worth investigating. Other than that the motherboard could certainly be damaged.

Aight, I will for sure try that out. Thanks a ton for the input, I really truly appreciate it! I will likely edit this post in like 10-15 minutes time with a update, should you be interested. 

Just now, Cuirl said:

Aight, I will for sure try that out. Thanks a ton for the input, I really truly appreciate it! I will likely edit this post in like 10-15 minutes time with a update, should you be interested. 

No problem. I'm pretty interested in seeing how it goes. Good luck!

Yeah, I can't remember off the top if the memory controller on that platform was in the CPU or on a chipset. It could be something wrong with the silicon of either if no physical damage is seen and everything is installed as it should be.

19 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Yeah, I can't remember off the top if the memory controller on that platform was in the CPU or on a chipset. It could be something wrong with the silicon of either if no physical damage is seen and everything is installed as it should be.

The memory controller is on the chip, at least this is what google tells me. 

20 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

No problem. I'm pretty interested in seeing how it goes. Good luck!

Well, setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.7 it just straight up refuses to even boot. It does report the CPU officially supports a max of 1.65voltage, so its at 1.64 voltage right now. Running the Prime95 on blend settings and, by some miracle, it hasn't crashed yet. Gonna let it run for a few hours. Also always nice to see the CPU overclock is still stable. It used to hit a maximum tempurature of 77 degrees celcius with a Evo 212. Let's see if the increased DRAM Voltage does anything here. It did hit 75 degrees celcius rather fast this time around. But the good news is no insta crash on Prime95 blend stress test.

I have absolutely no idea if this did anything, but I did also set all the voltages to their standard. PLL Voltage, IOH,  ICH etc. Instead of just running on auto. 

The memory controller is on the chip, at least this is what google tells me. 

Well, setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.7 it just straight up refuses to even boot. It does report the CPU officially supports a max of 1.65voltage, so its at 1.64 voltage right now. Running the Prime95 on blend settings and, by some miracle, it hasn't crashed yet. Gonna let it run for a few hours. Also always nice to see the CPU overclock is still stable. It used to hit a maximum tempurature of 77 degrees celcius with a Evo 212. Let's see if the increased DRAM Voltage does anything here. It did hit 75 degrees celcius rather fast this time around. But the good news is no insta crash on Prime95 blend stress test.

I have absolutely no idea if this did anything, but I did also set all the voltages to their standard. PLL Voltage, IOH,  ICH etc. Instead of just running on auto. 

Is it detecting all 12GB now?

Is it detecting all 12GB now?

It is not, no. But I've semi given up on that anyways. Just making it work with 8gb will suffice. I will later, when I have more time on my hands for taking it apart (I have no test bench, sadly) try and check for a bent pin on the LGA. Give the DIMM slots another go with some isopropyl and let it dry out over night. 

I am actually sad to report though, however, while I thought it was stable because it didn't insta crash, I just got a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. So for now I guess I have to concede defeat until I have some more time on my hands to check for a damaged memory controller. I heard before, that even though it's not officially supported, the mobo can use 8gb sticks. Might just pick up a single one of those to have run in A1/2. 

But yeah, I have lost this battle for now. But I am NOT gonna lose the war! ... unless it actually is physhically damaged beyond repair :(

It is not, no. But I've semi given up on that anyways. Just making it work with 8gb will suffice. I will later, when I have more time on my hands for taking it apart (I have no test bench, sadly) try and check for a bent pin on the LGA. Give the DIMM slots another go with some isopropyl and let it dry out over night. 

I am actually sad to report though, however, while I thought it was stable because it didn't insta crash, I just got a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. So for now I guess I have to concede defeat until I have some more time on my hands to check for a damaged memory controller. I heard before, that even though it's not officially supported, the mobo can use 8gb sticks. Might just pick up a single one of those to have run in A1/2. 

But yeah, I have lost this battle for now. But I am NOT gonna lose the war! ... unless it actually is physhically damaged beyond repair :(

Sucks man :/ Hope you get it all sorted eventually. Best of luck :)

Sucks man :/ Hope you get it all sorted eventually. Best of luck:)

Yeah me too. And thank you alot for the help, may all your DIMM and memory controller work flawlessly in the future! 

I might update this post later on, if you are interested. Can always tick the "follow" on the post should you be interested in updates, which will come. Though might not till tomorrow. 

Well, after 12 years and god knows how long in your friends garage, I'd say you are doing pretty good with the thing actually POSTing ;) Good luck!

3 hours ago, Cuirl said:

Yeah me too. And thank you alot for the help, may all your DIMM and memory controller work flawlessly in the future! 

I might update this post later on, if you are interested. Can always tick the "follow" on the post should you be interested in updates, which will come. Though might not till tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Well, after 12 years and god knows how long in your friends garage, I'd say you are doing pretty good with the thing actually POSTing ;) Good luck!

Aaaaaannnddd... I feel stupid! There were 2 MEGA bent pins in the LGA. Toothpick went to work. 12GB registered, been running Prime95 for 30 minutes now. 

Like, really stupid. Derp. If I knew who you guys were I'd buy you a beer as a sorry for wasting your time :D

8 hours ago, Cuirl said:

Aaaaaannnddd... I feel stupid! There were 2 MEGA bent pins in the LGA. Toothpick went to work. 12GB registered, been running Prime95 for 30 minutes now. 

Like, really stupid. Derp. If I knew who you guys were I'd buy you a beer as a sorry for wasting your time :D

Glad you got it working. No time wasted here mate, happy to help where I can.