Magicmuhaha

MSI GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro

Intel i7-6700HQ
GTX 1070  8Gb

32 GB RAM
256GB Kingston M.2 SSD
1TB HTSG HDD

BIOS Version E1785IMS.199

I've been working on a friend's laptop to deal with some of the issues it had. While fixing everything, I also updated the bios and reinstalled Windows. During the windows installation I noticed that the second hard drive wasn't on the list of drives I could install to but I didn't think anything of it. After startup, the hard drive was still not showing up, so I figured it was a bios setting and checked that. Still nothing, the BIOS only shows the main SSD and the Disc drive. 
Things I've tried:
Reconnecting the HDD
Connecting the HDD with a external Sata to USB adapter (HDD works on another computer AND the laptop)
Connect a different Hard drive using the laptop's cable (All I had was an old Intel SSD and the laptop picks it up no problem)

Changing the 'Sata Mode Selection' from RAID to AHCI, Windows wouldn't boot. 
Changing from UEFI to Legacy, Windows wouldn't boot
Changing it to UEFI + COM, Windows won't boot

I'm pretty sure i have all the required drivers installed. I just don't understand why it would detect another drive and not it's own.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

119723501_345110039942179_8471870260453702825_n.jpg

119984953_2785475115074497_7601692349916115602_n.jpg

120089421_3282228031854764_7812717549623873137_n.jpg

Best to file under “any suggestions”:

Perhaps if you can make the sometimes undetectable drive detectable on another computer, it might be useful to compare the differences between the occasionally undetectable drive’s setup and the drive that is detectable

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Best to file under “any suggestions”:

Perhaps if you can make the sometimes undetectable drive detectable on another computer, it might be useful to compare the differences between the occasionally undetectable drive’s setup and the drive that is detectable

So it's not detectable ever with the Sata ribbon clip adapter in the laptop. But it is detectable with the SATA to USB adapter using a USB port on the laptop. On the flip side, the Sata ribbon clip works if I use a different drive, in this case, I used an old intel SSD. So both hardware pieces work. They just don't appear to work together.

2 minutes ago, Magicmuhaha said:

On the flip side, the Sata ribbon clip works if I use a different drive, in this case, I used an old intel SSD. So both hardware pieces work. They just don't appear to work together.

Have you tried swapping drives around?

1 minute ago, TotallyNotGigabit said:

Have you tried swapping drives around?

I assume you mean with the first drive. Which I should clarify is an M.2 so I can't