Blue Screen of Death while Gaming :(

VHS_Tape
Go to solution Solved by VHS_Tape,

Eyyyyyy I finally found the issue. Its been a week and I have not seen a Blue Screen yet. Turns out my brother updated the motherboard bios just before buying the RX 570.

Switching back to the old and stable build fixed the issue. I am soooooo so happy that I can finally play games without being afraid T^T
Thank you everyyyyy one, cuz it was because of you that I noticed I was using an unstable mobo bios!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot 2020-10-10 094955.png

Its not instant, it doesnt even occurs everyday. I usually play Valorant with my friends, there is very less possibility of getting a Blue screen. But it happens everytime when I play Division. It crashes after 10-15 minutes of playing. 

The blue screen did not display any error so I used WhoCrashed to read the log. 

(The image should be present somewhere.)

I scanned my hard drives and ran memtest. They showed me no errors, I reinstalled Windows, and yet the I get blue screen T^T. 

Please if someone can help me. 

(I remembered something now, guess ill just write it here) 

The only time I got Blue Screen while I wasn't gaming was when I was exporting a video in the background while watching Linus'. I was watching the "Can it run Crysis Remastered" video, and there was this one point where he admires the grass of the original Crysis. So I thought it would be better to watch the video on 4K. I cranked up the res and it was playing normal for a while until it suddenly crashed, blue screen I mean. 

Thank you for reading! 

Image failed to upload 😭

I will have to write it down now

On Tue 22-09-2020 18:09:20 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092220-36453-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe

Reinstall display drivers and update bios is there's an update available. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

specs?

RX 570 4GB

i5 3740

8GB RAM

450 Watts PSU

Two HDDs - 1x 1TB 2x 500GB

it looks like it's your gpu. have you been monitoring temperatures? maybe it's overheating. is it overclocked? 

17 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it looks like it's your gpu. have you been monitoring temperatures? maybe it's overheating. is it overclocked? 

I have been thinking about it too. Thats why I installed MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps. I got 71C which is average for the RX 570.

Also, I have not overclocked my GPU. 

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i'd try to DDU drivers and reinstall them

Ok, Ill try and do that. Thanks!

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

I used DDU and reinstalled the drivers as you said. I tried playing Division again and it never crashed! Thank you so much!!! You are a life saver!

23 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Okay scratch that, my PC crashed again 😭

I dont know what to do anymore. It crashed twice while playing Valorant! 

Is it possible that my RAM is faulty even after Memtest says it had no errors? 

7 minutes ago, VHS_Tape said:

Okay scratch that, my PC crashed again 😭

I dont know what to do anymore. It crashed twice while playing Valorant! 

Is it possible that my RAM is faulty even after Memtest says it had no errors? 

you can try to re-seat the ram, and check in bios whether any ram overclock is applied. maybe there is an unstable overclock.

you should also check the hdds for errors

On 9/23/2020 at 7:55 PM, boggy77 said:

you can try to re-seat the ram, and check in bios whether any ram overclock is applied. maybe there is an unstable overclock.

you should also check the hdds for errors

RAM was not overclocked and  my hdds did not had any bad sectors.

Yesterday my PC got BSOD everytime on boot up. I recovered my data going to safe mode and reinstalled Windows. No blue screen on the first day.

I have a habbit of checking if my AMD Software is running in the background, because everytime after installing the AMD Drivers, After few days of installation, It doesn't autoboot on startup, I have to manually open it. And So I checked for it in my system tray, it was there. BUT! After the Blue Screen I got while playing Nier Automata, AMD Software stopped opening on startup. Does this got to do something with the Blue Screens? 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, VHS_Tape said:

RAM was not overclocked and  my hdds did not had any bad sectors.

Yesterday my PC got BSOD everytime on boot up. I recovered my data going to safe mode and reinstalled Windows. No blue screen on the first day.

I have a habbit of checking if my AMD Software is running in the background, because everytime after installing the AMD Drivers, After few days of installation, It doesn't autoboot on startup, I have to manually open it. And So I checked for it in my system tray, it was there. BUT! After the Blue Screen I got while playing Nier Automata, AMD Software stopped opening on startup. Does this got to do something with the Blue Screens? 

its either GPU or MOBO (motherboard).
mobo probably getting bad caps. (encountered same issue as you in the past, it gave me hours of playing the game WHO'S FAULTY!, changed ram, change gpu, used iGPU, change power supply, change avr, change outlet)

try visually checking the MOBO if it have bloated capacitor.
have you tried cleaning both? probably some dust manage to short something.

if your setup have iGPU try doing heavy task like video exporting as you mention while watching something in YT.
if this fails, and have a spare power supply use it, if it still fails its probably your MOBO.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, VHS_Tape said:

Also, I have not overclocked my GPU. 

It's overclocked by manufacturer in 90% cases. Use MSI Afterburner and try to underclock it (as much as possible using interface, it not allow you to underclock a lot anyway).

On 9/29/2020 at 1:30 AM, Shinon214 said:

mobo probably getting bad caps. (encountered same issue as you in the past, it gave me hours of playing the game WHO'S FAULTY!, changed ram, change gpu, used iGPU, change power supply, change avr, change outlet)

if your setup have iGPU try doing heavy task like video exporting as you mention while watching something in YT.
if this fails, and have a spare power supply use it, if it still fails its probably your MOBO.

It would make sense if its my MOBO, because its about 7 or 8 years old. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:30 AM, Shinon214 said:

It would make sense if its my MOBO, because its about 7 or 8 years old. Also, I have cleaned my PC last week.

Also since you addressed it, is it possible that my PSU is having trouble giving out power to my GPU, hence the crashes? 

I am using 8GB RAM (Dual Channel) 

3 HDDs (1TB, 500GB, 500GB) 

RX570

i5 3470

And a 450W Corsair PSU is powering them all. 

Is it possible that 450 is not enough for my hardware? 

OMG I just realized something. 

I have been getting these pop-ups randomly after powering up my PC. 

It says that my Bios has been reset. And then it gives me 3 options. 

1. Use optimized default bios then boot

2. Use optimized default bios then reboot

3. Exit bios

This pop up occurs randomly. My bios gets reset again and again. I use default bios settings but, Is it really my Mobo causing everything?! 

images (1).jpeg

It's likely that you're getting that because the battery on the motherboard is failing and the system can't maintain its settings (that is if said better hasn't been changed since you got the board), so a replacement for that (it's a CR2032 which is widely available) should fix that issue but in all likelihood it isn't going to solve the pre existing issues you're currently having.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, VHS_Tape said:

It would make sense if its my MOBO, because its about 7 or 8 years old. Also, I have cleaned my PC last week.

Also since you addressed it, is it possible that my PSU is having trouble giving out power to my GPU, hence the crashes?

PSU degrading and not able to go to its true rate anymore.
as demonix00 said just replace cmos battery.

you can use this to calculate PSU
https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator or https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

1. use only boot drive HDD unplug other 2 HDD still have issues? else proceed to 2
2. use remove video card and use built-in still have issues? else proceed to 3

3. Replace PSU (450 to 500w at least) and plug-in back both HDD and GPU still have issues? else proceed to 4

4. Remove GPU and use IGPU still have issues? if its working with iGPU and crashes with GPU replace GPU, else proceed to 5 

5. MOBO = Dying and wants to retire, replace mobo.

Eyyyyyy I finally found the issue. Its been a week and I have not seen a Blue Screen yet. Turns out my brother updated the motherboard bios just before buying the RX 570.

Switching back to the old and stable build fixed the issue. I am soooooo so happy that I can finally play games without being afraid T^T
Thank you everyyyyy one, cuz it was because of you that I noticed I was using an unstable mobo bios!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot 2020-10-10 094955.png