Regular TV channels Vs Youtube

james_bond

I have discontinued my Digital Cable subscription. At the moment I have connected my PC to my LED TV & streaming everything.

By everything I mean I am streaming the local news channel that I used to watch using my Digital Cable as they offer free streaming on YouTube.

Now if I compare how much time I spend watching the regular TV channel vs other content which are available on Youtube which ranges 

from tech related stuff, defence related stuff, videos on fitness I realize that TV channels are becoming too boring. I mean most of the

time I am watching various YouTube videos & hardly watching TV channels any more.

What about you guys ? TV (channels) vs YouTube which one wins ?

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

I've barely watched TV in the last couple years.

Mostly was just watching the news here and there whenever I wasn't on the PC.

Finally cancelled my service last February. My living room is now entirely useless. 😂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The only TV I watch really is hockey. Other than that, I just watch some Hong Kong dramas periodically as watching those legally online can be a challenge in North America. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I pulled the TV Cable off in 2016. Couldnt stand this brainwash garbage anymore. Didnt regret it one Day.

Apps like Plex, Netflix and YT is all i watch.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

if only there were adblock for terrestrial tv

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

I would try youtube tv but it was asking $60.00 US a month here and that seems high to me.

I dumped my Satellite TV couple years back and I don't regret it. 💩

Over the air broadcast network TV has gotten so bad too. 🤮

With watching free youtube along with using my iPad to just watch the movies and shows I really like.

It's like a whole new world of "just what I like entertainment" for me now and I like it. 😁

I'm even considering getting rid of the 55" 4k TV and Sony 5.1 surround system.

The way things are I hardly even use it anymore so why keep it.

Looking back now I think I should have bought an iMac instead of the TV and surround system. 🤔

I would have been happier. 😄

Pretty sure that tv is mostly seen by boomers

Anyway between the twos, youtube, you can see/listen pretty much whatever thing you want to, when/where you do want to,

even though there are a couple of thing that I don't like about the platform.. for me it's better than the tv

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the delay in reading your replies.

@admin

Is there a way to receive email notification when a reply is posted ?

I am getting the "push notifications" via Firefox but no email notifications.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

6 minutes ago, james_bond said:

Sorry guys for the delay in reading your replies.

@admin

Is there a way to receive email notification when a reply is posted ?

I am getting the "push notifications" via Firefox but no email notifications.

If you click on follow it should give you some extra option including the mail thing

I have a antenna on my TV and pick up about 30 channels, the image is better than when I had cable too. Sure its limited and no on demand and what not. But Its free so I'm not complaining, now only if you could do that with internet...

On 9/22/2020 at 1:43 AM, james_bond said:

I have discontinued my Digital Cable subscription. At the moment I have connected my PC to my LED TV & streaming everything.

By everything I mean I am streaming the local news channel that I used to watch using my Digital Cable as they offer free streaming on YouTube.

Now if I compare how much time I spend watching the regular TV channel vs other content which are available on Youtube which ranges 

from tech related stuff, defence related stuff, videos on fitness I realize that TV channels are becoming too boring. I mean most of the

time I am watching various YouTube videos & hardly watching TV channels any more.

What about you guys ? TV (channels) vs YouTube which one wins ?

Youtube actually offers paid TV services, but its kinda expensive. 

I watch shit tons of YouTube. However we use a TV antenna to get Live TV. The antenna costed me about $30. I have it hooked to an HD Homerun and that is piped in to my Plex server. What does that mean? Well the HD Homerun has 4 TV tuners built in that means I can watch up to 4 things at one time. With the Plex server I get a guide as well as the ability to watch and or record up to 4 things at a time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, Acid Panda said:

if only there were adblock for terrestrial tv

While you can’t do it live. Plex does have a feature to remove commercials from recordings. Never tested it myself however. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.