What I want to say to all the people who take the time to reply here

smmmokin

Hi Friends,

I have not posted a ton on here. But one thing I always think of is Linus saying he likes this place because it's a welcoming place with great people who are not dicks.

Every single time I have posted on here I have had people be brutally honest. "No. That is stupid and I'm going to tell you why. Once you reply I will again to tell you what you are thinking is stupid" It's like a cold hard smack in the face of reality. When those people do it there are also those who step in and say "Yeah but this and this. I'm on team OP." It's an interesting dynamic. I've seen it many times browsing the forum as well.

I often wonder exactly what Linus means by people being dicks. The times people were brutally honest giving their opinion it's made me feel stupid. But in each case I can say for a fact that it was appreciated. Because without true and honest opinions from people with experience...how will anyone ever know what is going on. I've really been digging in. I could build a computer late 90's early 00's but then always bought laptops for some reason I can never understand. Lost my way. But between the very few cold hard truths on here and browsing posts I've really got a grasp and know what I'm doing. Sick of gaming on laptops. In two weeks when everything comes in the prick is gone thanks to many of you.

The point of all this? I just really wonder about what Linus means when he talks about this place. I've both seen and experienced "dicks" but haven't had a problem with it. Yes the kind and polite people who share information are I'd say the most helpful. But it's those people who make you feel stupid that make you really think, research, and discover your own opinions. Really find the truth on your own and get a full understanding. Maybe they get removed but I haven't ever seen "dicks" on here. I kind of don't get it. 

I've been thinking about this a lot lately so had to waste everyone's time and come ramble on like I'm resting in a chair getting my head fixed. It really is awesome so many come here and give their time to help other people. I've looked at other sites and don't see a difference between the way people talk from what I see but this is such a well organized fined tuned machine of precision information that nothing beats it. Try saying that sentence in one breathe.

But in all seriousness all of you people are awesome. Always blows my mind that so many people are willing to help others. Your time is truly appreciated. Really can't say that enough.

Cause you know you are awesome. I can't say enough an...*Walks away because you've had enough.

6 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

I often wonder exactly what Linus means by people being dicks. The times people were brutally honest giving their opinion it's made me feel stupid.

Could always just ask him. In all likelihood, he wouldn't bother answering, since he is a busy guy and has better things to do than to answer every post aimed at him here, but I suppose you wouldn't lose much by giving it a try.

That said, the latter part of your quote was kind of interesting in this context, since that is what average people tend to consider as one "being a dick"; I have Asperger's syndrome and tend to just say things out in a concise and direct manner and people constantly think of me as "being a dick" -- including here on the forums, which is kind of a bummer at times, since I am just trying to be helpful. Linus, apparently, doesn't seem to think that way or at least has not shown any reason to think he does. One can only guess as to what sort of behaviour he'd ascribe to someone as "being a dick", but whatever it is, he does seem to be rather capable of dealing with atypical behaviour without immediately flagging that as "being a dick."

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Lots of people don't know how to put things nicely. I'm not too good with that myself. I say it like it is, I never intend for it to come off as harsh. I assume the same to most of those people as well. The whole "don't be a dick" thing boils down to: don't insult people, call them names, or make them feel unwelcome. The only people we don't welcome on these forums are scalpers and Tunnel Bear. Beyond that, even people who put pineapple on pizza, or eat with a table spoon (Rooster Teeth podcast reference), are welcome here. 

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Could always just ask him. In all likelihood, he wouldn't bother answering, since he is a busy guy and has better things to do than to answer every post aimed at him here, but I suppose you wouldn't lose much by giving it a try.

That said, the latter part of your quote was kind of interesting in this context, since that is what average people tend to consider as one "being a dick"; I have Asperger's syndrome and tend to just say things out in a concise and direct manner and people constantly think of me as "being a dick" -- including here on the forums, which is kind of a bummer at times, since I am just trying to be helpful. Linus, apparently, doesn't seem to think that way or at least has not shown any reason to think he does. One can only guess as to what sort of behaviour he'd ascribe to someone as "being a dick", but whatever it is, he does seem to be rather capable of dealing with atypical behaviour without immediately flagging that as "being a dick."

Whoa. You don't need to be a dick about it. I was just trying to say something nice. ;) Trying to ask Linus a question is like trying to ask Kim Jung Un a question. It doesn't make sense how that's possible lol. You post a ton here so even if some people think you are, you're the kind of person I like. Good to have generic answers and go off that. But make me feel stupid, I need to figure out if I am or not lol.

Have a good night friend.

13 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Lots of people don't know how to put things nicely. I'm not too good with that myself. I say it like it is, I never intend for it to come off as harsh. I assume the same to most of those people as well. The whole "don't be a dick" thing boils down to: don't insult people, call them names, or make them feel unwelcome. The only people we don't welcome on these forums are scalpers and Tunnel Bear. Beyond that, even people who put pineapple on pizza, or eat with a table spoon (Rooster Teeth podcast reference), are welcome here. 

Kind of helps. It's just weird because I've never seen anyone act that way on other sites when it comes to computers. I guess maybe you need to really browse around and hang out for a while. I feel like I can maybe chalk this up to me being naive. In which case I still wanted to say thanks to people. Cup half full.

There's definately an elitist group here. When I see stuff like them being dicks or being disrespectful, I'll call them out on their shit. I find that saying stuff how it is does work even helping with something. And I have been on the receiving end of that. It's not that fun, especially with the anxiety I face at the best of times. 

As for Linus, he doesn't really look at every thread. I think if he sees something that piques his interest he'll look at the thread, but he never looks at troubleshooting type threads. He doesn't have a reason to. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

12 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

There's definately an elitist group here.

I have a few select people I've "ignored" (really wish we could block on this forum) that I know for sure fall under this category.

14 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

Kind of helps. It's just weird because I've never seen anyone act that way on other sites when it comes to computers. I guess maybe you need to really browse around and hang out for a while. I feel like I can maybe chalk this up to me being naive. In which case I still wanted to say thanks to people. Cup half full.

The way I see it, it's kinda the norm around here. Most people are just trying to be helpful and get other's systems back up and running. Often times people ask a question without giving important details like system specs, error messages, changes made, etc. So it can get to a point where you need to be really upfront and specific with someone, or just stop trying at that point. Sometimes this happens multiple times in a row and those who help just get tired and aggravated and inadvertently take out their frustrations on those asking for help.

Being blunt is not being a dick, although it's harsh, I've seen it.

Sometimes we're just tired of saying the same thing again and again so we just say it bluntly

"No that PSU is bad" without giving a good reason

But sometimes we have standards too high for the average consumer like some of our PSU elitists will say anything that's not in the list is a fire hazard and will definitely start a fire, but in reality that PSU might run fine

They may be harsh but they have good intentions. I've seen so many cases of PSU burning out the entire systems so I can see why they're that paranoid.

I can sometimes be very blunt and rude too, especially if the same topic keeps appearing everyday or if the OP is being stubborn/rude.

edit: Moonzy's reaction to "Will my PC bottle neck RTX?" "Is my PSU enough for RTX?" threads, circa 2020

Spoiler

edit 2: also, to everyone helping, just remember that we're not obligated to help. Just do what you can.

and it's okay to agree to disagree, since everyone have different experiences.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, smmmokin said:

I often wonder exactly what Linus means by people being dicks. The times people were brutally honest giving their opinion it's made me feel stupid. But in each case I can say for a fact that it was appreciated.

I don't see people being dick when it's a person like you. People start becoming dicks when there is people who you tell something and they are unwilling to do anything to try and understand what you're saying. You explain it to them and they start being a dick. Naturally you become a dick and then the linus police shows up. At least thats how I got in trouble with the linus police.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I can sometimes be very blunt and rude too

Oo, I like it when you're rough with me, hun ;)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Often times people ask a question without giving important details like system specs

I tend to get irrationally upset about this. I do try not to, but eh..sometimes one just can't control themselves properly. Whenever I ask a question or look for advice, I always try to find answers by myself first and only go and bother other people after I've tried by myself, and when I do, I try to explain clearly what it is about and think of all the details someone might need to answer my question(s), so it then tends to send me off the rails when I see people who didn't spend even half a second on trying to help themselves, let alone writing a well-formed question.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I tend to get irrationally upset about this. I do try not to, but eh..sometimes one just can't control themselves properly. Whenever I ask a question or look for advice, I always try to find answers by myself first and only go and bother other people after I've tried by myself, and when I do, I try to explain clearly what it is about and think of all the details someone might need to answer my question(s), so it then tends to send me off the rails when I see people who didn't spend even half a second on trying to help themselves, let alone writing a well-formed question.

That's how I feel. You look and look and it's impossible to get a very specific direct answer to something that's guaranteed stupid and simple to so many others. Feel stupid asking some questions but you literally have no choice. To walk in blind I'd feel filthy. I just repeated what you said so...I'll hit reply I guess. Between you and a few others I liked the insight here.

10 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

answer to something that's guaranteed stupid and simple to so many others. Feel stupid asking some questions

You've now spoken about "asking stupid questions" a couple of times in the context of yourself. I think you may have some issues with insecurity. That said, go ahead and fire away; most people here who are reasonably active at trying to help others do not mind even stupid questions, if the asker shows that they've tried to get things resolved by themselves first. Also, it quite often turns out that the questions aren't nearly as stupid as the person asking them thinks -- I'd be extremely surprised, if this didn't apply to you, as well!

33 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

Feel stupid asking some questions but you literally have no choice.

there are no dumb questions, unless you purposely made it so

everyone starts learning somewhere

I myself have asked "bad" questions in my earlier days and i still do sometimes

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The whole "don't be a dick" thing boils down to: don't insult people, call them names, or make them feel unwelcome.

i guess at the bottom of it, it's a really simple principle:

ask others in a way you would like to be asked and answer how you would like to be answered.

but i think @smmmokin is right in that this community seems to be quite a friendly and welcoming place. people around here (atleast in my experience) are easy-going and focused on finding a solution to the problems i had. most of the time being upfront and telling how things are is way more helpful than nodding to everything just to not hurt my feelings... also there seems to be always someone who knows what he's talking about and replies in 5 mins max :D

then, giving back some of the help and time others have put into me is the least i can do or try to do :)

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

6 hours ago, smmmokin said:

The point of all this? I just really wonder about what Linus means when he talks about this place. I've both seen and experienced "dicks" but haven't had a problem with it. Yes the kind and polite people who share information are I'd say the most helpful. But it's those people who make you feel stupid that make you really think, research, and discover your own opinions. Really find the truth on your own and get a full understanding. Maybe they get removed but I haven't ever seen "dicks" on here. I kind of don't get it. 

I’ve always assumed that by “dicks” they are referring to be people targeting attacks at each other or just being plain nasty. It sounds like the comments you have received are blunt but fortunately not from “dicks”. I rarely see it here, but every so often there will be a thread that gets derailed (from what I’ve seen, mostly tech news that is related to governments/politics) and the people just start fighting. The mods on here are very active and do great work so they are quickly removed and the threads locked so the forum is clean from “dicks”.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Haven't seen people being too harsh here, tbh. But maybe that's because I have high tolerance for that kinda stuff online.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

just don't visit the audio and psu sub thread here.... JK  /s 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

just don't visit the audio and psu sub thread here.... JK  /s 

"Will my 1000w Platinum PSU be enough for i5 8400 and 3080?" Something like that...... :)

8 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Tunnel Bear

what? Is there something I dont know?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

there are some

Hide contents

Untitled.png.44f671e026580a491d3101ac2615fe1f.png

You aren't wrong tho. I know it's tongue in-cheek but IMO harsh is when you get too worked up for not enough reason. You have enough reason there to recommend OP to throw the PSU in the trash.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

what? Is there something I dont know?

Main Rig :

Laptop :