Is Zalman GigaMax ZM650-GVII a good purchase?

TheJedi

I'm looking for a PSU for my build next year. Nothing is final, but I think I need a 650W.

I'm looking at the Zalman GigaMax ZM650-GVII, its around £55 from my chosen retailer which is the cheapest I have found a 650W PSU for.

This one isn't, I don't think, on the PSU tier list, but the 850W version is so would anyone be able to tell me if it is a good buy?

I'm planning to use it with an RTX 2070 super with a Ryzen 5 3600.

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

I've never had a great feeling about zalman, they seem to be stuck in the past with their design and their product quality, but that's just my disposition I don't have any real reasons to back that up on the PSU front.

If you aren't going to build until next year, maybe you might want to wait until next year to buy a PSU since most of them are overpriced and out of stock at the moment.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

what are the pc specs you are powering?

you only need 650W for a high end pc, in which case, getting "the cheapest I have found" is not a good idea.

the gigamax GVII is in Tier C on the tier list, only recommended for entry level systems

Just now, boggy77 said:

what are the pc specs you are powering?

you only need 650W for a high end pc, in which case, getting "the cheapest I have found" is not a good idea.

the gigamax GVII is in Tier C on the tier list, only recommended for entry level systems

As I said in my post

Ryzen 5 3600

RTX 2070 super

Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3200mhz

MSI B450M Mortor Max

These are only estimates, prices will change next year so I reckon I may be able to get better parts that fit my budget. I'm just looking to see what's available now. 

System

1 minute ago, CloudPC said:

As I said in my post

Ryzen 5 3600

RTX 2070 super

Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3200mhz

MSI B450M Mortor Max

These are only estimates, prices will change next year so I reckon I may be able to get better parts that fit my budget. I'm just looking to see what's available now. 

so you plan to spend £1000 on a pc but only get the cheapest psu?

doesn't sound like a good idea.

get a corsair txm or a bequiet pure power. they are not much more expensive than that zalman, but much much better quality and longer warranty. also, 550W are enough for that system, you don't need 650W.

Just now, boggy77 said:

so you plan to spend £1000 on a pc but only get the cheapest psu?

doesn't sound like a good idea.

get a corsair txm or a bequiet pure power. they are not much more expensive than that zalman, but much much better quality and longer warranty. also, 550W are enough for that system, you don't need 650W.

No, some of the parts will be used.

I'm gonna go with a second hand GPU aswell as CPU unless the prices drop for the CPU by March 2021. I reckon they will with the release of Ryzen 4000 later this year.

My budget is going to be around £700 but I would like to spend less so I can upgrade my peripherals

System

Going off what @boggy77 said, a PSU is not the thing you want to cheap out on. It's literally the only thing in your computer that can explode, and cheap ones can/do. 

If you can spare a few bucks with a cheaper case or find a good deal on something else and put that money into your PSU it'd be money well spend in my opinion

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

1 minute ago, Nerdom said:

Going off what @boggy77 said, a PSU is not the thing you want to cheap out on. It's literally the only thing in your computer that can explode, and cheap ones can/do. 

If you can spare a few bucks with a cheaper case or find a good deal on something else and put that money into your PSU it'd be money well spend in my opinion

Ok, I'm gonna just wait till I actually have the money to buy, then I will consider my options and take to this forum again. Thanks for the advice!

System