Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can I share a internet connection with a house opposite with just a 5m wide street between them?

I tried shooting WiFi there but the speed is so slow. I only get 10mbit. I used to have a standard cat5e between then but it recently stopped working. And it will be difficult to run a new one because I don’t know how to do it. The old one was run there by my isp I used 7 years ago. I also want to keep it lightning protected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S Anu said:

I tried shooting WiFi there but the speed is so slow. I only get 10mbit. I used to have a standard cat5e between then but it recently stopped working. And it will be difficult to run a new one because I don’t know how to do it. The old one was run there by my isp I used 7 years ago. I also want to keep it lightning protected.

If lightning hits a cable it's done for that is normal. Running a cable is as easy as securing the new cable to the old one on one end and pulling the old cable out on the other. Then you get the cable on both sides, attach the needed head to the cable and done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a Point to Point set like the TP-Link CPE210. Just make sure they can see eachother.

Depending on what bandwith you want you might need to pick a a better one.

 

Also as a side note to cables outside. You will want a UV and moisture proof cable. Normal cat 5/6/7 cables are not suitable for outside and will slowly degrade till they fail. Plus they cannot handle the tension of a 5m gap. You will at least need to run steel cable for the cat cable to be tie wrapped to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell them to pay for their own internet.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaslion said:

If lightning hits a cable it's done for that is normal. Running a cable is as easy as securing the new cable to the old one on one end and pulling the old cable out on the other. Then you get the cable on both sides, attach the needed head to the cable and done.

As Jaslion said, Tie the current old lan cable's end with a string to a new cable of similar length, pull the old cable from the house 5m in front of you, Cut the old cable with its connectors, and if they are good, just attach it to old cable. If any one of the connector, out of them both is bad, then you need to crimp it or exchange those connectors with any other lan patch cables you have.

 

If you don't plan to install new cable, and you are setting repeater mode, make sure to set mode to 802.11n while repeating and 40Mhz(if there aren't many networks aorund) , for 5Ghz( 802.11 ac & 80Mhz ), ( I assume you don't have any devices prior to 2009) , and Also Make sure you have atleast a 2 or 3 Antenna Router or Access-point at both the ends. It must be in case your router supports WIFI 5/ 5Ghz Wifi.  So one antenna is continuously used for communication between routers and another between your devices in each house. So you won't experience any speed drops.

 

2 hours ago, Dujith said:

Get a Point to Point set like the TP-Link CPE210. Just make sure they can see eachother.

Depending on what bandwith you want you might need to pick a a better one.

 

Also as a side note to cables outside. You will want a UV and moisture proof cable. Normal cat 5/6/7 cables are not suitable for outside and will slowly degrade till they fail. Plus they cannot handle the tension of a 5m gap. You will at least need to run steel cable for the cat cable to be tie wrapped to. 

As Dujith said.. - You also need to make sure that repeater needs to receive a good amount of signal, free of any obstructions

 

And It is best if you can cable it again.

 

Another thing you can do is, if you and the house 5m away from you are on same Phase on your electricity Grid, you can use Powerline Adapters. They would give you a good performance

 

1 hour ago, Slayerking92 said:

Tell them to pay for their own internet.

Another Good Option suggested by Slayerking92😂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S Anu said:

I tried shooting WiFi there but the speed is so slow. I only get 10mbit. I used to have a standard cat5e between then but it recently stopped working. And it will be difficult to run a new one because I don’t know how to do it. The old one was run there by my isp I used 7 years ago. I also want to keep it lightning protected.

Set up a PtP wireless bridge using 5GHz. While a distance of 5m is good enough to run shielded ethernet between the buildings, you can’t predict what will happen to the segment that runs through the road (whether buried or in the open air).

 

You can’t protect all equipment from a direct lightning strike, but if there is no physical cable between the two houses, then there’s no way for damage to occur to both. A wireless PtP bridge will keep networks on each side with just wireless communication in between. But since you’ll have to mount the station/AP on the outside of the houses, I’d still recommend mounting on the wall (under roof cover) providing you have good line-of-sight between devices, and using ethernet surge protectors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×