Microsoft To Buy Bethesda Studios For $7.5 Billion

1 minute ago, rushboarduk said:

It will, certainly, be interesting to see how their upcoming games, DEATHLOOP and Ghostwire: Tokyo, are impacted in the coming months.

In particular, Ghostwire was intended to be for PC, and PlayStation-exclusive on console.  With the acquisition, however, that may not be the case anymore.

They already said that they're going to honor the deal. AFAIK they're only timed-exclusives.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 minute ago, rushboarduk said:

It will, certainly, be interesting to see how their upcoming games, DEATHLOOP and Ghostwire: Tokyo, are impacted in the coming months.

In particular, Ghostwire was intended to be for PC, and PlayStation-exclusive on console.  With the acquisition, however, that may not be the case anymore.

It will depend on contracts and how they are written.  I could see microsoft possibly attempting to tank a game if it was being used to damage one of their main products and they couldn’t make use of it themselves.  They may consider PC to be their product though and that might be enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Maybe related.

1600705029915.png.edbd85d44331dec3b95f9e570fc0ed18.png

Good luck!

Spoiler

it's not "political" it's a joke ok ;D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

How many of these games were PC exclusive though? With no plans to be released on any console? Or at least no immediate plans?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

People already wished for Microsoft to fire Todd and Hines. Todd resigning or being fired would be epic albeit awkward considering this blog post he write regarding the deal, claiming the guys at Xbox to be a long friend of him.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox

image.png.2dcd9d8f5f033d82e95bcc737ae7c023.png

Regarding Xbox cleaning up Bethesda Game Studios, I think there is some fundamental issue about their company culture that needs to be addressed. Video below dug through how Bethesda Games Studios develop their games and why it could explain their recent decline.

Nothing about BGS changed around 2012 that set them on a different trajectory. From after Morrowind (the time when Weaver was kicked-out of his company and it became Altman's project and when Todd Howard gained comprehensive creative control), Bethesda has been on the same trajectory of increasingly dumbed-down, low production values, mindlessly-designed games. That wasn't a marketing strategy, it was just a direct expression of Todd and company's overly-simplistic thinking.

Todd and the writer for these games are like Beavis and Butthead. They actually think they're doing big things when they aren't. They actually thought the story in Fallout 4 worked when it obviously didn't. They laugh to themselves and think it's cool when they put something in the game that makes other people groan because it's lame. They're dumbasses, and their games have reflected that ever since 2002. But the dumb-assery didn't encompass all aspects of their games until more recent years.

The change at Bethesda occurred around 2002. And from Morrowind onward, each next Bethesda came featured the same amount of stupidifying and reduction in depth from the last. After 2012 is simply where the next-step in dumbing-down actually grabbed your attention. But it was happening all along, and post-2012 has just been the same continuation of the trajectory that Bethesda had long-been traversing. That's all, there was no change. And it was being pointed-out and decried by many - and those decrying it were attacked on forums by Bethesda fanboys from those discretionless and hype-loving Xbox / Xbox One generations of gamers for doing so.

Today, there is far less hype going around because the gaming market has largely learned its lessons the hard way with so many top-tier game series and developers (Dice, Blizzard, BioWare, Bethesda...) crashing and burning after having been puffed-up with hype.

But in the days of Oblivion till Skyrim, hype was a massive part of the experience of the game products which the then-new generations of gamers valued. And if you crossed people's hype, it would be like you personally insulted their family. They put games and certain developers on pedestals and it was the fad to inflate the hype as much as possible. Guess how that turned-out? Those doing the hyping started believing their own hype and it became dogmatism, and Bethesda took the hype as reality and increasingly grew a false sense that their shortcomings weren't shortcomings, and they didn't grow as developers, but rather rotted from the inside as they held what was false about themselves and their games to be true.

There was a multitude of people giving Bethesda a free pass while hyping them because the size of the gaming market absolutely exploded and multiplied many times over around the time of the Xbox and Xbox One consoles. A multitude of millions of new gamers started gaming because of console advertisements and hype from their friends about it. And games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 were among the first games they played. They didn't have much experience to compare those games, or the elements that were making-up Bethesda games, against better things. So, it was easy for them to believe that what they were playing was the best things had ever been - especially when they were all telling themselves that. And they chose to make hype a core component of their gaming experience and refused to listen to, and attacked and mocked anything that contradicted their hype. But their hype wasn't true.

Fallout 4 and Fallout '76 are bad games because Skyrim was a bad game but people lauded Bethesda for it. Skyrim was a bad game because Fallout 3 was a terrible game but people lauded Bethesda for it. Fallout 3 was a terrible game because Oblivion was a very compromised game but people lauded Bethesda for it. People trained and conditioned Bethesda to believe that their stupidity and incompetent game design was their power and strength, and that they'd be glorified for those things. It's long-past time that those non-discerning Xbox and Xbox One generations realize the central role they played in Bethesda making bad games up to this point.

What's the effect or moment called when there are two elements of one thing, and the smaller one keeps growing while the larger one keeps diminishing, and then there comes a point where the one that was smaller is now the dominant one and suddenly people notice or suddenly the manifestation of what was ongoing is obvious and on the surface? People who weren't paying attention think that something happened at that point to suddenly change things, when no underlying change was made. All that happened was the inevitable meaning of what had been ongoing all along became manifest at the surface layer.

That is all that happened post-2012 with Bethesda, for those who weren't tuned-in to Bethesda's continuous downward-spiral under Altman and Howard. There was no decision in 2012 that changed things, there was no change in Bethesda's conduct and approach. It was just Bethesda continuing to be the same Bethesda while getting a free pass from people who loved hype more than truth, who didn't listen and ignored the issued until the same issues that were there all along had corroded away even the woefully inadequate parts of the games that the fanboys had clung to.

With Bethesda's decline, gamers received exactly what they were purchasing with all of their mindless, made-up hype for so many years. And the way to not have more bad games from Bethesda in 2015-onward was to not artificially praise their bad games pre-2015.

Bethesda under the direction of Todd Howard has been a moronic studio and like a simpleton who has no perception and so designs things only by reducing what was there before until there's nothing of value left. That's what Bethesda has been since 2002.

The Blistering Stupidity of Fallout 3, Part 1

In that last video, a bunch of technical incompetencies in Skyrim that anyone with an appreciable level of awareness would recognize are issues and fix them during development - but not Bethesda. Those incompetencies are not disparate incidences and coincidences. That same characteristic quality of incompetence thoroughly permeates all aspects of Bethesda's game design, including the writing and quest design, the animations, the AI, and more, since 2002.

That cringy incompetence, that moronism, is the Bethesda touch - and it's a direct expression of those who are directing the development of their games. And it's what has driven the ever-stupidifying of their games from each previous game to the next.

Bethesda is a very low-bar company that was in possession of a very high-bar IP, the creators of which had left the company by 2002. And rather than recognize that Bethesda was giving very low-bar treatment of its high-bar IP, people praised them for it which enabled and fed the the continual worsening of the company.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

That was the guy that did the history of piece I saw.  I recognize the studio background tiles.  Seems he’s still on more or less the same subject.

“Bad” and “good” aren’t particularly useful monikers here.  The statement seems to have been made that fallout 3 and 4 are “pieces of garbage”.  I think that should be tested. I find the guy is that unite inconsistent about his statements about fallout3.  He has pieces trashing it but also calls it a great game in the quoted piece. 
So are Fallon 3 & 4 “pieces of garbage” as is claimed?  Let’s test that.

Compare them to other games of the same period.  Compare their sales numbers and sales numbers over time.  Are they garbage then?  It’s possible I suppose.  There are a bunch of classic films that would be considered garbage if done today.  3 stuges in particular come to mind.  They seem tropey and lowbrow and predictable and hackneyed.  The problem is time.  Look at when they were done. they invented basically everything they are doing.  They were wildly original. They MADE the trope.  They seem hackneyed now because so many people copied them.  The question are the stuges classic?  Not so sure. They made major achievements in the form but so did the leather stocking tales.  Nobody reads the leather stocking tales.  Ever heard of ‘Natty Bumpo”?  No? Not surprising.  How about “Oliver Twist”?   The leather stocking tales just aren’t very readable.  Nobody much buys fallout3 or 4 these days.  Skyrim is still selling though.  WitcherIII is still selling.  What else is still selling?

On 9/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Commodus said:

It's a huge move, if not so great for PlayStation and Switch owners. My question: is this a major coup, or is Microsoft pulling another Nokia and buying a key company when it's too late to save the platform?

Save what Platform? Xbox? PC gaming? I dont see either of those going anywhere any time soon. Both are money makers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Save what Platform? Xbox? PC gaming? I dont see either of those going anywhere any time soon. Both are money makers. 

I don't think the Xbox is in that much danger, to be clear. It's that Microsoft has a history of making Hail Mary deals that it should have looked at years earlier. It's to the point where Microsoft announcing a mega deal makes you wonder just how bad the situation is.

22 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Fallout 3 was a terrible 

Flawed? Sure. Terrible? Nah, it's actually great nevertheless. Had as much fun with it as very few other games can claim.

After playing it a lot, one may start coming up with specific ways in which it could be better as a game, but I haven't found a game that is the same + those fixes either. I guess some people were looking for something else, though.