Microsoft To Buy Bethesda Studios For $7.5 Billion

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I wouldn't say it's too late considering they're surviving heavily on id titles.

I don't mean Bethesda, I mean Microsoft!

The company is notorious for making too-little-too-late deals that go south. It bought Nokia when Windows Phone/Mobile was clearly dying, it snapped up Ninja and Shroud as Mixer exclusives when Twitch was already dominant... the Xbox definitely isn't dead, it's just a question of whether gamers will follow.

The timing definitely isn't a coincidence. Microsoft just said "if it helps your Xbox Series X pre-order decision, remember that Bethesda games will be on Game Pass."

All Windows will now carry a copy of skyrim.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

I'm aware of the history and what you meant, but Zenimax/Bethesda isn't exactly dying.   Doom Eternal, Quake Champions, and other titles are still profitable for them.   They had like two bad games under the Bethesda division, and everybody made a ton of assumptions about their finances.

I know, but that's not the concern. The concern is that the Xbox itself struggles, and Microsoft effectively kills Bethesda by making it release games exclusively for a shrinking platform, no matter how good those games might be. Nokia's issue wasn't that it didn't know how to make phones (the Lumia series pre-Microsoft was generally good), it was that it was chained to a dying mobile OS when it should have been using Android.

39 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

This is 3x what they payed for Mojang/Minecraft 

This is more than one big game.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I do not like this.

I do not like this one bit.

And this is coming from someone that just recently bought 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate (with the gold->GamePass conversion) and therefore stands to benefit from it.

The more games and franchises are controlled by a single corporation, the worse it'll be for everyone. Maybe not now, maybe not in a couple years, but in the long run...

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

I know, but that's not the concern. The concern is that the Xbox itself struggles, and Microsoft effectively kills Bethesda by making it release games exclusively for a shrinking platform, no matter how good those games might be. Nokia's issue wasn't that it didn't know how to make phones (the Lumia series pre-Microsoft was generally good), it was that it was chained to a dying mobile OS when it should have been using Android.

MS has been steadily releasing all their games on PC lately, I'm far more concerned about the PlayStation audience right now.

42 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

This is 3x what they payed for Mojang/Minecraft 

I just realised that. Insane. Notch probably feels ripped off lmaoooo.

You're gonna carry that weight.

Spoiler

hehe funni edgy signature

As long as Microsoft keeps by their PC users and makes the makes not just some terrible Xbox exclusive and releasing their games on PC. As much as I cant stand how broken the games tend to be I do enjoy me some Elder Scrolls as I am a HUGE RPG Fantasy person. 

1 minute ago, Rauten said:

I do not like this.

I do not like this one bit.

And this is coming from someone that just recently bought 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate (with the gold->GamePass conversion) and therefore stands to benefit from it.

The more games and franchises are controlled by a single corporation, the worse it'll be for everyone. Maybe not now, maybe not in a couple years, but in the long run...

MS has been steadily releasing all their games on PC lately, I'm far more concerned about the PlayStation audience right now.

On the side of concern for the PS audience, speaking as someone who's had limited dedication and playtime on consoles (and 99% was on PS2&4) I quite enjoy the exclusives and find it as a plus to being on the platform.

2 minutes ago, MoozOfDoomz said:

I just realised that. Insane. Notch probably feels ripped off lmaoooo.

Why? Mojang got 2 Bill for 1 game vs 7 Bill for 7+ game franchises. Mojang still got the far better deal.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I wonder what will happen with that time travel game that they showed off during the ps5 event. It seems the way to go now is switch/PC or Xbox.

Spoiler

It'll be interesting to see how this affects the folks at Id.  Historically, they've very openly thumbed their noses at Microsoft's DirectX.  Carmack, back before most of you were even aware of the Internet, said something along the lines of, "DirectX being the worst API I've ever seen."  And while Carmack isn't driving Id any longer, that attitude has remained there.  See: Doom and Vulkan.

If MS is smart, they'll "ignore" Id and let them do their thing with whatever API they want to.  Because they consistently produce quality, even with Bethesda's yoke on them.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

As long as Microsoft keeps by their PC users and makes the makes not just some terrible Xbox exclusive and releasing their games on PC. As much as I cant stand how broken the games tend to be I do enjoy me some Elder Scrolls as I am a HUGE RPG Fantasy person. 

It's virtually guaranteed Microsoft will release these games for Windows PCs. At most, I imagine Microsoft asking for games to reach the Xbox first. Remember, PC availability increases Game Pass subscriptions.

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Why? Mojang got 2 Bill for 1 game vs 7 Bill for 7+ game franchises. Mojang still got the far better deal.

Hmmm... I guess you're right. My bad.

Spoiler

Good riddance, get rid of their awful launcher

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, HowardYing said:

As of this morning, Microsoft announced its plans to aquire ZeniMax for $7.5 billion. It's said it's to help boost Xbox sales as a push to get Bethesda games onto game pass.

Zenimax Bethesda

I don't know about y'all, It doesn't seem great for future Bethesda titles. But who am I to say?

https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/21/microsoft-bethesda-acquisition/?fbclid=IwAR39jdPgWoaF4GPMXTOzMqSGQMU1ztSqHM-HfrL1lD1xEdA2gpFAjOfb_6Y
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-21/microsoft-to-buy-bethesda-studios-for-7-5-billion-to-boost-xbox

I don't know that it's bad for Bethesda titles.  After Fallout 76 I have so little faith in Bethesda leadership that maybe Microsoft's pressure with force them to reconsider their approach for Starfield and TES:6.  If Bethesda makes another terrible experience for its customers, it will look bad on Microsoft and XBOX simultaneously which would be a PR nightmare

I have a feeling Xbox might take this gen halfway through, PS5 will win in the short term because of their brand recognition, but xbox will take back the lead with their better performance and the SES, also this bethesda purchase will draw in a good amount of people.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

This probably had more to do with id which Zenimax owns.  MS has had a long history with them dating back to the 90s.

So Starfield and TES:6 could be just as crap as FO:76 launch?

Is it a problem that I actually see this as a good thing?  Y'know, since Bethesda's been so garbage lately.

Microsoft is legitimately not the worst tech company out there.  That's more of a sad reality than a compliment to Microsoft.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

My prediction: In the fallout of the purchase (Pun) Nintendo or Sony buys Sega.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, MoozOfDoomz said:

Just to put it in context.

Edit: FALLOUT NEW VEGAS 2 NOW THAT OBSIDIAN AND BETHESDA ARE SISTER STUDIOS???

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |