I screwed up and bought an OEM 10600k from Scan instead of a retail 10600k...

As per title...

...it arrived loose in a box with no retail packaging. What are the odds that it's been used and isn't a good overclocker?

I'm concerned I've negatively biased my silicone lottery chances.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

When you try it you'll know.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Tray CPUs are common.

Your silicon lottery chances are similar.

That's NOT an OEM, Intels sells it as box package or as a tray with multiple chips in it, it's the same chip, just packaged as single or multiple. It's a K so you have equal chances for a Silicon Lottery.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Tray CPUs are common.

You're silicon lottery chances are similar.

I'm not sure I really understand it. How would a company like Scan Computers have OEM parts? Have they been taken out of pre-builds? Are they second hand? I don't really get it.

But yeah, I hope so, I just can't get past the idea that it might have been knocking around for a while and already been tested and rejected by a previous buyer. 

5 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

When you try it you'll know.

I guess so.

I just went to Amazon and cancelled and re-ordered the motherboard I was intending to use it with to get the faster shipping. It's feels like it's taking forever to reach me. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, Jake13942 said:

That's NOT an OEM, Intels sells it as box package or as a tray with multiple chips in it, it's the same chip, just packaged as single or multiple. It's a K so you have equal chances for a Silicon Lottery.

Thanks, I'm just worried it's been used and already tested and might have been returned because it doesn't overclock well.

I think I might contact them and ask how likely that might be, although I'm not sure if it's naïve of me to expect an honest reply.

If hitting the silicon lottery matters to you this much then run it, OC it and check, then return it, most of the OC community looking for silicon lottery does this, but I don't recommend it tho.

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

I'm not sure I really understand it. How would a company like Scan Computers have OEM parts? Have they been taken out of pre-builds? Are they second hand? I don't really get it.

Well Scan is giving me access errors, so I can't see it.

That said, I think you have a misconception about what OEM is.

OEM items are generally made a bit cheaper by shifting the warranty responsibility.

So you can buy OEM Windows licenses, but you don't get support from Microsoft. 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3990x/p/N82E16819113621?Description=oem cpu&cm_re=oem_cpu-_-19-113-621-_-Product

Or this OEM 3990X. It comes without any accessories and the warranty is 30 days.

So I'd be more concerned about the lack of warranty than the possibility that it was used and seek a replacement non-OEM order.

An OEM CPUs are only slightly cheaper (usually around £10-20), the cost saving is on the packaging and included items.

The Chip itself is identical.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

You only get 12 months warranty on an oem cpu. The retail version has 3 years. Not really an issue though.

16 minutes ago, Jake13942 said:

If hitting the silicon lottery matters to you this much then run it, OC it and check, then return it, most of the OC community looking for silicon lottery does this, but I don't recommend it tho.

To be honest I don't mind getting one that's an average overclocker, I just don't want to end up with one that's below average. It's why receiving a loose part is bothering me. I'm annoyed with myself for making the mistake since both the OEM and retail versions are the same price.

Just ran a search and found that an average 10600k overclock is 4.8 to 5.0GHz so I'd be hoping for a 4.9GHz overclock. If this one's less than 4.8 it's going to be disappointing.

15 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Well Scan is giving me access errors, so I can't see it.

That said, I think you have a misconception about what OEM is.

OEM items are generally made a bit cheaper by shifting the warranty responsibility.

So you can buy OEM Windows licenses, but you don't get support from Microsoft. 

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3990x/p/N82E16819113621?Description=oem cpu&cm_re=oem_cpu-_-19-113-621-_-Product

Or this OEM 3990X. It comes without any accessories and the warranty is 30 days.

So I'd be more concerned about the lack of warranty than the possibility that it was used and seek a replacement non-OEM order.

Oh okay, that's not good. I'm going to contact them and enquire about the warranty.

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

An OEM CPUs are only slightly cheaper (usually around £10-20), the cost saving is on the packaging and included items.

The Chip itself is identical.

Yeah, but a loose component means it could have been tested and returned already. Also the full retail version is the same price. 

You could always return it if it doesn't overclock that great. There is no guarantee that a retail version would be any better though. Just luck of the draw.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

You could always return it if it doesn't overclock that great. There is no guarantee that a retail version would be any better though. Just luck of the draw.

Yeah, I guess I at least get a second chance for a decent overclock this way. If this one O.C.'s to 5GHz under an AIO then it's definitely a keeper, shorter warranty or not.