Case for NAS Define XL 7 vs Enthoo 719

b3bis

So I am trying to "enclose" my NAS server which is a real SSI-EEB server motherboard (305W x 330D (mm)). Hardest need for the case is the mobo size and also the 6 (live) + 1 (hot spare) 3.5" HDDs that it has to accommodate. I had initially ordered a Fractal Design Define XL 7 which took a month to arrive and also came damaged so it is RMAed, but I am now thinking of going the Phanteks Enthoo 719 (Luxe 2) way. As far as looks are considered I prefer Phanteks.

One key difference is that for the Define XL 7 I already have candies for the disks. Kinda. I have them for the Define R6 and there is a post stating they can be used interchangeably (here & here). Phanteks trays are harder to find as of now, but considering that finding the case involved some calls so it can be ordered for me, I suppose the same goes for the trays.

Price is the same for both so no reason considering that. Take into consideration I am not residing in USA, I am in Greece, some high end stuff is not that easy to come by here. The trays for the Enthoo 719 would probably have me 15€ (~20USD) off, so not that much of an issue considering the whole price. Though Enthoo 719 also comes with no fans. But with RGB, so it's faster, right?

I am open to hear your thoughts, which one should I go to, any pros / cons would be greatly appreciated. Anyone that has experience with it?

Sounds like you’d have an easier time in the 7 XL. 

0G1A9863.jpg

As roomy as the 719 is, it fills quickly and cable management becomes a pain the the butt. Especially with the rear cable guillotine that tries to compress all the cables so you can close the rear. 

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Sounds like you’d have an easier time in the 7 XL. 

0G1A9863.jpg

As roomy as the 719 is, it fills quickly and cable management becomes a pain the the butt. Especially with the rear cable guillotine that tries to compress all the cables so you can close the rear. 

I think I've read this once more in the past about the 719 being a bit tight with huge mobos but as far as I can tell, 7 XL will be just the same. Do you have experience with both? I see that your mobo's size is 31 cm x 27.7 cm while mine is 305W x 330D (mm), so I suppose my situation will be even worse. What I've read is that with all these mobos the rubber grommet holes are unusable and you go the old (bad) way for tiding up the cords.

In any case I don't expect to have an easy ride with a server mobo in a consumer case.

8 minutes ago, b3bis said:

I think I've read this once more in the past about the 719 being a bit tight with huge mobos but as far as I can tell, 7 XL will be just the same. Do you have experience with both? I see that your mobo's size is 31 cm x 27.7 cm while mine is 305W x 330D (mm), so I suppose my situation will be even worse. What I've read is that with all these mobos the rubber grommet holes are unusable and you go the old (bad) way for tiding up the cords.

In any case I don't expect to have an easy ride with a server mobo in a consumer case.

Yeah, up front won't be too bad in the 719 as long as you plan, but there's a headache of a task planning around back.

0G1A9922-Edit.jpg.108b81751ce282a10c61209622ce741b.jpg

0G1A0213-2.thumb.jpg.a8a15c3422c938dace1933de7d81ec83.jpg

Just not a ton of places for all those drive cables.

You'll probably have a bit more breathing room depending on your PSU, but having built in both, the 7 XL wins by just enough for me to recommend it over the 719.

If they have just built  bulge into the rear panel, it would have been great.

2 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Yeah, up front won't be too bad in the 719 as long as you plan, but there's a headache of a task planning around back.

0G1A9922-Edit.jpg.108b81751ce282a10c61209622ce741b.jpg

0G1A0213-2.thumb.jpg.a8a15c3422c938dace1933de7d81ec83.jpg

Just not a ton of places for all those drive cables.

You'll probably have a bit more breathing room depending on your PSU, but having built in both, the 7 XL wins by just enough for me to recommend it over the 719.

If they have just built  bulge into the rear panel, it would have been great.

That is a good piece of information to have. Will be highly considered for the final decision.