Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3080's 10GB VRAM: Is it enough?

As a person who is thinking about buying a 3080 at some point, I'd like to ask a question.

I've been seeing most people say that 10GBs of VRAM is not enough for the near future (2021-2022)

I now have a 1080p monitor, I'll be using the 3080 with that first, and when I get the money, I might upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor.

So the questions are: Is 10GB's of VRAM that is in the 3080 enough? Does GDDR6X make up for the shortage of VRAM when compared to 2080ti's 11GBs of VRAM?

10GB is overkill,

Most modern GPUs have 6GB or 8GB.

I have 6GB and it's more than enough for 1440p.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439

Truth be told, nobody knows. As far as this moment, MS Flight Sim will max out all the VRAM you can throw at it on high resolutions but that is the exception, rather than the rule. The vast majority of games are perfectly fine with 8GB or less right now.

The main cause for concern is that both next-gen Xbox and PlayStation consoles are shipping with 16GB of VRAM, and the broad assumption is that when you give developers a resource like that to play with, they will find a way to use it, and subsequently cross-platform titles will develop an appetite for more VRAM than is commonly available. But it is impossible to say until it happens.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 3600, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SATA (boot), Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe (games/work), Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

just wait there will be a 20gb 3080 and 16gb 3070 so you'll have more choices

and AMD also will have other gpus

so wait until early November

yes it is enough for 1440p gaming. For how long well I don't know depends on the game. I wouldn't worry about it tho because AAA games use around 7gbs of vram at 1440p at the current year. 

Just now, FaxedForward said:

The main cause for concern is that both next-gen Xbox and PlayStation consoles are shipping with 16GB of VRAM

That's a misunderstanding,

In next gen consoles the CPU will be using 8GB of VRAM as RAM,and the GPU will have 8GB available for it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439

There was a (was it GN or Jayz)video recently, where they talked about how most of the time, VRAM can be "maxed out" when it was just all allocated.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:                                                                /\

(was a H1 build, but I cant spend 400$ on a case)                |

DREAM BUILD BIT BY BIT                        |

• Ryzen 5 5600x                                                                         |
  • ROG Strix B550-f GAMING                                                 |
  • 2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200mhz cl6   |
  • Old drives from Grandma -------------------------------------/
  • New Crucial P1 and Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB
  • Whichever 3070 I can get
  • Meshify C with tempered glass
  • 6 Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo
  • Full custom loop water cooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/HelpfulTechWizard/saved/s8XrD3

17 minutes ago, FaxedForward said:

The main cause for concern is that both next-gen Xbox and PlayStation consoles are shipping with 16GB of VRAM

That's 16GB total system RAM, (it's using GDDR6 for everything instead of DDR4 for system RAM like a PC) with half being dedicated to the GPU, much the same way integrated graphics work on PCs. That means it's 8GB of RAM dedicated to the GPU, and 8GB dedicated to the system. This is an extremely average RAM arrangement for mid-low end gaming PCs currently on the market.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272CR

Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Just now, BTGbullseye said:

That's 16GB total system RAM, with half being dedicated to the GPU, much the same way integrated graphics work on PCs. That means it's 8GB of RAM dedicated to the GPU, and 8GB dedicated to the system. This is an extremely average RAM arrangement for mid-low end gaming PCs currently on the market.

Not the same way, usually the PC igpu memory is not split evenly. Iirc an a 4gb laptop, it's > 1gb dedicated to the igpu.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:                                                                /\

(was a H1 build, but I cant spend 400$ on a case)                |

DREAM BUILD BIT BY BIT                        |

• Ryzen 5 5600x                                                                         |
  • ROG Strix B550-f GAMING                                                 |
  • 2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200mhz cl6   |
  • Old drives from Grandma -------------------------------------/
  • New Crucial P1 and Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB
  • Whichever 3070 I can get
  • Meshify C with tempered glass
  • 6 Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo
  • Full custom loop water cooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/HelpfulTechWizard/saved/s8XrD3

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

There was a (was it GN or Jayz)video recently, where they talked about how most of the time, VRAM can be "maxed out" when it was just all allocated.

It was a GN video, don't remember which one exactly but if I remember correctly the general point was that the system will show that all the memory is allocated, which might be true, but just because it is allocated does not mean it is actually being actively used. 

Edit: Found the video, it was the 3080 FE review linked below. The part about the VRAM is at 2:58 - 4:28.

Edited by The_russian
37 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Not the same way, usually the PC igpu memory is not split evenly. Iirc an a 4gb laptop, it's > 1gb dedicated to the igpu.

It's dynamic. It automatically adjusts based on allocation. It defaults to an 8/8 split. This is identical to how iGPUs on PCs work. (PCs automatically split it half and half if at 16GB or more RAM)

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272CR

Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Download more RAM pfft

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

10GB is plenty. Youll be fine for the next 3-4 years, those that say otherwise need to get rid of their crystal balls. The games will run with what they are given, and 10 GB is plenty for them.

Sure they will, but will they run fast enough to play?  An ultralight laptop Uclass iGPU will RUN a triple A game.  The problem is 12fps isn’t useable.  There are several reasons but the one that matters most for memory size is swap.

A Swapfile is hard drive space used as memory. Hard drives used to BE ram.  There was this stuff called drum memory that was basically a barrel shaped hard drive. The whole sector/track thing comes directly from that system.  a modern computer has as much memory as it needs because it digs into slow storage to get it.  You don’t see many “out of memory” errors these days. The problem with swap is it runs at storage speeds which are orders of magnitude slower than DDR(number) Any swap at all and you’ve got big problems.  Lots of swap and they could be fatal. Games run on buffered frames. Creates time limitations.

Back in college I used to dig into swap all the time.  I liked to tile gigantic pictures in quark on PowerPC Macs. Files were too big for ram.  The things would take days to print. It could do it though. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

That's a misunderstanding,

In next gen consoles the CPU will be using 8GB of VRAM as RAM,and the GPU will have 8GB available for it.

That clears everything up if that's the case in next-gen consoles.

1 hour ago, YsGrandi said:

just wait there will be a 20gb 3080 and 16gb 3070 so you'll have more choices

and AMD also will have other gpus

so wait until early November

That is true, however there are speculations about a big price difference between 10gb model and 20gb model and I don't think I will really need a 20GB GPU.

3 hours ago, Consul said:

it's "enough", though there's solid evidence that the 3080 is gimped for a card between the 3080 and 3090 later for those that wait.

games that crash on the 2080 ti due to not enough vram: RE3R with maxed out settings at 4k, BL3 when there are enough guns next to the safe, gtav with certain texture mods above 1080p.

games that actually maxes out vram but do not crash: flight sim, zero dawn, bfv on certain maps.

it's still pretty fringe but definitely not futureproofed. 

a 3080 for 700usd is a good deal, don't let the vram thing stop you, just know that it's cutting it close.

9900k 1.36v max 1.3v avx 5.2ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w