Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm thinking about picking up a mirrorless camera in around the $1000ish range, preferably with a full frame sensor. Initially I was looking at picking up the Canon RP with the RF 24-105mm STM lens. I saw that the Sony Alpha A7 ii is going for a pretty good price right now too, although I'm not sure what lens I would pick up to go with it.

The main reason I'm looking for advice, I'm more familiar with Canon but I feel like Sony's in body sensor stabilization might give it an advantage over the RP.

What are you thoughts? Are there any others I've overlooked?

what are you shooting most? video, portraits, high speed action, wildlife, landscapes or just general walking around?

is there a reason to go with full frame over aps-c or just a preference? what camera are you coming from? what features do you like most about your current setup or are you more interested in things like in body stabilization, eye auto focus, focus peeking, 2 dials vs 1 dial, flip screen, touch screen?

Current Config:

Spoiler

R5 2600X @4.1ghz all core, 16GB Patriot 3200mhz, 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro nvme, RTX 2070 Duke, CM Elite 110 mitx, pair of KRK Rokit 6 monitors with 10in sub, BenQ TH671ST projector for 150" screen. 

MSI Prestige 14 with too many cooling mods to list out (it's quiet now)

Probably mostly portraits/landscapes/walking around. No real interest in video, if it does it cool. No real interest in sports/high speed stuff. My main reason for targeting a full frame is it seems like it would have better low light performance because of the larger sensor. Currently using a T6i.

The main reason I brought up in body stabilization is it seems like it would get you a better shot, at least on paper. I'm not sure how great it really is in comparison to in lens or in body + in lens. In general I'm not as familair with Sony lenses so that's why I'm less comfortable with it. I could learn if I needed to. I don't need a flip screen although touch screen is preferred. Focus peeking would be cool.

used A7RII or A7III

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

used A7RII or A7III

Might be a dumb question but where is a good place to get them used? Is it just an eBay kind of thing or is there something better out there? The (used) A7RII looks pretty appealing in comparison to the RF for about the same price.

If I go with a Sony, what do you recommend for a standard zoom lens? Something like the Sony FE 28-70mm f3.5-f5.6 OSS?

3 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

Might be a dumb question but where is a good place to get them used? Is it just an eBay kind of thing or is there something better out there? The (used) A7RII looks pretty appealing in comparison to the RF for about the same price.

If I go with a Sony, what do you recommend for a standard zoom lens? Something like the Sony FE 28-70mm f3.5-f5.6 OSS?

lens authority, B&H, sharegrid, adoramba

24-70 F4 used should be around 5-600$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

lens authority, B&H, sharegrid, adoramba

24-70 F4 used should be around 5-600$

I take it the main difference between the A7RII and the A7III are the sensors, which gives the A7RII an advantage for being able to crop/etc?

4 minutes ago, Warhead12 said:

I take it the main difference between the A7RII and the A7III are the sensors, which gives the A7RII an advantage for being able to crop/etc?

get the A7III over the RII

29 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

get the A7III over the RII

Seconded. The battery life and the autofocus on the A7III will be so much better than on the A7RII.

Looks like the A7III is hanging north of $1,600 used which is definitely getting beyond my budget. I should probably ask since it's not that easy for me to find... what is the capability of these being controlled by a phone app? Just basic features like focusing/snapping a picture would really all I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, Warhead12 said:

Looks like the A7III is hanging north of $1,600 used which is definitely getting beyond my budget. I should probably ask since it's not that easy for me to find... what is the capability of these being controlled by a phone app? Just basic features like focusing/snapping a picture would really all I'm looking for.

Can I ask why you want full frame? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

16 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Can I ask why you want full frame? 

Mostly the low light performance.

5 minutes ago, Warhead12 said:

Mostly the low light performance.

Fair enough but is there a ton of difference between a good APSC and a full frame? Especially if you cut a few MP out of the APSC to compensate?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Fair enough but is there a ton of difference between a good APSC and a full frame? Especially if you cut a few MP out of the APSC to compensate?

I'm not sure I'd have to research it. I figured the sensor size and pixel size play a big part into that and since an APSC sensor is roughly half the size that hurts it a lot. I recall reading that sensor to noise ratio is much higher on the smaller sensors.

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not convinced that the RP wouldn't be a bad pick even though it doesn't have sensor shift.

If you are familiar with Canon cameras, I would stick with Canon. Sony's cameras, while being technically advanced, have a much higher learning curve because their user interface isn't as refined as Canon.

The EOS RP is a very good budget full frame mirrorless; not many mirrorless cameras can hit it's price point and do a decent job, short of older models.

If you can, try to stretch for a used or refurbished EOS R; it's the next step up from the RP, and while it is getting long in the tooth, it's a very competent camera.

6 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not.

AFAIK, the A7II can be smartphone controlled. I haven't played with it much, but I recall it working when I did try it.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 5 1600X | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

FreeNAS Server (Veda): Core i3-4170 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB SSD / 1x Kingston 16GB SSD | Corsair CX430M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta): Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Stock Cooler | 8GB No-name DDR3 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Syba USB3.1 Gen 2 Card | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | UMIS 256GB NVMe SSD | (all-around awesome machine)

Laptop (Rozen-ZuluSony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Tablet (---): Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (crosses fingers)
Tablet (ReGZ)Asus T102HA (BIOS clock doesn't tick, loses time when sleep/off) (I kill tablets with disturbing regularity)

Tablet (Unicorn)Surface Pro 2 (battery will reset total capacity to current charge, leading Windows to think it's always 100% charged until it dies)

Tablet (Loto)Dell Venue 8 Pro (screen discoloration issues, wouldn't update to Windows 10)

Tablet: iPad 2 16GB (WiFi died, basically useless after that)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

Camera: Sony ɑ7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

3 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

AFAIK, the A7II can be smartphone controlled. I haven't played with it much, but I recall it working when I did try it.

The things I was reading were quite old. I just saw one thing mention you couldn't focus it remotely, only trigger the shutter and adjust exposure.

21 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not convinced that the RP wouldn't be a bad pick even though it doesn't have sensor shift.

I'm actually not so sure about that anymore. I thought Sony completely ditched phone support? I know they had app support at one point, but they got rid of it, so I'm not sure if it would work even on an older body now.

1 hour ago, YellowJersey said:

I'm actually not so sure about that anymore. I thought Sony completely ditched phone support? I know they had app support at one point, but they got rid of it, so I'm not sure if it would work even on an older body now.

Yeah it looks like it's a very deprecated app. I think I'm leaning towards the A7 II regardless right now. Can be had for under $700 pretty easy. Seems like a good deal for a next step up.