Looking for DSLR advice

Warhead12

I'm thinking about picking up a mirrorless camera in around the $1000ish range, preferably with a full frame sensor. Initially I was looking at picking up the Canon RP with the RF 24-105mm STM lens. I saw that the Sony Alpha A7 ii is going for a pretty good price right now too, although I'm not sure what lens I would pick up to go with it.

The main reason I'm looking for advice, I'm more familiar with Canon but I feel like Sony's in body sensor stabilization might give it an advantage over the RP.

What are you thoughts? Are there any others I've overlooked?

what are you shooting most? video, portraits, high speed action, wildlife, landscapes or just general walking around?

is there a reason to go with full frame over aps-c or just a preference? what camera are you coming from? what features do you like most about your current setup or are you more interested in things like in body stabilization, eye auto focus, focus peeking, 2 dials vs 1 dial, flip screen, touch screen?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Probably mostly portraits/landscapes/walking around. No real interest in video, if it does it cool. No real interest in sports/high speed stuff. My main reason for targeting a full frame is it seems like it would have better low light performance because of the larger sensor. Currently using a T6i.

The main reason I brought up in body stabilization is it seems like it would get you a better shot, at least on paper. I'm not sure how great it really is in comparison to in lens or in body + in lens. In general I'm not as familair with Sony lenses so that's why I'm less comfortable with it. I could learn if I needed to. I don't need a flip screen although touch screen is preferred. Focus peeking would be cool.

used A7RII or A7III

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

used A7RII or A7III

Might be a dumb question but where is a good place to get them used? Is it just an eBay kind of thing or is there something better out there? The (used) A7RII looks pretty appealing in comparison to the RF for about the same price.

If I go with a Sony, what do you recommend for a standard zoom lens? Something like the Sony FE 28-70mm f3.5-f5.6 OSS?

3 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

Might be a dumb question but where is a good place to get them used? Is it just an eBay kind of thing or is there something better out there? The (used) A7RII looks pretty appealing in comparison to the RF for about the same price.

If I go with a Sony, what do you recommend for a standard zoom lens? Something like the Sony FE 28-70mm f3.5-f5.6 OSS?

lens authority, B&H, sharegrid, adoramba

24-70 F4 used should be around 5-600$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

lens authority, B&H, sharegrid, adoramba

24-70 F4 used should be around 5-600$

I take it the main difference between the A7RII and the A7III are the sensors, which gives the A7RII an advantage for being able to crop/etc?

4 minutes ago, Warhead12 said:

I take it the main difference between the A7RII and the A7III are the sensors, which gives the A7RII an advantage for being able to crop/etc?

get the A7III over the RII

29 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

get the A7III over the RII

Seconded. The battery life and the autofocus on the A7III will be so much better than on the A7RII.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Looks like the A7III is hanging north of $1,600 used which is definitely getting beyond my budget. I should probably ask since it's not that easy for me to find... what is the capability of these being controlled by a phone app? Just basic features like focusing/snapping a picture would really all I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, Warhead12 said:

Looks like the A7III is hanging north of $1,600 used which is definitely getting beyond my budget. I should probably ask since it's not that easy for me to find... what is the capability of these being controlled by a phone app? Just basic features like focusing/snapping a picture would really all I'm looking for.

Can I ask why you want full frame? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

16 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Can I ask why you want full frame? 

Mostly the low light performance.

5 minutes ago, Warhead12 said:

Mostly the low light performance.

Fair enough but is there a ton of difference between a good APSC and a full frame? Especially if you cut a few MP out of the APSC to compensate?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Fair enough but is there a ton of difference between a good APSC and a full frame? Especially if you cut a few MP out of the APSC to compensate?

I'm not sure I'd have to research it. I figured the sensor size and pixel size play a big part into that and since an APSC sensor is roughly half the size that hurts it a lot. I recall reading that sensor to noise ratio is much higher on the smaller sensors.

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not convinced that the RP wouldn't be a bad pick even though it doesn't have sensor shift.

If you are familiar with Canon cameras, I would stick with Canon. Sony's cameras, while being technically advanced, have a much higher learning curve because their user interface isn't as refined as Canon.

The EOS RP is a very good budget full frame mirrorless; not many mirrorless cameras can hit it's price point and do a decent job, short of older models.

If you can, try to stretch for a used or refurbished EOS R; it's the next step up from the RP, and while it is getting long in the tooth, it's a very competent camera.

6 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not.

AFAIK, the A7II can be smartphone controlled. I haven't played with it much, but I recall it working when I did try it.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

3 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

AFAIK, the A7II can be smartphone controlled. I haven't played with it much, but I recall it working when I did try it.

The things I was reading were quite old. I just saw one thing mention you couldn't focus it remotely, only trigger the shutter and adjust exposure.

21 hours ago, Warhead12 said:

To me, it looks like the only the A7Rii offers smartphone control and the A7ii does not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not convinced that the RP wouldn't be a bad pick even though it doesn't have sensor shift.

I'm actually not so sure about that anymore. I thought Sony completely ditched phone support? I know they had app support at one point, but they got rid of it, so I'm not sure if it would work even on an older body now.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

1 hour ago, YellowJersey said:

I'm actually not so sure about that anymore. I thought Sony completely ditched phone support? I know they had app support at one point, but they got rid of it, so I'm not sure if it would work even on an older body now.

Yeah it looks like it's a very deprecated app. I think I'm leaning towards the A7 II regardless right now. Can be had for under $700 pretty easy. Seems like a good deal for a next step up.