Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bottleneck with a 3080?

I currently have a ryzen 7 2700x and a RTX 2070 super was considering upgrading to a RTX 3080 when they come back in stock and was wondering if im going to have to worry about any bottlenecking?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends entirely on the games and performance target

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B


Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.


Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)


How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really depends on games. The Witcher 3? Probably not. CS:GO? Probably. Either way, if your FPS is exceeding the max of your display, there isn't much to worry about.

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

Also resolution! 

My current display a a 2140x1440 144hz monitor

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is less bottlenecking at 1440p since most games at that resolution are more GPU-bound. The 3080 will also offer you an improvement in many upcoming AAA games over the 2070 super. I have a 2070 super as well and, at 1080p, I don't think the 3080 will change my experience by much since I am CPU bound. That said, I know that future games, especially those with ray tracing, will benefit from a 3080 even at 1080p. Flight Sim 2020, for example, is very GPU bound.

Check out 


R5 2600x - 2070S - X570 - H210




I should still be writing papers...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now