Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a malfunctioning 1080ti, can I "fix" it?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
16 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Idk what to try honestly. The only thing I could think of was underclocking it as far as afterburner would let me. No change.

Did you lower VRAM-clocks or only the GPU-clocks? These kinds of issues are very often the VRAM being bad and reducing GPU-clocks won't do jack shit.

First let me get this out of the way, it's definitely the card. It exhibits the same behavior no matter what system I put it in. It's the only variable that changes, and no matter where it goes the problems follow it. Now for the issue: In SOME games, this card will malfunction and cause the game to crash. The error the game reports is almost always the same, D3D device lost. So the software stops "seeing" the card temporarily. What's weird is when and how it occurs. For example in Deep Rock Galactic I will NEVER crash during a match, but I've got maybe 30-60s of playtime in the lobby to get a game going before I crash. I never crash in Outward, and several other games for that matter, while other games have seemingly random crashes. Aside from the crashes the card's performance is as expected.

Here is my goal: Keep this thing alive for a couple more months when I will hopefully have acquired a Zen 3 Ryzen chip, and an RTX 3080. Is there anyway I can trick software/drivers to ignore a D3D device lost error for a few seconds until it (probably) recovers? Is there anything I can do to the card itself? I realize I'm reaching here, REALLY reaching, but I just want this card to survive a little bit longer.

Oh, and also NO the manufacturer won't RMA it, or let me pay them to repair it.

What have you tried to do so far?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

What have you tried to do so far?

Idk what to try honestly. The only thing I could think of was underclocking it as far as afterburner would let me. No change.

Oh, I just remembered this appears to effect the desktop experience as well, to a degree. There are occasional brief freezes/hitching while doing just normal desktop stuff, browsing, managing files, etc. It's rare, but does still seem to follow the card between systems. It's brief and the system recovers. I just want games to do the same thing. I'd rather have a brief freeze/hitch than a crash, but I'm guessing getting software to do that requires some clever tricks that aren't particularly easy.

1 minute ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

did you ch eck temps? maybe it needs new thermal paste

All performance metrics are as expected aside from the crashes, this includes temps.

Try lowering PCIe speed?

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

1 minute ago, porina said:

Try lowering PCIe speed?

I'll have to google that. I'll assume that's done in the BIOS somewhere.

16 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Did you lower VRAM-clocks or only the GPU-clocks? These kinds of issues are very often the VRAM being bad and reducing GPU-clocks won't do jack shit.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Might be a dumb suggestion but have you tried not using whatever software came with it.

You could try a older driver if you haven't already.

How is the temperature doing?

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I'm pretty sure I did both the core and memory clock, but I'll do it again and test in a game that's consistently crashing on me, because it has been awhile since I tried that. Afterburner lets me go to  -502MHz. I'll do that for a bit and report back.

15 minutes ago, Drexl said:

I'll have to google that. I'll assume that's done in the BIOS somewhere.

Yup. I don't actually have high hopes but it sounds like you've already tried everything else I would.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

The main thing you see on your card is your GPU die temperature. If I'm not mistaken, it does not show you any other Temps. It might be worth taking the card apart (since no warranty anymore), and just reapplying thermal paste and thermal pads to everything.

It could be VRAM/chokes/mosfets not being cooled properly. 

I HIGHLY recommend doing this, as you might find the actual problem if not this. 

59 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

52 minutes ago, Drexl said:

I'm pretty sure I did both the core and memory clock, but I'll do it again and test in a game that's consistently crashing on me, because it has been awhile since I tried that. Afterburner lets me go to  -502MHz. I'll do that for a bit and report back.

So, I just played an area of Remnant: From the Ashes that was crashing for me consistently (I gave up after like 5 crashes at the same spot), and lowering the memory clock DID in fact "fix" the issue, at least for the 20m that I tested it. No crashes in that time. I'm still certain I lowered the memory clocks last time I tried this, but it's working now so I'll be grateful and hope it continues to behave for a couple more months.

42 minutes ago, JakeSublime said:

The main thing you see on your card is your GPU die temperature. If I'm not mistaken, it does not show you any other Temps. It might be worth taking the card apart (since no warranty anymore), and just reapplying thermal paste and thermal pads to everything.

It could be VRAM/chokes/mosfets not being cooled properly. 

I HIGHLY recommend doing this, as you might find the actual problem if not this. 

See above, but if the problem persists, I'll definitely do this. It's not like I have anything to lose, and I did revive my old 8800GTX this way back in the day.

Thanks for all the help everyone! ^_^

Glad to hear its working! 

Just know, even if underclocked, things could be running at borderline thermal cutout, which reduces life. I suggest rebuilding that card ASAP. 

But to each his own. GOOD LUCK!!