This Sketchy AliExpress Cooler....

AlexTheGreatish

Do you want better thermals on your laptop? Well one AliExpress seller has a water cooling kit to solve that very issue - so let's put it on the Alienware Area 51m.

Buy Alienware Area 51m

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/dEv2V8

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/pBWhc

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I'm sure the performance could be way better by eliminating the air cooling part including the fans and incorporating a water pump on its place, focusing on just water cooling with bigger tubes and better water flow... you would only need a radiator with the fittings and a fan. (That could be controlled from the original fan motherboard connectors AND included for the price)

I'm also sure the water didn't run over the chips and ran through the plate itself.

Given the thermal differences of about 20C compared to stock vs mod I am pretty sure that something else is at play here for the marginally better or worse performance. 

Maybe the alienware mobo is tuned with a specific thermal budget in mind and doesnt boost the CPU/GPU more than said budget could afford (by hardcoding max values) 

You should try to tune/bypass the bios first to be sure...

Ok I understand that moding the bios would be hard for average guys but at least you should have tried something like  the Intel extreme tuning utility and check if the system "obeys" your settings in that program or if there are grayed out parts or parts that you set to be at a value but this value doesnt hold when actually operating the laptop. 

That would be an indication that the mobo is tuned in a specific way that hinders you from taking advantage of your water cooling solution. 

2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Do you want better thermals on your laptop? Well one AliExpress seller has a water cooling kit to solve that very issue - so let's put it on the Alienware Area 51m.

Can you guys do something about the sex comment bots that keep clogging-up the top YouTube comments? There seems to be a dozen of them and the comments pop-up again even after reporting them.

Edited by Results45
Hey YouTube AI, we have a new job for you.

Just now, Results45 said:

Can you guys do something about the sex comment bots that keep clogging-up the top YouTube comments? There seems to be a dozen of them and the comments pop-up again even after reporting them.

I've removed so many and banned like 20 users but they just keep coming.

3 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Dang 😮

Any progress from the folks at YouTube? Like a major comment moderation algorithm tweak?

I never understood comment moderation... it's freedom of speech if you dont like a comment dont read it it's that simple... the comment cant go outside your monitor and slap you in the face or something lol... 

It's actually a quite popular watercooling plan at the moment in China. Most people doing this were sending off their laptop to the vendor and have them install/mod the whole thing, it's not exactly a good idea to DIY/implement with no specific experience with vendor's own watercooling design, many things could go wrong.

The idea behind watercooling a laptop is mainly due to limited space in dormitory in Universities in China, kids just can't have a proper desktop rig to game on, while it's also true that having the mobility of a laptop is much needed for school. Hence besides the heatsink mod, there is also a special designed watercooling block to company the heatsink, which can suck out all cooling fluid from the heatsink when turning off/unplug. This way kids can just leave the watercooling block on their desk in dorm and take away their laptop, and plug back in when they are ready to game.

An example of the mentioned watercooling block can be seen here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.28.2e17130ahxBsJE&id=607441657224&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

I have also seen other cooler designs (no pun intended) of the watercooling block, there is one looks mostly identical to the VX gas in movie The Rock (1996) with green fluid.

So...Alex you should do some homework or ask Dennis/Andy to check Taobao first should you have anything weird from AliExpress next time 🙂

Perhaps the reason why the game didn't get significantly better FPS when water cooled despite some CPU throttling, is because the CPU was not the bottleneck.

GPU temperature wasn't high enough to throttle with air cooling so that would not have been affected.

Might have been beneficial to run prime 95 or another CPU cruncher to compare between stock air cooling and this.