Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want to make a startup script for my servers running arch linux

10 hours ago, Lemon797 said:

Yes I did that.

Then I am not sure. I don't personally use lightdm or autologin.

You could check journalctl and the status of lightdm in another tty session, see if it spits out any errors anywhere.

24 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

You could check journalctl and the status of lightdm in another tty session, see if it spits out any errors anywhere.

Ok. Will do. 
is there any other login manager that you would suggest I use?

20 minutes ago, Lemon797 said:

Ok. Will do. 
is there any other login manager that you would suggest I use?

I use sddm on my desktop, but only because it comes with the plasma-meta package and KDE has a built in module for configuring it.

There is however a QT GUI available to help configure it, https://github.com/lxqt/sddm-config-editor, which is available in the AUR. I have never used it however.

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

I use sddm on my desktop, but only because it comes with the plasma-meta package and KDE has a built in module for configuring it.

There is however a QT GUI available to help configure it, https://github.com/lxqt/sddm-config-editor, which is available in the AUR. I have never used it however.

ok I will look in to this.

5 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

When I run

journalctl -b -u lightdm

I get

Sep 21 17:20:01 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Sep 21 17:20:01 archlinux lightdm[347]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freed>
Sep 21 17:20:01 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Sep 21 17:20:07 Game-Server-3 lightdm[374]: pam_succeed_if(lightdm-autologin:auth): requirement "user ingroup autologin" was met by user "liam"
Sep 21 17:20:07 Game-Server-3 lightdm[374]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.f>
Sep 21 17:20:07 Game-Server-3 lightdm[374]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm-autologin:account): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not fou>
Sep 21 17:20:07 Game-Server-3 lightdm[374]: pam_unix(lightdm-autologin:session): session opened for user liam(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
Sep 21 17:20:13 Game-Server-3 lightdm[408]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.f>
Sep 21 17:20:13 Game-Server-3 lightdm[408]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=972) by (uid=0)
Sep 21 17:21:22 Game-Server-3 lightdm[463]: pam_faillock(lightdm:auth): User unknown
Sep 21 17:22:18 Game-Server-3 lightdm[464]: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=  user=liam
Sep 21 17:22:18 Game-Server-3 lightdm[464]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm:auth): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.

Try

• pacman -Sy accountsservice
  • systemctl enable systemd-homed
  • reboot

Just now, Nayr438 said:

Try

• pacman -Sy accountsservice
  • systemctl enable systemd-homed
  • reboot

journalctl outputs this:

Sep 22 18:29:45 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Sep 22 18:29:49 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_succeed_if(lightdm-autologin:auth): requirement "user ingroup autologin" was met by user "liam"
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm-autologin:account): Not a user managed by systemd-homed: No home for user liam known
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_unix(lightdm-autologin:session): session opened for user liam(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
Sep 22 18:29:58 Game-Server-3 lightdm[431]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=972) by (uid=0)

3 hours ago, Lemon797 said:

journalctl outputs this:

Sep 22 18:29:45 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Sep 22 18:29:49 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_succeed_if(lightdm-autologin:auth): requirement "user ingroup autologin" was met by user "liam"
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm-autologin:account): Not a user managed by systemd-homed: No home for user liam known
Sep 22 18:29:52 Game-Server-3 lightdm[394]: pam_unix(lightdm-autologin:session): session opened for user liam(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
Sep 22 18:29:58 Game-Server-3 lightdm[431]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=972) by (uid=0)

looks like it want's the user to be managed by systemd-homed. This is a relatively new thing that I have seen mentioned lately, im not sure if its necessary or not for autologin.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-homed

Could always create a test user using homectl and see what happens.

20 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

looks like it want's the user to be managed by systemd-homed. This is a relatively new thing that I have seen mentioned lately, im not sure if its necessary or not for autologin.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-homed

Could always create a test user using homectl and see what happens.

How do I make it so that the user is managed by systemd-homed?

9 minutes ago, Lemon797 said:

How do I make it so that the user is managed by systemd-homed?

Make a new user as stated on the Wiki

• homectl create username

I am not sure if you can use a already made user or not, I haven't had to deal with systemd-homed yet.

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

Make a new user as stated on the Wiki

• homectl create username

I am not sure if you can use a already made user or not, I haven't had to deal with systemd-homed yet.

why is it that lightdm wants a systemd-homed user?

1 hour ago, Lemon797 said:

why is it that lightdm wants a systemd-homed user?

I can't answer that as I don't know. like I said previously, I have no idea if its needed or not. It's just what lightdm was complaining about. I don't use lightdm or utilize autologin.

Personally I am in the process of moving all our systems to Fedora, so I probably won't be messing with anything like that for awhile.

All I know is the following based on your previous posts.

• Without systemd-homed, lightdm fails authentication and complains that it can't find systemd-homed
  • With systemd-homed, lightdm appears to pass authentication, but complains that it can't find /home due to the user not being managed by systemd-homed

@Sauronseems to be fairly knowledgeable in the Linux section, maybe they know something.

You also have to remember, your on Arch. Anything can change at any time and the Wiki may take a bit to reflect that, as it's maintained by the community. systemd-homed is still relatively new, with the pam configuration being merged into the pambase package in June. When changes like this happen, you need to be able to diagnose issues on your own system and take the needed actions. I am offering advice on the assumption you are following the wiki step by step, correctly configuring everything, and based on known issues you have made available.

From the sounds of it however, you may be better off with a more preconfigured distribution such as Ubuntu.

11 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I can't answer that as I don't know. like I said previously, I have no idea if its needed or not. It's just what lightdm was complaining about. I don't use lightdm or utilize autologin.

Personally I am in the process of moving all our systems to Fedora, so I probably won't be messing with anything like that for awhile.

All I know is the following based on your previous posts.

• Without systemd-homed, lightdm fails authentication and complains that it can't find systemd-homed
  • With systemd-homed, lightdm appears to pass authentication, but complains that it can't find /home due to the user not being managed by systemd-homed

@Sauronseems to be fairly knowledgeable in the Linux section, maybe they know something.

You also have to remember, your on Arch. Anything can change at any time and the Wiki may take a bit to reflect that, as it's maintained by the community. systemd-homed is still relatively new, with the pam configuration being merged into the pambase package in June. When changes like this happen, you need to be able to diagnose issues on your own system and take the needed actions. I am offering advice on the assumption you are following the wiki step by step, correctly configuring everything, and based on known issues you have made available.

From the sounds of it however, you may be better off with a more preconfigured distribution such as Ubuntu.

ok. About using Ubuntu, I like the challenge of arch and it uses so much less ram then any other distro i've used.