Inconsistant crashing for months, full freezing now.

Splashboy3

Hey all-

So the PC I built 3 years ago has been great, but the last year or so there’s been annoying inconsistencies that have been happening every so often, for instance the most commonly occurring issue— my PC just freezes upon booting(when I get to desktop) or will just give me blue screen. This is PARTICULARLY infuriating because its almost never the same issue, it’s a myriad- but they all cause my PC to bluescreen or boot, and then freeze.

Issue 1: (the most common) It’ll boot, type in my password, and as soon as I get to desktop, my mouse will freeze and the keyboard will lock up. Nothing. Sometimes this will happen after about 5-10 mins of use. On occasion, the power button on my case will not even let it turn off, and I have to hard reset via the power supply switch.

Issue 2: (this has happened more than a few times, but much less often) it’ll boot fine, i’ll be doing my thing, and the screens will go black. My pc lights and fans will still be running, but as stated in issue 1, the power button on the case itself will be locked up as well and I have to hit the power supply switch to hard reset. 

I took it to a local repair shop and he claimed there was “nothing wrong with it”.

Really sick and tired of this, it was a first build so I really have no idea if it’s a hardware or software issue. Beyond infuriated at this point. Going to build a new system in the semi-near future anyway, but this system shouldn’t be shitting the bed at year 3.

Any idea on the problem here?

Edit: current BIOS pics if they help:

https://i.imgur.com/8LqROyc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wLLcJf2.jpg
https://imgur.com/gallery/E8IFI04

Edit 2: reseated ram, tried one stick, nothing. Still the same issue, freezing upon getting to desktop, tried changing cpu voltage to 1.34 and going to like 3.8ghz, this does not seem to affect anything or be the core issue. Though im still stuck if it's a hardware or software issue. NOTE: even before I had used the ASUS tuning bios wizard to have it run stable @ 4.0ghz at 1.43v about 2 months ago, i'd still occasionally have both monitors go black randomly, see issue 2 above^

Try a different power supply and see if fixes your issues. The system locking up would point to a bad drive but given your power button issue, I'd look at the power supply first. 

6 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Try a different power supply and see if fixes your issues. The system locking up would point to a bad drive but given your power button issue, I'd look at the power supply first. 

Would need to go buy one as I only have the one...would that explain the freezing though? 

The system boots extremely fast and the boot drive is a samsung 960 nVME, I would hate to believe thats the failure point. So frustrating not knowing which component is causing this. It also blue screens about 4/10 times, the other 6/10 being boots, but then freezes when i start to move mouse on desktop. 

Could be a bad HDD if you have one in the system. Maybe you have more than one issue. The bad HDD would not explain the shutdown issue.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Could be a bad HDD if you have one in the system. Maybe you have more than one issue. The bad HDD would not explain the shutdown issue.

I have a 3TB Seagate Barracude HDD in there, but it's merely used as a bulk storage drive and it shows up in the BIOS..I can't imagine that it's affecting anything, right? The freezing lockup/BSOD is the main issue

Just now, Applefreak said:

You know of anyone who could lend you a PSU for a day?

Unfortunately not really :( 

21 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

reseated ram, tried one stick, nothing. Still the same issue, freezing upon getting to desktop, tried changing cpu voltage to 1.34 and going to like 3.8ghz, this does not seem to affect anything or be the core issue. Though im still stuck if it's a hardware or software issue.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS? Just bridge the two pins together with a flathead screw driver. What Mobo do you have?

2 minutes ago, poorkidbuild said:

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS? Just bridge the two pins together with a flathead screw driver. What Mobo do you have?

How does one do that? is resetting the cmos just taking out that tiny circular battery in the mobo?

I have the Asus X370 Prime Pro

2 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

How does one do that? is resetting the cmos just taking out that tiny battery in the mobo?

Not sure if this is correct, I'll keep looking.

f86e4f0d-55a1-4b02-b822-df8318c3e454.jpg

1 minute ago, poorkidbuild said:

Not sure if this is correct, I'll keep looking.

f86e4f0d-55a1-4b02-b822-df8318c3e454.jpg

Check to see if you have this button ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

How does one do that? is resetting the cmos just taking out that tiny circular battery in the mobo?

You can also do that as well. I found it easier to do it my way which was bridging the pins together. It appears you have a button that resets it, however. This just erases your bios customizations, so if you don't want to forget them, write them down.

Just now, poorkidbuild said:

Check to see if you have this button ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think so. 

5 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

I don't think so. 

Post something asking about it, there are tons of people who read manuals for fun and will find it for you and what exactly you can do in order to reset it. I can't pay attention for more than 3 minutes so I'm a lost cause.

9 minutes ago, poorkidbuild said:

You can also do that as well. I found it easier to do it my way which was bridging the pins together. It appears you have a button that resets it, however. This just erases your bios customizations, so if you don't want to forget them, write them down.

I really don't see a pressable button/a circular pin like that schematic- but I removed the CMOS battery and plopped it back in- went into BIOS again, it didn't look like much had changed- booted and got the BSOD again. 

1 minute ago, Splashboy3 said:

I really don't see a pressable button/a circular pin like that schematic- but I removed the CMOS battery and plopped it back in- went into BIOS again, it didn't look like much had changed- booted and got the BSOD again. 

Shoot man I really don't know. You could try rebuilding it, but as you said you're building a new system soon. What do you plan on doing with the old system?

5 minutes ago, poorkidbuild said:

Shoot man I really don't know. You could try rebuilding it, but as you said you're building a new system soon. What do you plan on doing with the old system?

So frustrating, dude, been wanting to KMS since a year ago since this started happening and no one has been able to help online due to the issue being so inconsistant. 

The only part I was gonna keep for the new system would be my 1080TI, im hesitant to sell anything since I don't know what goddamn component (if any) is dead. 

help me, linus

2 minutes ago, Splashboy3 said:

So frustrating, dude, been wanting to KMS since a year ago since this started happening and no one has been able to help online due to the issue being so inconsistant. 

The only part I was gonna keep for the new system would be my 1080TI, im hesitant to sell anything since I don't know what goddamn component (if any) is dead. 

I'm not the most tech savvy, but sounds a lot like your Mobo is shorting out. The whole power button thing is what is making me believe that. It sounds like your CPU and RAM is fine, could very likely be your Mobo. 

Just now, poorkidbuild said:

I'm not the most tech savvy, but sounds a lot like your Mobo is shorting out. The whole power button thing is what is making me believe that. It sounds like your CPU and RAM is fine, could very likely be your Mobo. 

I really wouldn't doubt it. I don't know enough about the individual components relating to my very specific issue enough to narrow it down. I live in boston so I was thinking about taking it to the cambridge microcenter. It could very well be the mobo.

sigh

3 hours ago, Splashboy3 said:

Hey all-

So the PC I built 3 years ago has been great, but the last year or so there’s been annoying inconsistencies that have been happening every so often, for instance the most commonly occurring issue— my PC just freezes upon booting(when I get to desktop) or will just give me blue screen. This is PARTICULARLY infuriating because its almost never the same issue, it’s a myriad- but they all cause my PC to bluescreen or boot, but then freeze upon moving mouse around on the desktop.

Issue 1: (the most common) It’ll boot, type in my password, and as soon as I get to desktop, my mouse will freeze and the keyboard will lock up. Nothing. Sometimes this will happen after about 5-10 mins of use. On occasion, the power button on my case will not even let it turn off, and I have to hard reset via the power supply switch.

Issue 2: (this has happened more than a few times, but much less often) it’ll boot fine, i’ll be doing my thing, and the screens will go black. My pc lights and fans will still be running, but as stated in issue 1, the power button on the case itself will be locked up as well and I have to hit the power supply switch to hard reset. 

I took it to a local repair shop and he claimed there was “nothing wrong with it”.

Really sick and tired of this, it was a first build so I really have no idea if it’s a hardware or software issue. Beyond infuriated at this point. Going to build a new system in the semi-near future anyway, but this system shouldn’t be shitting the bed at year 3.

Edit 2: reseated ram, tried one stick, nothing. Still the same issue, freezing upon getting to desktop, tried changing cpu voltage to 1.34 and going to like 3.8ghz, this does not seem to affect anything or be the core issue. Though im still stuck if it's a hardware or software issue. NOTE: even before I had used the ASUS tuning bios wizard to have it run stable @ 4.0ghz at 1.43v about 2 months ago, i'd still occasionally have both monitors go black randomly, see issue 2 above^

Edit 3: When it does boot to the login screen, when I hover over the power button and click, it prompts me to "update and restart" but i've done that twice and each time it's still had the update & restart option there so it's clearly not reaching the update server even though I have my ethernet plugged in, not sure if this helps diagnose anything. 

4 hours ago, Splashboy3 said:

Hey all-

So the PC I built 3 years ago has been great, but the last year or so there’s been annoying inconsistencies that have been happening every so often, for instance the most commonly occurring issue— my PC just freezes upon booting(when I get to desktop) or will just give me blue screen. This is PARTICULARLY infuriating because its almost never the same issue, it’s a myriad- but they all cause my PC to bluescreen or boot, and then freeze.

Have you tried just running tests without your GPU? If you have iGPU, try running that. I had problems where a dying Vega 64 caused multiple screen blackouts, random shut downs that locks up the power button and needs to be hard-reset every time.

Side note, if you need a secondary PSU to test with, if your local stores have a return policy where they accept open returns that's not defective, you could always go buy a new mid-range PSU and test with it. If that solves your problem, keep it. If not, you could always return it. 

2 hours ago, colmanhymx said:

Have you tried just running tests without your GPU? If you have iGPU, try running that. I had problems where a dying Vega 64 caused multiple screen blackouts, random shut downs that locks up the power button and needs to be hard-reset every time.

Side note, if you need a secondary PSU to test with, if your local stores have a return policy where they accept open returns that's not defective, you could always go buy a new mid-range PSU and test with it. If that solves your problem, keep it. If not, you could always return it. 

hm. that really sounds like my issue, tbh. Unfortunately Ryzen 1800X doesnt have integrated graphics :((( 

1 hour ago, Splashboy3 said:

hm. that really sounds like my issue, tbh. Unfortunately Ryzen 1800X doesnt have integrated graphics :((( 

That's my case as well. I'm running a 3700X so also no iGPU. Is there an old GPU you can test with? I borrowed a old GTX460 just to test if it was the GPU acting weird. 

Went full mad-lad, y'lall. Fresh install of windows, nuked everything except for my personal files. Cautiously optimistic as it seems to be fine now. Hoping it was something software related! Cleanse feels good. Appreciate y'alls help!