High idle temps on GTX 1070

Hi, i have been noticing that my GPU is idling at 51°C @961mhz (Fans running at 61% and even on 100% fan speed temperature stays the same. Removing the side panel reduces 2°C-3°C) I think this is a bit higher than what it should be? Even in 99% load, it stays at 75°C-77°C. I changed the thermal paste on it almost a month ago and immedielty after, i noticed a 7°C drop in temperature. Instead of the dot method, I spread the thermal paste on the GPU. Can that effect the contact between the heatsink and the GPU dye? Now it's back to what it used to be. It's 35°C in day time where i live and 25°C at night but my GPU stays at 51°C in daytime and 47°C-48°C at night time. I'm thinking of re-applying the thermal paste and cleaning the heatsink and using an airblower on my card to clean it. Any help will be appericiated.

Edit: I changed my power profile from HIGH PERFORMANCE to Balanced in windows and also in Nvidea Control Panel (Changed from Prefer Maximum Performance to Adaptive). This did not help with the temperatrures. 

Edit (2): My card didn't idle at 961mhz before. It used to be at 300mhz-400mhz. Shall i try software trouble shooting (DDU, installing older drivers etc)?

Edit (3): I use 2 monitors. One is a simple Dell 1920x1080p 60hz monitor (secondary) and an AOC 24G2 1920x1080 144hz (primary). Turning off my secondary monitor reduced my temperature from 51°C to 45°C in a 10 seconds.

PC Specs: Specs: i7-4790 cooled by Cooler Master MA410p, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Gaming X GTX 1070, 240GB GIGABYTE SSD (boot), 2TB WD Blue HDD (Games), CORSAIR HX620 PSU.

spreading the paste on a gpu die is optimal as you want full coverage of the die, unlike with a cpu ihs. as long as you do it such that there arent any trapped pockets of air it should be a fine application. what paste did you use? also unusual behavior to not drop to the lower power state as it should, DDU may be an option. "Adaptive" performance in the nvidia control panel should be the option that allows the gpu to utilize the lower power state but it could be weird drivers or a background program preventing that.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

spreading the paste on a gpu die is optimal as you want full coverage of the die, unlike with a cpu ihs. as long as you do it such that there arent any trapped pockets of air it should be a fine application. what paste did you use? also unusual behavior to not drop to the lower power state as it should, DDU may be an option. "Adaptive" performance in the nvidia control panel should be the option that allows the gpu to utilize the lower power state but it could be weird drivers or a background program preventing that.

My friend who was helping me when i was re-applying the thermal paste also said that it can't be the thermal paste. I used CoolerMaster MasterGel (The one that was included in my CPU cooler's box).