Ryzen 3950x temp spikes

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

That's normal behavior with Zen 2 CPUs.

The temp spikes you see are almost always only on just one or two cores that are being utilized for that moment when you open a new window or start a video, etc..., not the entire CPU. These temp spikes will happen even if you had a lot better cooler.

Hi it's me again im wondering if I should get a new cooler at this point. My CPU (which is a 3950x) while watching streams and being at idle will spike to 74c a lot. My room temp is I would say chilly. The thermal paste I use is like 2 years old and is call IC Diamond 7 Carat and is applied right and freshly with adequate pressure on the screws. I have a NHD 15s and I have only one fan in the middle of it. I have undervolted it by -.75. If anyone has some insight to what could help that would be great. Note that temps are fine when under a blender load maxing at 81c and while gaming like 66c 71c max.

The temp spikes you see are almost always only on just one or two cores that are being utilized for that moment when you open a new window or start a video, etc..., not the entire CPU. These temp spikes will happen even if you had a lot better cooler.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Ah okay dang so setting profile sets for different tasks is important then lmao. Do you have a 3950x?

Just now, Lordofcheez said:

Ah okay dang so setting profile sets for different tasks is important then lmao. Do you have a 3950x?

I have 3900X. I used to have Noctua NH-U12A as a cooler and I had to adjust the fan curve to be less aggressive so that the fans don't ramp up every time I open something because the temp spike would happen and the cooler would think that it immediately needs to ramp up the fans to keep up even thought there was no need.

Now I have the Liquid Freezer II 360 and the temp spikes still happen but I'm getting a lot less maximum temp at full load.

16 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

Hi it's me again im wondering if I should get a new cooler at this point. My CPU (which is a 3950x) while watching streams and being at idle will spike to 74c a lot. My room temp is I would say chilly. The thermal paste I use is like 2 years old and is call IC Diamond 7 Carat and is applied right and freshly with adequate pressure on the screws. I have a NHD 15s and I have only one fan in the middle of it. I have undervolted it by -.75. If anyone has some insight to what could help that would be great. Note that temps are fine when under a blender load maxing at 81c and while gaming like 66c 71c max.

i have temp spikes when i open something on a r5 3600 so i think its safe to say thats just normal

I've got a few 3950Xs, 3900s, and 3900XT and a 3970X.

They are have this consistent behavior.

Since Ryzen can't really report temps individually (per core), you get this kind of across the board reaction.

Use HWinfo64 to see more accurate temps per core. It's the best I have found so far.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

lol temps for my 3600 under a d15s are the same as yours, seems to just be how ryzen is. my mobo has a setting in bios to change the time period in which the fans step up or down in rpm in reaction to temperature changes, has helped keep my fans from winding up and down every 5 seconds

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

14 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Use HWinfo64 to see more accurate temps per core. It's the best I have found so far.

okay I will do that thanks for the info glad that my chip is running fine. So far the performance is amazing. I've been ryzen sense gen 1 and I've been happy with everyone. Gen 1 meaning zen 1 not early years.