MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX + Ryzen 5 3400G slow splash time and video issues

Hello Everyone,

this is my first post here: I hope I'll make my self clear and provide all the information needed in order to get some help.

This is my case: a week ago I bought this build. Now, why did I choose that particular MB among all the alternatives?

I needed a native vga output for my 19" 1280*1024 lcd screen in the first place, and I didn't want to rely on any HDMI-VGA or DVI-VGA adapter.

Secondly, I was flattered by the idea of some vrm coolers and, most importantly, 4 ram slots instead of two sounded good for better -and cheaper- future upgradability.

Putting all this together, and keeping in mind that I buy on Amzn Italy (which has may be a smaller range of alternatives compared to other markets or marketplaces) this seemed like a good choice to me. And I still think it is.

Only with some issues.

1. Fast startup disabled in order to correctly detect screen

During the first launches the display automatically switched to 800*600 px resolution, and if forced to its optimal settings 1280*1024 it went blank. Even with my little knowledge I thought it was a driver issue so I went on and installed the amd radeon software: not the latest one though (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1 Optional), but, as you can see from the page, the one provided by the auto-detect and install software (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL)).

After that, the resolution issue was gone and I could easily work at 1280*1024.. or so I thought..

When the computer was turned on in fact, the display went black at the MB's splash screen and turned off while the pc kept on with the boot: of course you couldn't see anything because the screen was blank so I had to reboot manually from the front panel switch.

Following the advice of some other forumers, I swtiched off the fast startup setting in W10 and this particular issue was gone: it always boots correctly now and the display is always detected.

I still don't understand the reason for this though..

spacer.png

Let's move on with the second issue now: the slow spash screen time.

I understand it's a quite common problem but I really don't like it on a new piece of hardware..

let me provide you with some high quality video footage while I write the second part of the story :)

https://imgur.com/a/ygjAjgq

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Are you running a fresh Windows install, or an older one initially used on a different platform?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

14 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Are you running a fresh Windows install, or an older one initially used on a different platform?

hi, thanks for the reply.

No, I didnt try any CMOS clear and windows was installed via usb key on a brand new untouched ssd.

The usb key was prepared with the official media creation tool from microsoft the day before the pc arrived, and of course I guess the SO was updated to the latest version

now, let me go on with the second part of the story: a fellow italian forumer suggested that I disabled all the boot options in the BOIS boot menu except for the first one, the windows boot manager of course.

In his idea this would reduce the splash time which, as you may have noticed from the clip, is approximately 15 seconds.

I did as he suggested but nothing changed: it always takes at least 15 seconds from the power up to the splash screen with the logo of the MB

spacer.png

spacer.png

now, the slow splash time may not be a serious issue for me: I could even accept it if it defines as a peculiarity -although upsetting- of the product.

The problem is: what will I do if the blank screen problem turns up again in the future?

I can still switch my Mb with a different one now, I could even switch to an Intel - based system if they perform better, but I need to make this decision as soon as possibile: I am spending time searching these issues instead of getting down to work..

I may also have made the wrong choice in terms of ram memory (I see that my particular model is not shown on the mb compatibility official page) but I don't think that's the real reason..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png