NZ Graphics Card prices

Gesus

In New Zealand the normal retail price  for a RTX 2080 was around NZ$1300 (US$880) before the RTX 3080 was announced.    The RTX 3080 by major NZ tech stores average is about NZ$1600 (UD$1080).     Both cards retail for NZ$1033 (US$699).   

Why the hell is this bullshit the case? 

Cuz logistics. It's a joke that Australians pay a lot more for stuff cuz they're so far away from everyone else

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Ouch. And I thought our ~$200 markup in Canada was bad. It does cost more to ship something to NZ, but I'd assume that's mostly just retailers taking advantage of the hype and exchange rate to overcharge because they know people will pay. MSRP is still just a suggestion, after all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

9 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Cuz logistics. It's a joke that Australians pay a lot more for stuff cuz they're so far away from everyone else

wdym, AMD makes their CPU in Malaysia

and yet it's sold higher than converted MSRP here at launch

this is retailers marking up prices if you ask me

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Import fees and taxes plus local support. If you want to pay US prices then buy from the US, get it shipped with insurance and see how much that'll cost. If you need to warranty your card then you will need to send it back with insurance at your own cost as well as wait weeks if not months to get it back. I'd gladly pay a bit more for local support.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, piratemonkey said:

Isn't Australia closer to where ASUS and MSI, etc would be making their cards than the US? 

Your prices have the tax rolled into them, don't they? That's 1/4 of it right there. Then there's logistics, possible duties, business taxes, overhead, etc. 

3 hours ago, bellabichon said:

Ouch. And I thought our ~$200 markup in Canada was bad. It does cost more to ship something to NZ, but I'd assume that's mostly just retailers taking advantage of the hype and exchange rate to overcharge because they know people will pay. MSRP is still just a suggestion, after all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It's not really a markup. Especially since none of the card prices in Canada are for the same Nvidia card. Prices generally follow the exchange rate. 

1 hour ago, Liquiditi said:

Isn't Australia closer to where ASUS and MSI, etc would be making their cards than the US? 

Doesn't matter. Shipping to the US is significantly cheaper because a lot more gets shipped there, thus there's more capacity. Lower capacity increases shipping costs. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, vong said:

Import fees and taxes plus local support. If you want to pay US prices then buy from the US, get it shipped with insurance and see how much that'll cost. If you need to warranty your card then you will need to send it back with insurance at your own cost as well as wait weeks if not months to get it back. I'd gladly pay a bit more for local support.

Assuming customs miss the package and not tax it...

For me in Europe, RTX 3080 at $699 -> $=€ -> 699€ -> 699€+22% VAT = 850€

Which is what they are selling at in general. Some are actually around 700€ which is surprising a bit. But it's ugly weird shaped Gigabyte Eagle...

The thing is, if I import something from US, I'm fairly certain customs will halt the package and then I have to pay 22% VAT + customs manipulation fees and delays shipment even further which often makes it more costly and foddly than just buying it in European shop that has done all this and has lower price coz they buy in bulk anyway.

And customs, at least in my country seems to track shipments to individuals and chances of them mising one are next to none as they always processed them for me. And if they by any chance did get past once, they never will after that point. Oh well.

Most 3080s in Australia look around $1300-1400, import and tax should be closer to $1200 here, honestly for what we get sometimes that's not too bad for a new product launch 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

3 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Most 3080s in Australia look around $1300-1400, import and tax should be closer to $1200 here, honestly for what we get sometimes that's not too bad for a new product launch 

As a kiwi I've definitely timed my Australian holidays with new GPU or console purchases - you can even get the GST refunded at the airport when you leave. :D

But you're right the gap definitely ain't what it used to be. I think we forget sometimes that the US prices don't include taxes, and the reality is NZ and Aus are relatively small markets far away. Now I'm living in Europe and once you convert the currencies and compare with back home, the difference is quite often negligible. I don't think RRP is as unequal as people make it out to be, rather it's the scalping.