Are these CPU temps too high on idle with AIO watercooler?

Hello everybody,

I have i7 10700KF and Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO.

Cooler is turned to max by default (1700 RMP) and while PC was on idle,temps are around 35-37C,while browsing on internet or doing usual light computer use they went to 45C.

I'm really worried that does temps are too high for idle with liquid cooler set on max.

I'm not sure what will temps be like while heavy gaming,or even OC and high gaming?

Could you tell me what temps should I realistically expect with that cooler set on max?

17 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

Hello everybody,

I have i7 10700KF and Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO.

Cooler is turned to max by default (1700 RMP) and while PC was on idle,temps are around 35-37C,while browsing on internet or doing usual light computer use they went to 45C.

I'm really worried that does temps are too high for idle with liquid cooler set on max.

I'm not sure what will temps be like while heavy gaming,or even OC and high gaming?

Could you tell me what temps should I realistically expect with that cooler set on max?

With a 100c limit, you have nothing to worry about! Not even close.

Try a full load test with Cinebench R20. What are the max temps recorded during this quick benchmark?

It also depends on the case airflow and cooler efficency but i would say you're pretty fine. As the man/woman before me said .... run Cinebench R20 maybe in a row 3-4 one after another and if you're around 80-85 don't worry in ideal enviorment you'll be not using all cores full load for more than a minute-two so your temp will constantly bounce between 60-80 especially while gaming.

When idling or low load, the CPU produces so little heat(in watt). Increasing fan speed most likely will have no effect on the CPU temperature. Thermal transfer from IHS to cool plate and ambient room temperature probably have more to do with it.

Dumping 20w of heat to a freakingly huge 360mm radiator. I bet even if you stop the fans(but keep the pump running). It will have little effect on the idle temp.

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try a full load test with Cinebench R20. What are the max temps recorded during this quick benchmark?

I'm currently updating Windows,but I'll run Cinebench R20 as soon as I can and get back with report.It's currently 2AM in my country,but I think I'll manage to run test in hour or two.If not,I'll run it first thing tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Kalinez said:

It also depends on the case airflow and cooler efficency but i would say you're pretty fine. As the man/woman before me said .... run Cinebench R20 maybe in a row 3-4 one after another and if you're around 80-85 don't worry in ideal enviorment you'll be not using all cores full load for more than a minute-two so your temp will constantly bounce between 60-80 especially while gaming.

Airflow on my case isn't the best,but it's decent.I'll run Cinebench and get back with results.

PS

One day if I decide to OC this CPU,could I expect good overclocking results if temps are like this while it's not overclocked?

11 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

I'm currently updating Windows,but I'll run Cinebench R20 as soon as I can and get back with report.It's currently 2AM in my country,but I think I'll manage to run test in hour or two.If not,I'll run it first thing tomorrow.

Airflow on my case isn't the best,but it's decent.I'll run Cinebench and get back with results.

PS

One day if I decide to OC this CPU,could I expect good overclocking results if temps are like this while it's not overclocked?

About that i can't give you propper answer since i'm not familiar with your CPU behaviour but you should be able to squeeze more of it just not sure if you need AIO liquid cooler or custom loop.

52 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

idle,temps are around 35-37C,

while browsing on internet or doing usual light computer use they went to 45C.

This is not an idle scenario and is considered a load.. so thats normal.
Idle temps,.. could be considered high, where in the Globe are you located? (location / climate temps)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

This is not an idle scenario and is considered a load.. so thats normal.
Idle temps,.. could be considered high, where in the Globe are you located? (location / climate temps)

I'm in Croatia,southeast Europe,temps are kinda low these days.

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

3 hours ago, Kalinez said:

Hi guys,

I tested CPU with Cinebench R20 for 5 times in row,I hit ''run'' again and again and it rendered the same image,I hope that's OK?

Max temperature was 84C HWmonitor.

Now I'm worried what will happen if I overclock it someday?

I expected lower temps to be honest,especially with water cooling.

If I somehow manage to OC it on 4,GHz or something like that and run some heavy games for couple of hours,I think it would fry.

I would probably got thermathrottle too,and I presume temps would go way above 95C.

Is there anything I can do to make it run cooler?

1 minute ago, Chris Redfield said:

Hi guys,

I tested CPU with Cinebench R20 for 5 times in row,I hit ''run'' again and again and it rendered the same image,I hope that's OK?

If I somehow manage to OC it on 4,GHz or something like that and run some heavy games for couple of hours,I think it would fry.

I would probably got thermathrottle too,and I presume temps would go way above 95C.

84c is a very acceptable temperature.

It's a 5ghz boosted chip. Why would you underclock it to 4ghz? 

It won't throttle till it hits 100c....

It's running pretty cool.

What was the sustain clock speed under a full load? 4.7ghz?

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

84c is a very acceptable temperature.

It's a 5ghz boosted chip. Why would you underclock it to 4ghz? 

It won't throttle till it hits 100c....

It's running pretty cool.

What was the sustain clock speed under a full load? 4.7ghz?

I would expect to have 84C when it's fully overclocked,

Oh,I just saw I wrote 4ghz,I meant 4,9ghz.

I would like to overclock it at 5,1ghz or even 5,3ghz if possible,but I highly doubt.I'll get even close to that frequency with this temps.

I thought 100c is deadline and it means it's pretty much fried.

When I overclock my old i5 4670K to 4,5ghz with air cooler,it didn't go over 78C under full load.

As for what was sustain clock speed under full load-I really don't know.I only watched temps.

I can do tests again,but I don't know where can I check that speed?

2 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

I would expect to have 84C when it's fully overclocked,

Oh,I just saw I wrote 4ghz,I meant 4,9ghz.

I would like to overclock it at 5,1ghz or even 5,3ghz if possible,but I highly doubt.I'll get even close to that frequency with this temps.

I thought 100c is deadline and it means it's pretty much fried.

When I overclock my old i5 4670K to 4,5ghz with air cooler,it didn't go over 78C under full load.

As for what was sustain clock speed under full load-I really don't know.I only watched temps.

I can do tests again,but I don't know where can I check that speed?

Nah 115c is thermtrip (cpu shuts down the board) It throttles first, if that doesn't work it touches 115c and boink shuts off. This is where you Hope the chip saves it'self. Seldom happens.

So 5ghz and up territory would require possibly a custom loop. I like staying under 90c personally with my Intel chip especially at an overclock.

A custom water loop wouldn't be a horrible idea for 5ghz club members. Nice full copper water block (This is important) and better radiator and pumps which make such a world of difference from using an AIO. 

You can use the application called Cpu-z. You can also open the program more than once to view all the tabs at the same time.

This program will also validate your overclocks. So this is your go to program for accuracy.

9 hours ago, Chris Redfield said:

Hi guys,

To be fair i 84c seems decent for the processor that you have. For what i know currently Intel is on the bit of the hot side on their CPU's so seems fine and as i said before ..... Games are not like synthetic benchmark and a recent processor as yours WONT be loaded at 100% all the time, so don't you worry, if gaming is what you're looking for - your CPU will be most likely between 60-75c

What cooler do you use, where is mounted and which sides tubes are facing. I would say you should check that video i'm linking now since if your cooling is mounted wrong way maybe ( i say maybe) not all of your cooling liquid is reaching the pump - hence some extra heat on the CPU, not to mention early AIO "retirement".

Propper AIO mount

51 minutes ago, Kalinez said:

To be fair i 84c seems decent for the processor that you have. For what i know currently Intel is on the bit of the hot side on their CPU's so seems fine and as i said before ..... Games are not like synthetic benchmark and a recent processor as yours WONT be loaded at 100% all the time, so don't you worry, if gaming is what you're looking for - your CPU will be most likely between 60-75c

What cooler do you use, where is mounted and which sides tubes are facing. I would say you should check that video i'm linking now since if your cooling is mounted wrong way maybe ( i say maybe) not all of your cooling liquid is reaching the pump - hence some extra heat on the CPU, not to mention early AIO "retirement".

Propper AIO mount

I use Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I watched video you linked and it is mounted wrong way.

I wanted to top mount it,but my case is too small,not to mention biggest problem and that is air intake.

My 3 front vents are blowing fresh air in and right behind them in the case is water cooler radiator that blows air out,so they blow to each other and most likely causing these temps.

I know it's not smartest idea,but it's the only way I manage to fit in cooler.

It looks like I'll have to buy new case.

To show you exactly how my setup looks like,open that video you linked and fast forward it to 18:07

That's is identical look of my PC (except for fan on top of the case).

I decided to buy new case.

I'm planning to buy similar case like the one I have right not,but this one is bigger and has mesh in front which means it has better cooling.

However,I'm not 100% sure will my AIO liquid cooler fit on top (top mount).

I'm also not sure if my MOBO will get in the way if I somehow manage to fit cooler on top.

If you could please take look at specs for MOBO,case,and cooler:

https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/signum-sg7v-evo-tg-argb/

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z490-TOMAHAWK/Specification

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/liquid-freezer-360-en-2/

When I look at cooler,radiator with fans is around 63mm thick.

Please tell me if this is good case for my components.

11 hours ago, Chris Redfield said:

yep, but it was an I5 with less cores, no hyperthreding, and a lower TDP, and others little differences like die/ihs thickness.

10th gen run hotter, and this cannot really be considered abnormal. you got 8 cores, hyperthreding, and far higher TDP.

and considering 10th gen is again a skylake refreshing... it's more hard to get power efficency.

14 hours ago, Chris Redfield said:

I decided to buy new case.

I'm planning to buy similar case like the one I have right not,but this one is bigger and has mesh in front which means it has better cooling.

However,I'm not 100% sure will my AIO liquid cooler fit on top (top mount).

I'm also not sure if my MOBO will get in the way if I somehow manage to fit cooler on top.

If you could please take look at specs for MOBO,case,and cooler:

The arctic Freezer II seems to be a good choice (many people report good delivery from it) but not sure if 360 or 280. I'm building a new PC for a friend and we got 280 because of the fan size and have in mind that if you do chose that option too - you might not be able to put another fan to that AIO even if the fan is 120x120 which is kinda anoying but it all depends on the case. Case seems fine.

Beware! I would recommend not to start new build now since the prices are not exactly stable due to shortage of components in certain areasa (half of the PSU's i'd like to buy are on shortage, RAM could be a problem too) and most important - there are still presentation to be made and with launch of Nvidia 3000 series seems that intel is selling obsolete motherboards since there is a chance for top (3090 maybe) Nvidia cards to saturate the PCIE-3 in some applications and even if it's minor chance here and there - you're getting this feeling that you're limited by a brand new motherboard made in 2020. Wait for intel new motherboards which i believe will suport PCI-E gen-4 so if you decide to go heavy load - your mobo will suport it. I know most will say you don't need PCI-e 4.0 but, you don't need to pay top dollar for motherboard that don't have it when others do since 2019, so .......... wait few months and than maybe upgrade? Till then - you're fine with your CPU :)