ROG Rig Reboot 2020 is HERE!

CPotter
10 minutes ago, rushboarduk said:

I am more than a little disappointed the rest of the world was excluded - I would've been happy on an international, Skype/MS Teams livestream.  We missed out doing this last year because I was too ill at the time.

If LinusTechTips is willing to open up the contest to everyody else, there may be entrants (ourselves included) able to cover the costs for import duties.  That way you only pay the export fees from BC.

Shipping sint the problem. @Spotty Speculated that 

Cost of shipping internationally

• This is not only the cost of shipping a large quantity, weight, and size of parts internationally, but it might also includes import duties, fees and taxes

Global Instability

• International shipping is currently very uncertain and there are a lot of delays due to the pandemic.
  • In a few weeks time a country might just go in to complete lockdown and close their borders, causing further disruptions to international shipping potentially delaying the project indefinitely

Time cost

• LTT is on a filming schedule to produce the ROG Rig Reboot content. They can't wait around for weeks or even months for someone in a different continent to receive their computer
  • People have 7 days to submit entries. At least another 7-14 days to review the hundreds or even thousands of entries and announce finalists before choosing the winners. Another few days to contact the winners and liaison with them regarding shipping and instructions. ????? days delivery. A couple of days to film all of the winners videos. Then a few more days or a week to edit the videos. So let's say at least 4 weeks not including the time for shipping. So if you're shipping somewhere in Canada and USA where shipping might only be a few days or a week then you would be looking at around 4-6 week turnaround and have the videos up on the channel by early to mid November, just in time for the peak buying period and likely what Asus is targeting. If there was a delay caused by shipping of even a few weeks then it could have negative impact on the campaign. There's not much point running a promotion targeting the November/December buying period if you end up releasing the video in January.

It's an advertisement

• Asus is sponsoring this. Linus isn't just giving away free computers for the fun of it. Asus are using the competition to promote their products and advertise those products to potential customers. If they want to focus their marketing efforts on particular regional markets then that's up to them. I'm sure Asus would want to reach as large an audience as possible, but see the previous points as to why this might not be practical. We're rapidly approaching the end of year buying period and Asus would want their promotions to run prior to or during that period, they don't want to risk it potentially being delayed and missing that major buying period that would account for a significant portion of their yearly sales.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

What is all the screaming about? If you live in a country that isn't eligible take it it's nothing that will disappear (okay it kinda will)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Will I be disqualified if there's a risk of copyright claim? Thinking of covering/parodying a song without license. 

6 minutes ago, Indiankid124 said:

What if your pc is so sucky it can’t upload a video

Sucks for you.

5 minutes ago, Five_putt said:

Will I be disqualified if there's a risk of copyright claim? Thinking of covering/parodying a song without license. 

As long as they view it before it gets claimed you should be fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, Five_putt said:

Put it as unlisted, though auto copyright could stop you.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

holy shit, the entitlement of some people in this thread, in the youtube comments and just fucking everywhere else whining about it not being available in your region.

it basically amounts to "how dare you not consider giving me free stuff because i was absolutely going to win and hinged everything on ROG Reboot to get a new PC".

i actually like that it's restricted, it means not as many videos to sift through so they can create a short list much faster and spend longer reviewing the better ones.

And i KNOW people are going to try, but using a VPN to pretend you're in the USA or Canada isn't going to work

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, Indiankid124 said:

Use a phone or other device.

28 minutes ago, Five_putt said:

Look into parody law. I believe you can parody a song with infringing the intellectual property as long as it meets certain requirements. I don’t remember what the requirements are though.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

46 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

You do see my location right? Sure CP might be cheaper for smaller packages, in which case since most of LMGs stuff is small in that case hence no point in using others. UPS wouldn't even entertain Linus if he wanted to make a business account to ship only one item likely, and if they did the deal wouldn't be as good as others can get. Now I don't know the shipping costs for businesses because I don't have an account with them in that sense, however anyone could plug in the basic costs into their accounts shipping calculator and find out, however that is still assuming Linus even has an account with any other provider beyond CP, which if CP is the cheapest for small packets then they likely have no need to use the others.

Correct, in fact if one really wanted too they could find out how much they pay their employees, which in turn figure how much LMG makes a year. However all this means nothing since shipping isn't their main business, and hawking their merch is just that, doesn't mean you or I will buy it but if we do they likely make about 30% off of each item, maybe even more. In fact I would say merch is still sitting in their 15% or lower income amount vs someone like Mr Beast who sold 60K+ units in one sitting at likely $45 USD a pop.

One can easily expand a company during hard times, in fact less possible issues of the virus entering the building LMG is likely profiting off of this pandemic like Amazon is just not as much as them, but likely still are. So for them in sense of income would make sense for this pandemic to drag on, but not introducing risks to their workers that could destroy them.

I was on mobile when I replied, so no, I didn't see your location.

Sure, but you're ignoring international shipping. Which UPS probably has a much wider network than CP, who just passes it off to the local post office in that region and in that case, is less secure than something like UPS or FedEx is. Getting a business account when it comes to shipping really isn't as hard as you seem to think it is.

That doesn't make much sense. There's many, many things besides labour costs that go into a business, not to mention the profit they have left at the end of the year. Yes, Mr Beast sold that many shirts at that value, however if you look at his videos, they likely make significantly more than an LTT video.

They could. That doesn't mean it's smart. Linus isn't stupid, he isn't going to expand of they're on razor thin margins.

I'm not sure why you referenced COVID. It's not relevant. My hard times was referring to razor thin profit margins.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I have been watching them, and there are like 2 that are from eligible countries, under 1 min, and wasnt like "my pc is bad gimme a free one plz, its like 4 years old, i cant play max settings!'

Yeah they've all been pretty cringe so far. Then again, they only need 3 out of the probably close to 4,000 entries they're likely to see.

They're probably thrilled there's so many shit entries, makes their lives much easier 😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do I enter or do I not, that is the question. Local winner to be chosen, I do have a pretty good chance then. 🤔 But then I would have to make a video and show my face, *gasp*

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Do I enter or do I not, that is the question. Local winner to be chosen, I do have a pretty good chance then. 🤔 But then I would have to make a video and show my face, *gasp*

Noo, don't replace the Phenom :(

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I posted mine (I'm in BC as well), but I'm most likely guaranteed to not win it, lol. I never win anything and honestly it's just at this point a "let's see what happens" thing. my video isn't even that good, just me explaining what sort of field I want to go into where I would need good components

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

3 minutes ago, Indiankid124 said:

Do we have to show our faces

in the videos

it's not a requirement, but put it this way, all of the previous winners did. the video just needs to be creative

with that said; if your name is accurate and you are from India, you can't enter anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Indiankid124 said:

Do we have to show our faces

in the videos

i've seen some responses without their face in it but they definitely will vet you based on how much you're willing to show of your own person so they can confirm you're a legitimate human being

Spoiler

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Jokes aside I seriously don't get why everyone wants her on LTT. I found the video extremely hard to watch.

She pissed Linus off in the most endearing way, she held up well on camera, and I was just thoroughly entertained by their interaction.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, Indiankid124 said:

You can render and upload on a Pentium 4. It just takes patience.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just find a rescue center with a Chinchilla and send it as a replacement, it's a triple win.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I was on mobile when I replied, so no, I didn't see your location.

Sure, but you're ignoring international shipping. Which UPS probably has a much wider network than CP, who just passes it off to the local post office in that region and in that case, is less secure than something like UPS or FedEx is. Getting a business account when it comes to shipping really isn't as hard as you seem to think it is.

Ah ok that makes sense.

Sure they have a wider range but that doesn't mean they are better. I've personally never had issues with getting stuff internationally via local post with tracking (mostly Japan, china is a hit/miss, most other places seem to be ok but that is all), or sending (USA only). I've had issues with UPS, not with FedEx not including customs issues which both are horrid. It could be as easy as a simple register and no one looks at your account, but if for the most part if it is cheaper to ship via CP which in turns goes to USPS and British Post etc with a very low (if any) lost package count, why bother? Esp when packages of the sizes LMG deals with isn't worth the time in doing.

That doesn't make much sense. There's many, many things besides labour costs that go into a business, not to mention the profit they have left at the end of the year. Yes, Mr Beast sold that many shirts at that value, however if you look at his videos, they likely make significantly more than an LTT video.

LMG is a service, a stationary service, their prime expenses are rent, utilities, equipment, and employees. Since employees will likely be their biggest money hog one can count the number of workers go based on average wages for what they do (higher amounts for the original staff etc) and assume they take at least 50% of all of LMGs expenses category. Once you figure that out tack on a 10-30% profit margin and there you go, you have what is likely the best guess on how much LMG pulls in less CEO COO CwhateverO takes out in salaries, bonuses etc. Year end profits don't just magically get taken out by Linus and gang, that would be a very bad choice because the profits last year are best used to invest in the coming year(s) and is why many places are actually closing shop even tho they may have been in business for decades.

However that is my point, if he can convince the internet to buy 60+ thousand units in 24 hours with a promise then under normal circumstances the numbers are likely a lot lower (else he might not have made such a promise). His view counts are higher and I do watch his videos from time to time, but like many others I don't buy his stuff less the team trees stuff I bought. So if he doesn't sell normally large amounts of merch then one can easily assume Linus sells far less, still something is better than nothing and the fact they keep selling out either presents a false sense of demand (low production rates), or an actual demand for the product, which one is the case? Only LMG knows I'm leaning towards small amounts that lead to a false sense of demand since LMG is a service first and having large amounts of merchandise that can lose value on premise isn't a good idea for a service.

They could. That doesn't mean it's smart. Linus isn't stupid, he isn't going to expand of they're on razor thin margins.

I'm not sure why you referenced COVID. It's not relevant. My hard times was referring to razor thin profit margins.

Like I said above LMG is a service, a source of entertainment, a YouTube channel. What do people do when they have nothing to do at home during a pandemic? Sleep? Eat? Play Games? Watch YouTube, Netflix etc? All above. Now no one at LMG is going to disclose analytics to us as to if they have seen a increase in initial views or not due to the pandemic, nor are they going to tell us if they have seen a spike in older videos being watched as well, however I'm fairly sure they have. Now is LMG equally hit by the pandemic? Sure because Linus did mention himself (WAN show maybe?) that LMG has set aside a slush fund for those who may need to go on leave for reasons of COVID. However beyond the fact that he hasn't hired new workers (that I've noticed) this year when the pandemic hit hard, I have my doubts Linus has had to let anyone go because of it either, which means everyone there is still able to make LMG a profit to some degree.

You also never stated your hard times:

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Linus is not making pennies though. You don't expand a company when you're in hard times, and he's making content. One of the highest revenue to input markets. 

Unless you are Linus in disguise?

All seriousness at least you are making a profit in these times, something is still better than nothing.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You can render and upload on a Pentium 4. It just takes patience.

Speaking of which... I have one sitting in the garage. Complete with 1.5GB of RAM and a Geforce 6200, what a powerhouse.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Speaking of which... I have one sitting in the garage. Complete with 1.5GB of RAM and a Geforce 6200, what a powerhouse.

Your Pentium has a GPU in it 😮 Mine only has 8GB of ram no HDD 😅

8 hours ago, CPotter said:

Thanks to ASUS ROG for sponsoring this video series! Enter at https://lmg.gg/rogrigreboot20 for your chance to build a new computer with Linus.

Video Requirements

1) 30 - 60 seconds maximum. 
2) Show us your current Rig
3) Tell us why you deserve to win!
4) #ROGRigReboot20 in the video description
5) Be Creative!!

We're back with the 4th annual ROG RIG Reboot!!! Three lucky winners will have a chance to win an ASUS ROG gaming rig in this year's competition. One local winner from British Columbia, Canada will be chosen to visit the Linus Media Group HQ and build a PC with Linus in-person while two additional winners from all other eligible regions will participate in remote building sessions with Linus as they help him build their dream PC!

Do you accept rig reboot videos from India?

5 minutes ago, Adwaith PJ said:

Do you accept rig reboot videos from India?

they said north america only, top prize goes to someone from BC only

Spoiler

wow! I was right about the date of the announcement!!

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

37 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it's not a requirement, but put it this way, all of the previous winners did. the video just needs to be creative

with that said; if your name is accurate and you are from India, you can't enter anyway.

I’m living in North America currently so I guess it would be ideal to show my face