RTX 3080 “Paper Edition” eBay scam

Mykull
13 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Not really a scam, the thing you are paying for is accurately described in the ads. If you fall for this you deserve it.

The text below is also in the listing. For this to be a valid transaction that ebay will enforce and that isn't something they would lose in court... then the following text would need to be removed. The paper is not manufacturer by ASUS, does not have an Nvidia chip, does not have 10GB of ram, etc. So including any misleading information like below is meant to deceive and pushes this into scam territory.

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chipset/GPU Model: RTX 3080 Brand:

ASUS

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years Memory Type:

GDDR6X

Disproven by Steve from gamers nexus but sure go ahead with the misleading headlines 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Seller ****** up big time with that description declaring it has vram.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

I don't think it's a scam

What you think isn't relevant, as my post above yours video proves it. 

Sorry, but all this crap is scam. It's clearly formatted to scam people. Why else wouldn't they call it "A printed photo of RTX 3080" then?  Stop defending these scumbags.

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

I don't think it's a scam, the description clearly says it's a paper edition, it's the hyped fanboys' that don't read fault, proceed to instabuy a printed pic for $700 and then dare to complain.

This is clearly designed to trick people who want to buy the actual product into buying an overpriced piece of paper. Yes, it clearly states what it is, mostly so they can claim they didn't trick anyone, not because they are actually trying to be nice about it.

But intent matters. Whoever is selling these is clearly hoping to catch people unaware. They are absolutely intent on tricking people into buying a picture of a card instead of an actual card. Why else would anyone ever sell a picture of a brand new "rare" item?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

17 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

This is clearly designed to trick people who want to buy the actual product into buying an overpriced piece of paper. Yes, it clearly states what it is, mostly so they can claim they didn't trick anyone, not because they are actually trying to be nice about it.

But intent matters. Whoever is selling these is clearly hoping to catch people unaware. They are absolutely intent on tricking people into buying a picture of a card instead of an actual card. Why else would anyone ever sell a picture of a brand new "rare" item?

And at roughly the price of an actual item...

if you're smart enough to have the money for a 3080... heck if you're smart enough to use a computer or read english,  you're smart enough to know its a piece of paper they're selling. I saw it yesterday on eBay and I shook my head and chuckled. It's juvenile but no one's going to fall for it. If you know someone dumb enough to fall for it, you have some interesting friends.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So is this the most botched GPU release yet?

It's the most botched one that I can personally remember.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I'd like to remind everyone that the reason we have laws are to protect people.

It's easy to feel superior to someone when you have an entire article dedicated to saying "don't buy this, it's a scam", but there have probably been situations were you have been or were close to being scammed and if that happens you'll probably be happy that anti-spam laws exist.

If it hasn't happened to you yet then chances are you are fairly young and it might happen to you later in life. Or maybe you'll never get scammed because you're lucky and/or smart, but just because you managed to avoid something doesn't mean people who aren't as smart/lucky doesn't deserve legal protection from being taken advantage of. 

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

a video of a cringeworthy TV show from 1986 makes me not relevant, sure pal, why don't you go back to your troll cave or something

anyway back in topic

if someone's dumb enough to pay $800 for a picture he kiiiinda deserves to be ripped off, there are tons of dumb buyers on ebay that don't read any desc and that's why you have these clowns selling pictures and not real graphics cards

it's a common practice even outside ebay, you have companies put part of a product's name in huge bold letters and the rest in tiny ones to trick unaware customers into buying their stuff, or have them add bs like "organic" or "all natural" to the label to attract vegans or whatever

No the phrase “I don’t think..” does.  The whole defense of this behavior seems to be either “I will ignore certain basic facets of the situation so my position makes more sense” vs. what you seem to be doing which is “I reject your reality and substitute my own”.  An ancient video would say that not only it objective reality not that way but hasn’t been that way for a long time. In this particular case I suspect that if they had video in the 14th century it would be equally in disagreement.  This sort of thing has never been OK, and it isn’t really new either.  

To choose an even older example from my childhood: Anyone remember “x-ray specs” from the 70’s? That used to advertise them on the backs of comic books.  They’d have a pic of a child using them to observe the bones in his hand, but the pictures in the background implied they could be used to see through women’s clothing.  The glasses had nothing to do with X-rays.  They had a picture of hand bones printed on the inside. There was another one advertised via the same method where they purported to sell a submarine.  They had drawings of it under water and stuff. It was a cardboard “play set” of te sort that could be put together out of an old refrigerator box.  Both were prosecuted for fraud.   So this behavior is not new and wasn’t OK.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

a video of a cringeworthy TV show from 1986 makes me not relevant, sure pal, why don't you go back to your troll cave or something

anyway back in topic

if someone's dumb enough to pay $800 for a picture he kiiiinda deserves to be ripped off, there are tons of dumb buyers on ebay that don't read any desc and that's why you have these clowns selling pictures and not real graphics cards

it's a common practice even outside ebay, you have companies put part of a product's name in huge bold letters and the rest in tiny ones to trick unaware customers into buying their stuff, or have them add bs like "organic" or "all natural" to the label to attract vegans or whatever

Lets be clear. NO ONE, NO   ONE. Ever. Deserves to be scammed. It doesn't matter how dumb, neglectful, etc. No one deserves that.

So trying to explain away someone taking advantage of another (which in this case is also ILLEGAL) as being the victims own fault.... just shows me where you stand on the moral compass meter. This is like blaming the woman for being raped because she decided to wear a dress/skirt.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Lets be clear. NO ONE, NO   ONE. Ever. Deserves to be scammed. It doesn't matter how dumb, neglectful, etc. No one deserves that.

So trying to explain away someone taking advantage of another (which in this case is also ILLEGAL) as being the victims own fault.... just shows me where you stand on the moral compass meter. This is like blaming the woman for being raped because she decided to wear a dress/skirt.

would be nice if eBay actively blocked these scams, can't be hard to stop a listing with paper edition in it even if its for 3-6 months.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 minute ago, Maticks said:

would be nice if eBay actively blocked these scams, can't be hard to stop a listing with paper edition in it even if its for 3-6 months.

I agree, I say the exact same thing about facebook. Their reporting systems and automated detection methods need improving.

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ahhh the morality card

should I feel bad about some moron paying $700 for a pic? oh please.

The standard defensive statement.  It’s clear that you don’t.  Should you though?  General legal opinion of the last couple hundred years says yes.  Remember, just because something can’t be easily prosecuted doesn’t mean it’s not  evil.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

51 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The standard defensive statement.  It’s clear that you don’t.  Should you though?  General legal opinion of the last couple hundred years says yes.  Remember, just because something can’t be easily prosecuted doesn’t mean it’s not  evil.

What kills me is people like this will be quick to make fun of others who get scammed, but the moment they have someone do it to them they will cry the loudest. They will be on ebay, forums, anything they can find screaming about it and demanding everyone else is to blame.

The fact is wrong is wrong. If someone is scamming others then they are the ones to blame NOT the victims. The only reason they do this is because of people like this poster. They find out they were scammed then read people telling them it was there own fault so they give up or don't press the issue with ebay like they should. In the end the scammer wins. What people SHOULD be doing is demanding these items are removed quickly and efficiently. We should be holding the people posting this garbage accountable for it instead of trying to excuse that behavior behind people being too "stupid." 

Just reading the ebay links their "Item specifics", this is cleary trying to trick people. High likely trying to scam people.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 9/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Disproven by Steve from gamers nexus but sure go ahead with the misleading headlines 

You might want to actually read what this thread is discussing before commenting. It's not discussing the alleged "Paper Launch" of the RTX 3080, but rather people who are selling "Paper edition" RTX 3080s on ebay which are just photos of the graphics card they printed out on to paper.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

You might want to actually read what this thread is discussing before commenting. It's not discussing the alleged "Paper Launch" of the RTX 3080, but rather people who are selling "Paper edition" RTX 3080s on ebay which are just photos of the graphics card they printed out on to paper.

ahh.. saw so many memes on reddit about ppl calling this a paper think launch as there were no stocks, based on that info i assumed this post was about that too. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Having a really hard time feeling sorry for people who spend hundreds of dollars on something without reading what they are buying

say, my friend wanted some decorations for his room. if anyone has one, hmu

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

If people are so stupid they pay 800 bucks for a piece of paper (if its clearly noted like in the examples) they deserve everything they get.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!