RTX 3080 “Paper Edition” eBay scam

Mykull

Summary

Ebay Scalpers are one thing, but now there are RTX 3080 “Paper editions” floating around on eBay. Causing many consumers to bid on what they thought were graphics cards, when in fact the “paper edition” is actually just a printed image of the RTX 3080. Bids are anywhere from $500 to $800 for a piece of paper. This could be related to the recent news of consumers over bidding on Scalpers pre-orders and then not paying to force eBay selling fees; however, this is a PSA telling people to be careful when shopping for a RTX 3080. This is not an isolated incidence or just one seller, this is several sellers all running the same scam.

My thoughts

I haven’t seen any articles on this specifically, but just by typing in “RTX 3080” in the eBay search bar yielded these scams. These are people charging RTX 3080 prices for a printed photo of the graphics card to hopefully scam some buyer who makes a mistake by not reading the full description. Also some of the specs are off on the listings, such as saying 11 gb of ram, shame.

Sources

Here are a few different eBay links that are valid as of sept. 18th 2020:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284015792075

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164389001096

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254722248476

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154092726117

5022BCCB-8299-4718-857D-B288460C5525.png

2936F969-8C28-4A94-9DD4-D1971C18743D.jpeg

2157FE9E-A950-47A0-A93B-52D2E1F11DB8.png

B5680E5E-5B20-4535-85BD-A6A69A317D01.jpeg

They can buy those and put them in a picture frame on the wall next to their non-existent diplomas. 

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

at least 10% goes to a charity, wonder if thats a tactic to cause issues with doing a refund. on feebay, i mean ebay...

in Australia i think a printed poster is as close as we will see an FE card.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

So the usual recycled scam. Thing is people are not going to get refunded for this as the product is not doing anything that is not allowed on ebay. It is clearly stated that the product is a picture. This even happens with non questionable items being sold. The amount of times I've seen people bid up items that are listed as just the box, the case, broken,... assuming it's a working product and not read the description is insane. I've had it happen multiple times where I stated a clear issue with in the title READ DESCRIPTION then ebay agrees with me and the buyer loses their case.

Like I sold a 1080 waterblock for a friend on ebay during the mining craze and got 620€ for it as they assumed it was the card even tho the first 2 pictures were the waterblock the description said WATERBLOCK ONLY in caps. The title was Gtx 1080/1080ti ek waterblock watercooling (and some other words to get the search). The reason the people tought it was the card was because the third picture was of it in action showing that it worked. The buyer was so angry when they just got a almost new waterblock and with strong words demanded a refund and was not sending the item back. I ended up keeping the money but was willing to refund them if they sent it back undamaged at their own cost but they did not want to do that thus ebay sided with me and I kept the money.

Not really a scam, the thing you are paying for is accurately described in the ads. If you fall for this you deserve it.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I don’t think these are all scams, they want to make it harder for scalpers to price gouge. By filling up the first few listings, they deny the scalpers top results. They actually all say *paper edition* or *read description* in the title.

I believe they did the same for either the PS3 or PS4 when that came out. 

In this case however, I believe some of the higher prices are due to patrolling bots from this post:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Anyone remember that guy from the 70s who got rich by selling pet rocks?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I would say I'm surprised but some people are just that dumb =/

Everyone is dumb when they’re not paying attention and no one pays attention all the time.  Trying to do so is a path to crazy and crazy sucks hard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Anyone remember that guy from the 70s who got rich by selling pet rocks?

*raises hand*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Not really a scam, the thing you are paying for is accurately described in the ads. If you fall for this you deserve it.

No it’s really a scam.  It shows an intent to deceive.  To claim it is other is sophistry. 

Even if you sell a printed picture for $800, with the cost of ink you're probably only breaking even

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

this is why you always read the fine print

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

These people def play or played EVE online, sitting in Jita. Scam as old as the internet.

Depends how this is done. if it'a clearly stated in normal or larger fonts in multiple places, buyers own fault. if it's buried in the small print, then it's shay, (And in some parts of Europe, illegal).

10 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Depends how this is done. if it'a clearly stated in normal or larger fonts in multiple places, buyers own fault. if it's buried in the small print, then it's shay, (And in some parts of Europe, illegal).

Though the fact it's a popular item and priced like it's the actual item shows intent of trying to deceive people.

How is this news? I’ve seen this with a plethora of products over the years

Learn to read and to distrust ebay listings for cards that just came out?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This reminds me of one of the articles on the webz about a buyer got delivered a paper of an iPad and the seller won the case.

Can't remember exactly but that definitely happened lol. If someone refuses to read the description and complains about the paper edition once delivered, he/she deserves to lose the case because the seller was very clear and honest.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

This reminds me of one of the articles on the webz about a buyer got delivered a paper of an iPad and the seller won the case.

Can't remember exactly but that definitely happened lol. If someone refuses to read the description and complains about the paper edition once delivered, he/she deserves to lose the case because the seller was very clear and honest.

Again depends how it's done and what jurisdiction your in.