CPU overheating out of nowhere

Hey all, got a bit of a head scratcher here... Not even sure if this is the right place to post this thread but here goes. About a week ago I noticed my CPU was overheating, reaching 80c while playing Warzone, I figured it just needed some fresh thermal paste so I cleaned it up and put some on, problem solved... Until last night. I was playing Warzone and my CPU was reaching 90c and the usage was at 100%... The liquid in the AIO tubes is really hot but the radiator is cool, but I can hear the liquid flowing. The high usage is really bugging me too, usually it hovers around 40-50%.

I did a MalwareBytes scan and nothing came up. I'm really not sure if this is hardware or software issue.

CPU is an i7 3930k and the AIO is a Corsair H105.

Check the cpu voltage in the BIOS. Also make sure the AIO is actually on right. Maybe it came loose?

Just now, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Does this high cpu usage come while doing any other thing?

So far it's only when Warzone is open, but idle temps are hotter than usual. I will open up another game now and have a look.

1 minute ago, DankDeuxez said:

Check the cpu voltage in the BIOS. Also make sure the AIO is actually on right. Maybe it came loose?

Vcore is at 1.32, been running it like this for 6-7 years. I actually had the same thought about the AIO and redid everything again.

radiator is cool means the hot water isnt reaching there

possibly dead pump?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

possibly dead pump?

I can hear water flowing but maybe it's just degraded over time and can't get the job done.

Just now, _DeXTeR_ said:

First Warzone is high CPU intensive game, second its possible that you have that high temps something is wrong With your Pump or changes in Bios

Nothing changed in the bios, before making this post I even loaded my saved bios profile and looked through it making sure everything looked right. I just played a quick game of Warzone and the temp was 90c, just 1c off of TjMax. My guess is when it throttles at 91c, the cores have to work harder to make up for lost clock speed?

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

possibly dead pump?

I dunno now. I can feel the hot liquid go all the way up the tube, and the other tube is bringing cool liquid down... Wtf is going on... I'm idling at 80c

3 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

I dunno now. I can feel the hot liquid go all the way up the tube, and the other tube is bringing cool liquid down... Wtf is going on... I'm idling at 80c

possibly not enough liquid to go around

if you tilt the radiator/case with radiator, does it feel/sound empty?

or pump is not strong enough to pump the liquid at a fast enough rate, or it's jammed somewhere

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

possibly not enough liquid to go around

if you tilt the radiator/case with radiator, does it feel/sound empty?

or pump is not strong enough to pump the liquid at a fast enough rate, or it's jammed somewhere

not really, I can feel a decent flow (seems good to me anyway) through both tubes. I have the pump plugged into my CPU_Fan header and I read the RPM in the bios, it's at 1829RPM, which apparently seems to be the max RPM for this AIO. Could my thermal paste just be shit? I've had it sitting in my cupboard in a tupperware container for about a year, maybe more.

2 minutes ago, WolfDeville said:

Could my thermal paste just be shit? I've had it sitting in my cupboard in a tupperware container for about a year, maybe more

i kept my thermal paste for like 2 years and it's still fine

probably only a problem if you have crappy paste and didnt cover it with the included covers on the nozzle.

doesnt explain why one tube is hot while one is cold though, if thermal paste is bad, both tube would feel cool since little heat is being transfered

im still sticking with the insufficient flow rate theory, because both tube should feel warm, not one cold one warm.

Just now, _DeXTeR_ said:

Setup Pump on 50% and going 100% to 100c while your fans goes always 25% faster from pump.

Dude I don't fucking know what's going on lol. I just loaded up an ooold BIOS profile with the only (seemingly) difference of clock speed at 3.8GHz from 4GHz, and the Vcore at 1.29 from 1.32 and now it's 60c in Warzone... Am I losing my mind? Could the temp censor in the CPU be fucked? I've literally made no changes in the BIOS recently, and certainly none that would ramp up the temps to what they were.

2 minutes ago, thrallock said:

how old is the aio?

About 5-6 years old. I somehow fixed the issue for now though. We'll see what happens I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

im still sticking with the insufficient flow rate theory, because both tube should feel warm, not one cold one warm.

Agreed, especially as idle temps are high. 

One pipe really hot, one cold with a cold radiator is not a good sign.

You may also have a temp censor issue.