Nintendo might have just quietly killed off the DS line

Master Disaster

Without a doubt the DS is one of the most popular hand held systems of all time, its been around almost 16 years in various forms and has sold over 150 million units over the years. Well now Nintendo of Japan have announced that production of new DS units has ceased and Nintendo of America have removed the DS from their website entirely.

On the 3DS hardware section of the official Japanese Nintendo website, an announcement appeared today stating that the production of the Nintendo 3DS series has been discontinued. Meanwhile, the official U.S. Nintendo website no longer lists the 3DS in its hardware section and no mention of the 3DS line of products can be found. In fact, the nintendo.com/3ds URL redirects to nintendo.com. But unlike the Japanese website, there is no announcement of the handheld's discontinuation.

While it is a sudden move for sure its not exactly unexpected, the Switch has been selling like hotcakes so its no surprise Nintendo feel the need to focus on it, plus theres rumours of a 4K Switch coming next year.

These news come abruptly as Nintendo has not made any official statement regarding the discontinuation of the 3DS line. The company even held a mini Direct today but made no such statement. With the Wii U long discontinued and the 3DS following suit, Nintendo seems to fully focus on the Nintendo Switch. An upgraded model has even been rumored by multiple sources briefed on Nintendo's strategy for an early 2021 release.

Source - https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-discontinues-3ds-production-in-japan.573880/

RIP the Nintendo DS. Personally I see this as a move to streamline their systems and I guess they'll now start marketing the Switch Lite as a DS replacement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Personally I see this as a move to streamline their systems and I guess they'll now start marketing the Switch Lite as a DS replacement.

That maybe their exact aim considering their Switch has had more publicity than maybe any other of their handhelds, and then software optimisation for games will also be better...

I still have my DS Lite from a decade ago, vivid memories of playing Mario Kart, Animal Crossing Wild World, and other smaller games on it, it was one of my favorite handheld consoles at the time.

I do now own a Nintendo Switch so the death of the DS isn't hitting me as hard since I'm still on the Nintendo train though.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

They were still making them? Who's buying a DS over a Switch (outside of collectors) now that the switch has a pretty decent library

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Sweet dreams, my prince. I've owned way too many of you for a single individual.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

They were still making them? Who's buying a DS over a Switch (outside of collectors) now that the switch has a pretty decent library

The new 3ds XL was retailing about $125 USD in my area. It would be a pretty potent system for that much.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

3DS was cheaper than the Switch by almost $200 near the end of its life. Nintendo probably kept it alive for so long as a "budget" alternative to the Switch.

However, it seems they want to focus on the Switch entirely, rather than dividing manufacturing lines between the aging 3DS and the newer Switch/Lite.

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

RIP the Nintendo DS. Personally I see this as a move to streamline their systems and I guess they'll now start marketing the Switch Lite as a DS replacement.

That's what they said they were going to do back at the start of the Switch era. They were going to consolidate their development tools so that (things like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros ) aren't duplicated efforts.

Like, do we really need two consoles that serve the same market? No, not really. 

IMO, Nintendo should have done this earlier and made the Switch an upgrade path from the 3DS, but then people would have the expectation of running the 3DS software on it.

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The new 3ds XL was retailing about $125 USD in my area. It would be a pretty potent system for that much.

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

3DS was cheaper than the Switch by almost $200 near the end of its life. Nintendo probably kept it alive for so long as a "budget" alternative to the Switch.

However, it seems they want to focus on the Switch entirely, rather than dividing manufacturing lines between the aging 3DS and the newer Switch/Lite.

Well in that case killing it off probably made even more sense from Nintendo's end as they probably wanted to sell more  switch lites

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Sure looks like it. https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/3ds/overview just redirects to the Nintendo.com and well...there's no mention of the 3DS console anywhere outside of the (digital) Game Store. And that's just to purchase games for the device. 

image.thumb.png.fe02561e5fbae7bc2b38cb7c00b11a7a.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I guess the DS/3DS library will live on with emulators.

I mean, playing them on something like a Surface Duo (or V60 dual screen) sounds amazing:

surfaceduodetails.thumb.jpg.3cd5d526d4521eef7deee15fa72c469c.jpg

The lack of shoulder buttons might be an issue though

19 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

There are many nice games exclusive to the DS that you can't get anywhere else.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, HumdrumPenguin said:

There are many nice games exclusive to the DS that you can't get anywhere else.

Bravely Default to name one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I remember vividly playing Mario Kart on my cousin's DS about 10 years ago, fun times.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Rip Mario and Luigi Dream Team.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6