Brand New RTX 2060 + i7 Laptop CPU Stays at about 100’C while gaming ( ASUS TURBO MODE ) !! Should I be Worried?

WolfLoverPro

Is it normal for the cpu staying at like minimum I’d say is 95 and sometimes I see it at 100!!!! 

Note that im wondering if because I have it in turbo mode I don’t need to be worried? Turbo mode apparently overclocks the gpu and cpu so maybe it’s fine?? 

I have the ASUS ROG STRIX 15 

Average gaming laptop temps. This is why you shouldn't buy them.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

No. Not normal. Consumer base CPUs and GPUs are rated at 95C max. Heck, once it reaches 90, you know something's wrong. Are you sure it's not Fahrenheit? Because 100c is boiling point. No electronic devices should ever sit in that temperature.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Average gaming laptop temps. This is why you shouldn't buy them.

How is 100C average. C'mon. I'd say 70 to 85 on load -- but 100.

32 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Is it normal for the cpu staying at like minimum I’d say is 95 and sometimes I see it at 100!!!! 

Note that im wondering if because I have it in turbo mode I don’t need to be worried? Turbo mode apparently overclocks the gpu and cpu so maybe it’s fine?? 

how are the temps off of turbo mode? 

the Strix overclocks pretty aggressively so I would expect around 100C on the cooler as it doesn't seem to be designed to sustain gaming in that mode outside of benchmarks or short bursts. I would start by turning off turbo mode and seeing how you like the performance and if you really notice a difference (other than your fans not screaming for help) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

27 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

No. Not normal. Consumer base CPUs and GPUs are rated at 95C max. Heck, once it reaches 90, you know something's wrong. Are you sure it's not Fahrenheit? Because 100c is boiling point. No electronic devices should ever sit in that temperature.

100C is totally normal for a laptop. It's not good, but it's normal.

Microprocessors are delicate beasts, so they kneecap themselves at way lower temperatures than most dumber electronic components, for example MOSFETs will easily run at 120C 24/7.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

29 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

how are the temps off of turbo mode? 

the Strix overclocks pretty aggressively so I would expect around 100C on the cooler as it doesn't seem to be designed to sustain gaming in that mode outside of benchmarks or short bursts. I would start by turning off turbo mode and seeing how you like the performance and if you really notice a difference (other than your fans not screaming for help) 

53 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

It is in 100C unfortunately 

idk I never game with it on lower than turbo just cause I run all games at ultra settings and I mean why did they make it an option if it’s gonna break my laptop wtf

is there a quick benchmark software game that requires no messing around just download and run that will tell me the temperatures 

because atm I’m only seeing the temp reach 100 when I come out of a game and by then it cools a bit since I just use the ASUs panel thing and I have to wait for that to boot up  

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

why did they make it an option if it’s gonna break my laptop

it's bragging rights and marketing numbers. they get to say "our GPU runs at speeds faster than desktops" or "we have xx FPS in CS:GO" which will be run on turbo with an air conditioner blowing straight into the laptop. 

it also gives reviewers a quick way to push the laptop as hard as it can go without having to mess around in settings or changing fan curves so it gives every reviewer an even playing field when it comes to benchmarks, last thing a company wants is a bunch of reviews running on ECO mode for benchmarks because the numbers will be lower than other manufacturers running better or just different cooling. 

Razer did the same thing by pre-undervolting their CPU so it ran a higher turbo out of the box compared to the same CPU being run in other laptops with better cooling but stock settings. 

5 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

it's bragging rights and marketing numbers. they get to say "our GPU runs at speeds faster than desktops" or "we have xx FPS in CS:GO" which will be run on turbo with an air conditioner blowing straight into the laptop. 

it also gives reviewers a quick way to push the laptop as hard as it can go without having to mess around in settings or changing fan curves so it gives every reviewer an even playing field when it comes to benchmarks, last thing a company wants is a bunch of reviews running on ECO mode for benchmarks because the numbers will be lower than other manufacturers running better or just different cooling. 

Razer did the same thing by pre-undervolting their CPU so it ran a higher turbo out of the box compared to the same CPU being run in other laptops with better cooling but stock settings. 

Wat so I should just turn it down to performance instead of turbo? Or use turbo if it don’t get too hot if I test it 

wat is a MAX SAFE temp?

i have the I7 10750 which says max before die or something 100c but then it never shuts off due to overheating so 

I use to own a gaming laptop back in college. I know what I'm talking about, ASUS alone had in their manual the proper operating temp, usage, et cetera. I don't know if OP is gaming in the bed, couch, carpet or whatever. 

100C average is counterproductive. It's going to die sooner, it's under warranty, they have to fulfill it, they lose money. WHAT?! Just turn turbo off, Ultra gaming is not for laptops. Well maybe Skyrim and Witcher, newer titles. No.

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Wat so I should just turn it down to performance instead of turbo? Or use turbo if it don’t get too hot if I test it 

wat is a MAX SAFE temp?

i have the I7 10750 which says max before die or something 100c but then it never shuts off due to overheating so 

Seriously man, instead of asking a bunch of wannabe IT and wizards. Why not contact manufacturer directly, believe it or not, customer service and engineering department can communicate directly and give you an answer. Once you get an answer, take a screenshot or archive the email for future use as evidence.

And it's a laptop, play at medium personally acceptable temps. There's little to no room for great airflow. Why join a marathon when your lungs are dying and shrinking from COVID?

11 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

MAX SAFE temp?

Intel's spec max safe temp is 95C before the CPU thermal throttles, I believe GPU is around 80C. It won't kill the system running them hotter it will just throttle back the performance until "t-Max" is achieved and sit there. All modern CPU and GPUs will protect themselves from temperatures and frequencies outside of their safety margins so you shouldn't worry too much. cooler than the maximum spec is preferable and will prolong the life of the components so switch to performance for a while and see what your temps are at, you'll get nearly the same performance (probably a 5 or 6 fps dip) in most games unless it's pushing like 200fps in CS:GO where you'll get 180fps instead. but your temps should drop to the 80's or under and your fans will quiet down a ton. 

2 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

wannabe IT

I resent that :P, some of us were pro IT, but we moved onto to bigger and better things. Now I get to give back a bit in my free time and nerd out about tech which I don't get to do anymore at work. 

2 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

I resent that :P, some of us were pro IT, but we moved onto to bigger and better things. Now I get to give back a bit in my free time and nerd out about tech which I don't get to do anymore at work. 

I was a CNT student that was gonna go for IT but my instructor barely knew what he was talking about so I dropped it and went for finance. Would be cool to work with things you're passionate about though so kudos on that. I do like fat bonuses better than computers nowadays.

1 hour ago, EridanusSV said:

How is 100C average. C'mon. I'd say 70 to 85 on load -- but 100.

It’s a rtx 2060 I’m not playing on medium sorry. It runs really good at ultra on all games. What I might try is running games in silent or performance instead of turbo and hope the temps go down or just screw it I’ll make use of it for idk what a few years? 

gpu runs normal temps so I’ll just have to replace cpu I guess if 100c kills it fast but I’d rather just enjoy ultra photorealistic graphics cause that’s what I kinda of got it for

well if I contacted the manufacturer it would take days. Here only minutes lol and plus all I needed to know was if 100c is dangerous which turns out it is bad for the pc and it’s gonna die damn

5 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

gpu runs normal temps so I’ll just have to replace cpu I guess if 100c kills it fast but I’d rather just enjoy ultra photorealistic graphics cause that’s what I kinda of got it for

If you are confident you can always repaste the cooler

Grab some thermal grizzly Kryonaut and replace the stock thermal paste with it. Should get you at least 5+ degC lower temps. Also looking into undervolting the cpu should get you another few deg. 

It's usually* a simple open bottom of laptop, remove a bunch of screws, pull off and clean thermal paste from dies and cooler apply new and screw back together. 

*sometimes it's more involved with removing the motherboard (apple!) but strix are usually some of the most accessible to work on

12 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

If you are confident you can always repaste the cooler

Grab some thermal grizzly Kryonaut and replace the stock thermal paste with it. Should get you at least 5+ degC lower temps. Also looking into undervolting the cpu should get you another few deg. 

It's usually* a simple open bottom of laptop, remove a bunch of screws, pull off and clean thermal paste from dies and cooler apply new and screw back together. 

*sometimes it's more involved with removing the motherboard (apple!) but strix are usually some of the most accessible to work on

done some testing ans shocking results

with silent mode aka the 1 of 3 options which are

SIlent

Performance

TURBO

Silent mode was running battlefield v on ultra setting at cpu and gpu only at 75c which is real good aint it?? it does dip to 55 fps tho

and the other 2 wow.... they instantly put the cpu up to 95c wtf lol? they did give me 10 more fps BUT ONLY SOMETIMES. so basically I might as well keep it on silent and take the 10fps drop for what its worth if its gonna kill the pc right? Maybe if a game is too laggy I can set to performance because that made the cpu goto 85c only 95c in busy areas but idk if 85c is still too hot so maybe silent is best? in silent its around 75c