[Developing] Consumers mass troll 3080 scalpers and potentially cost them in fees

rcmaehl
15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Exactly, if they think they own the fees from the sale they are idiots because the fees are only paid if you sell the item and get paid :)

I don't think I've seen anyone get listing fees for electronics in forever and those are usually like $0.50 or $1 per item.

Unless something has changed recently, the fees are automatically charged at the end of the month, regardless of if the buyers pays them or not (could have always met up in person or smth) so unless either the buyer or seller actually completely cancel the transaction, eBay will charge them the 10% fee. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless something has changed recently, the fees are automatically charged at the end of the month, regardless of if the buyers pays them or not (could have always met up in person or smth) so unless either the buyer or seller actually completely cancel the transaction, eBay will charge them the 10% fee. 

Yah, if the person refuses to pay then they don't get charged but if the buyer draws it out even over the month line and says "nah, I won't pay" then they don't get charged BUT yes, if neither party cancels then they are charged fees.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ebay will refund/cancel the fees if you don't get paid. I've had it happen on a couple things before. They might have to pay listing fees though but those are usually pretty cheap so unless they listed 100s of the same item it won't cost them thousands for sure. There is a second chance offer but you don't have to use it.

Ah I see. I found some older Q&A topics on eBay mentioning something along 10% of the highest bid being charged, but their current documentation only says "fees may apply". Perhaps it has changed then (or I'm not understanding eBay fully :P )

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Ah I see. I found some older Q&A topics on eBay mentioning something alont 10% of the highest bid being charged, but their current documentation only says "fees may apply". Perhaps it has changed then.

As @Mr.Meerkat mentioned there is a 10% fee of the final sale but if cancelled it doesn't apply/gets refunded. I actually had that happen on a old GPU for like $30 where I paid the fee but the person wanted to return it later on within the timeframe allowed so they refunded the fee once I refunded the money. It's definitely not easy to follow :D

Edit:

I do want to say it's been over a year since I bought or sold anything on ebay so things could have changed since then.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, if the person refuses to pay then they don't get charged but if the buyer draws it out even over the month line and says "nah, I won't pay" then they don't get charged BUT yes, if neither party cancels then they are charged fees.

Yep, I mean if it does get cancelled afterwards, they will get refunded but how many people actually have $8000 on their debit/credit card limit? It could easily end up in a situation where it leads the seller to (massively) exceed their overdraft or negatively affecting their credit score. Of course, this is hypothetical but it could happen.  

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Should make the scalpers keep the fee. They've earned it. 

Scalpers deserves to be shitfaced while dragged down the road untill their flesh is getting cut off by razors.

Fuck scalpers.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

38 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

That's fair, I don't view both on an equal level of importance, obviously restricting access to a life-saving item is definitely worse.

Indeed both are douche moves but one of them deserves prison more than the other.

6 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

It's really sad to see all this rage at what amounts to "not being allowed to spend as much money on worthless products as I wanted." A sign of the times I guess?

This costs the eBay users nothing. For those unaware, creating listings on eBay is free. You can create hundreds, or even thousands, of listings for free. Final value fees (the percentage eBay takes) are not collected until long after payment is *received* from the purchaser, eBay actually invoices you once a month.

The funniest part of this ironically winds up being the content creators banking on unaware, angry consumers with clickbait titles and false content.

Nope: FVFs are charged regardless of whether the seller is paid. Yes, the seller can apply for a FVF credit. But it's rather cumbersome, and the point of this 'trolling' is to be an inconvenience. 

3 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

Like I said, final value fees are not collected until long after the sale. Being a nuisance and being productive are two very different things!

But what you said is wrong. There's no relationship between the seller getting paid and eBay invoicing the seller. If the seller wants to avoid the FVF, they have to go through a process to do so, telling eBay that the buyer never stumped up the cash.

Yeah, this isn't productive. It isn't supposed to be. It's supposed to cause a nuisance, and, as an experienced eBay seller, I can tell you that this kind of thing would infuriate me. 

17 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Okay, so we really need to clear some things up here. I've been selling on eBay for a very long time, so I know how the system works and when you do and do not have to pay fees. OP @rcmaehlplease mark this post as the answer so others can see what's going on in the sellers backend.

I may, I'll have to read through it all. So far at a quick glance, you're missing the max fees a seller can be charged, how many items an account can bid on at once, and the fact that some scalpers are quite new. Additionally, please note that FVF refunds are not automatic (unless things have changed recently)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I said they had a right to resell and I stand by that, but I'll also admit,

They absolutely deserve it lol.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Ebay will refund/cancel the fees if you don't get paid. I've had it happen on a couple things before. They might have to pay listing fees though but those are usually pretty cheap so unless they listed 100s of the same item it won't cost them thousands for sure. There is a second chance offer but you don't have to use it.

This isn't correct, you have to cancel the order to not get charged a fee.  Doesn't matter whether the buyer pays or not.  What probably happens here is you have to mark the item as cancelled for no-longer-in-stock so then it doesn't require the buyer to confirm, and then they'll refund you the fees (from your balance) automatically.

I've bought stuff from myself so I can use the ebay shipping discount  (just "commit to buy" and don't pay).  If I don't cancel the order then I get charged fees.  I just buy -> create shipping label -> cancel the transaction.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Any of you asshole resellers complaining on here can suck a big fat one. You are all pieces of shit who are fucking the market all up. Greedy assholes. I fully believe youre all cancerous shits who deserve a kick to the dick by superman. 

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Since I no longer am allowed to put catchy taglines in the topic

Why's that?

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

Why's that?

I'd rather not stir up drama, but it has been deemed to not be relevant enough to keep. Posting quips is fine anywhere other than the title though.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

21 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I'd rather not stir up drama, but it has been deemed to not be relevant enough to keep. Posting quips is fine anywhere other than the title though.

I think that's stupid. I had one mod, literally one, remove my LTT sponsor spot at the end of my tech news post. Kinda just made me not want to post any more news topics.

31 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

I use a five year old Quadro, can't say I planned to buy anything from Nvidia during this launch. Those of us here explaining eBay's policies are doing just that: explaining eBay's policies.

What this whole "event" amounts to is a tantrum: people (literally adults, in many instances) didn't get what they want when they wanted it (surely there will be stock in a month or so), so now they're screaming about it.

We've all seen a toddler sitting in a shopping cart screaming after mommy says no to getting a new toy. That's what this is.

Nah not the same thing at all. People who were looking forward to this were denied due to scalpers. Scalpers are scum and should be viewed as such. If it all sold out due to consumers that wanted to use them is one thing, to have bots buy 40+ for one person is disgusting and needs to stop. These ebay resellers are getting exactly what they deserve.

Fuck scalpers and scalper sympathizers    

2 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

Explaining eBay policies = EVIL 🤪

Really is that all you did. Lets check shall we.

3 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

What this whole "event" amounts to is a tantrum: people (literally adults, in many instances) didn't get what they want when they wanted it (surely there will be stock in a month or so), so now they're screaming about it.

We've all seen a toddler sitting in a shopping cart screaming after mommy says no to getting a new toy. That's what this is.

Oh wait it wasn't. BZZZZT you got caught.

Meanwhile in PS5 land...yep the same thing is happening

image.thumb.png.7621d9ff505899cd7c6719860681aa6f.png

Even the limited cardboard edition isn't safe.

image.thumb.png.1c0ebee971cc1f66233e6105f52b3c93.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-5-Cardboard-PS5/143639357624?hash=item217192a8b8%3Ag%3AUdMAAOSwppde8rsq&LH_Auction=1

Oh boy... RIP ratings for the Zotac Gaming variant of the RTX 3080.

image.thumb.png.264217cdfc8932003fa0841896e1dd40.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I've noticed this, random accounts jacking up prices on bids to 5 digit price tags.

GOOD.

even if it violates eBay's TOS?

eBay explicitly tells seller if buyers try to back out after winning an auction that they need to be reported and will be penalized.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This is going to end with eBay forcing buyers to put down a non-refundable deposit if they want to bid over $1000. 

Hell what if I bought a 3080 and then wanted to use it for a few weeks before upgrading to a 3090?  I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't list it without getting a hundred fake bidders.  How long is the trolling going to last?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)