3080 benchmarks are in! Are they good?

Helpful Tech Witch
5 hours ago, Deli said:

Nvidia has always been better at performance per watt.

Not really. They've pulled a Fermi before, and it seems they're doing it again. It seems they couldn't get enough of a performance-per-watt increase out of Samsung's fabs, so they went with a more brute-force approach to hitting the absolute performance they targeted. Something similar to what happened back then.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not really. They've pulled a Fermi before, and it seems they're doing it again. It seems they couldn't get enough of a performance-per-watt increase out of Samsung's fabs, so they went with a more brute-force approach to hitting the absolute performance they targeted. Something similar to what happened back then.

I almost want to mention Fermi, the infamous GTX480.  But thinking it's long time ago. Not sure how many people still rock the Fermi cards now.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

GTX480.

I read rx 480. almost said that I had one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Deli said:

I almost want to mention Fermi, the infamous GTX480.  But thinking it's long time ago. Not sure how many people still rock the Fermi cards now.

The point is AMD, Nvidia and Intel will all screw their perf/watt numbers when they deem it necessary to strike their intended perf/$ targets in the consumer space (you can't dismiss perf/watt as easily for servers), and they each has shown it in the past.

11 hours ago, Gundar said:

I mean for small form factor water cooling that pcb is a godsend

is it though, its weird shape, will probably be hard to hide

Just now, cj09beira said:

is it though, its weird shape, will probably be hard to hide

Its probably a lot better than trying to stick a foot long pcb in an itx case 

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

24 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

did anyone manage to get one LUL i didnt f5 hard enough

The launch here in the UK has been a shower.

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

Its probably a lot better than trying to stick a foot long pcb in an itx case 

doesnt the h1 support like 10 inch gpus? Its a bit small, but its pretty big for a itx case.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Just watch DerBauer Asus Tuf 3080 review. It shows the GPU itself only draws about 190w. It's the VRAM and something else PWR_SRC combine draw a lot of power.

Well, fuck it, I've ordered RTX 3080. Will I get one? I honestly have no idea. I hardly got through the ordering as webpage was getting hammered like mad and still is lol. I had to pay with wire transfer so I'm hoping they put one on the side until payment is confirmed on their end. And stock status wasn't really clear on the page either... Oh well :D

It's a reliable seller so I have no doubt they'll be doing things right.

3 hours ago, Deli said:

Nvidia willing to break the taboo of "power hungry" image. It used to belong to AMD. Nvidia has always been better at performance per watt. If Nvidia keeps the power envelop like before 250w for the high end card. There won't be a big jump of performance.

amd has had better perf/w multiple times and by a long shot, with fermi for example, and the 280 where amd/ati was competing with a gpu nearly 2 times as small

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't think AMD was expecting NVIDIA to make such massive jump in performance. Or maybe, AMD had a massive jump and NVIDIA managed to find out and leaped them. Time will tell. Soon. Whatever it happens, I hope AMD will do well coz we need strong competition for this to be regular occurrence. Otherwise we'll go back to 15% boosts with generations...

i find it very hard to. believe they wouldn't be able to predict this, 30-40% better than a 2080 ti, with a big node change, that is if anything not much of a jump, perf/w is almost the same meaning they are pushing the cards quite a bit, even though clocks are not higher meaning the node sucks ass, and amd's whole thing for next gen is perf/w, so amd has a very good shot at it, specially considering how the consoles are doing, and we already seen a leak of this levels of perf on openvr.

i blame bestbuy its like they are purposely jebaiting me and wasting my time. i should have stuck to newegg

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

perf/w is almost the same meaning they are pushing the cards quite a bit, even though clocks are not higher meaning the node sucks ass

They are pushing on core count - if they had to do it on clocks, I don't think they could do it at Samsung, and perf/watt would be much worse. The dies are huge, something probably made possible by Samsung's lower wafer cost.

14 minutes ago, Deli said:

Just watch DerBauer Asus Tuf 3080 review. It shows the GPU itself only draws about 190w. It's the VRAM and something else PWR_SRC combine draw a lot of power.

My little understanding is that memory speed is particularly important for the performance gains at higher resolutions, which would be why the improvement is not homogeneous across resolutions. [conjecture]Maybe VRAM itself and/or its interconnection with the GPU is particularly power hungry in order to achieve that[/conjecture]. I'd like to see how this breakdown looks like for other architectures in any case (I haven't watched his video, maybe he reports that too).

Already out of stock for RTX 3080 FE in France :(

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

13 hours ago, EChondo said:

Great to see benchmarks finally. I personally favor TPU's benchmarks since I've been reading them for almost a decade now and never been steered wrong.

3080 vs 2080ti($999.99(Sept 2018));

13% better at 1080p
19% at 1440p
24% at 4k

3080 vs 2080 super($699.99(July 2019));

23% at 1080p
30% at 1440p
36% at 4k

3080 vs 2080 ($699.99(Sept 2018));

26% at 1080p
34% at 1440p
40% at 4k

3080 vs 1080ti($699.99(March 2017));

33% at 1080p
41% at 1440p
47% at 4k

So looking at 1440p(cause thats what I run) and focusing on $699 price, in 1 year we got 30% more performance, 2 years 34%, and 3 years 41%.

So, the jump between 1080ti and 2080S was only 11% and had to wait 2 years.

1080ti and 3080 is 41% in 3 years. Literally 30% more performance, at the same price, waiting an extra year after 2080S...yeah, Turing sucked big time for price:performance.

Even though this isn't "2x 2080 Super", this is still a HUGE jump and makes me question...why these prices? Why did Nvidia decide to sell at such a competitive price compared to previous generations? They could have sold the 3080 for $999 easy, no problem. Hell, they could have sold the 3080 for $1200 and bumped the 3090 to $2000.

I'm glad I returned my 2060 I bought recently for a SFF build and am using my old GTX 970 in its place, because this is quite a big jump, but now I'm super curious with what AMD has in store.

AMD has not been competitive in the past, especially these past 2 years during Turing where Nvidia seemed to only release small upgrades at high costs, but with Nvidia coming down in price:performance, this really makes me want to believe AMD has something this time around, especially with the new consoles(albeit cut down), do seem to claim great performance(4k60fps, some multiplayer being 4k120fps).

Could this be AMD's redemption period? I don't think I would place a monetary bet, but I'm definitely not buying a 3000 series while AMD seemingly has potential if Nvidia is acting this way.

November is going to be quite interesting!

The 10GB of frame buffer might have something to do with the price. I game at 4K and I already have to turn down some VRam-eating settings to prevent fps choppiness in a few games with my 2080. Nothings more disappointing than opening up task manager and seeing all 8GB of Vram filled and system memory being used.

I'm waiting to see what AMD have in store because I'm not spending a grand in Canadian Dollars (plus 13% tax) for another frame buffer starved 80 series card. If AMD's top SKU with 16GB of VRAM can at least match the 3080, I'm sold even if they don't undercut Nvidia on price. If AMD comes out of the gate with a turd, then I'm biting the bullet on a 3090 or waiting for a 20GB 3080 model. 10GB is perfectly fine for 1440p for a good while, but not 4K in my personal experience.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think you're made an error in your calculations

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/34.html

3080 vs 2080:

1080p - 74 to 100 = 35% increase

1440p - 66 to 100 = 51% increase

4K - 60 to 100 = 66% increase

Remember, 50 to 100 is a 100% increase, not a 50% increase. "The 2080 gets 74% of the performance of a 3080" is not the same as "the 3080 is 26% faster than the 2080".

So the 3080 is actually even better than what you calculated in your post.

Derp. My bad, thanks for the callout. Fixed numbers...as you can tell, I've been away from the game for a while haha.

6 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

They didn't claim that. They claimed up to 2x the RTX 2080. And, in fact, in Minecraft, VRAY, and various other games/programs it is.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as Nvidia claiming that, I meant it more in a way that some people were hoping for "2x" even though Nvidia did indicate "up to".

I'm more invested in Nvidia's claim of "faster than 2080ti" for 3070 because I'm super curious what they mean exactly, especially after them clarifying the 3080 performance.

21 minutes ago, EChondo said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as Nvidia claiming that, I meant it more in a way that some people were hoping for "2x" even though Nvidia did indicate "up to".

Yay also said 2080s, they sisnt say 2080s, that was my main point.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, BroliviaWilde said:

one theory why that is at that  pricepoint:

competing with AMD on two fronts - RDNA2 desktop chips about to release and with the 3070 right at same price as new game consoles, some might even see the 3070 as a gateway, well hey, if you are willing to spend $500 on a gpu, maybe you might be willing to spend a bit more and get the 3080 instead.  They went with Samsung 8nm node, from what I read/watched it is considerably cheaper per wafer than what TSMC has on their 7nm, combine that with the sourness over the significant price increase on the 2080ti over the 1080ti and it just adds up.  

That's partly true, I keep saying this (Linus said it too in a recent video) Nvidia isn't competing with AMD (at least not directly) but the new consoles are an actual threat so it really makes sense to do something preemptively for Nvidia.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Part of me wants to just grab RTX 3080 and call it a day and my other part of me wants to wait for RX 6000 series and better general availability.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, fuck it, I've ordered RTX 3080.

16 hours difference and the urge to buy has won 😀

24 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

16 hours difference and the urge to buy has won 😀

Literally just because I could. It's possible I've cocked up tho, I was rushing things and didn't pay attention to stock status and just blindly went for it with one without any status. But it was listed. We'll see. In worst case, if order will take too long they'll just refund it. In the meanwhile I still have my current card. So, no biggie.

Oh, something is happening. Got a reply from store that my order is in progress. Now I'm just waiting for another response where they regrettably inform me they don't have the item. I hope the stock status was not real at the time given it was promised to go up at certain hour and nothing changed except items got ADD TO CART button which they didn't before. Go figure. Lets see if I'll be lucky.