How much noise can I expect from the p400a

TheJedi

I'm thinking of building my system in the thermaltake p400a and I want to know how much noise I can expect from my system.

The parts I plan to use are

Ryzen 5 3600

Stock Cooler

RTX 2060 / RTX 2070 / RTX 2070s

16gb DDR4 3200

650W PSU

MSI B450M Mortar Max

Case included fans

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

it depends. gpu, psu.. You didn't even mention models of those. Stock 5 3600 cooler is loud'ish for my taste, some might disagree.

13 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Stock Cooler

that's the biggest source of noise.

14 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

RTX 2060 / RTX 2070 / RTX 2070s

that's the second biggest source of noise.

cases don't do much, unless you buy one that's designed to lower noise (they are usually worse for airflow though)

the p400a is a good case, if you are concerned of noise, get a better cpu cooler

36 minutes ago, nox_ said:

it depends. gpu, psu.. You didn't even mention models of those. Stock 5 3600 cooler is loud'ish for my taste, some might disagree.

Sorry, I didn't mention these because I don't know, I'm buying second hand.

It will probably be founders edition, or some other dual or tri fan design. No blower style GPU. The same buying format applies to the PSU, I don't know which one I will buy.

System

15 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

The same buying format applies to the PSU, I don't know which one I will buy.

Don't buy used psu... Just don't. 

Buy a new PSU.  The 20 bucks you save on used won't be worth the risk associated with that.

Ditch the stock cooler and /at least/ get a Hyper 212.  (Upgrade more if you can swing a few more bucks.)  The 212 is a great 'baseline' for the price, and way quieter than any stock cooler.

As for case fans:  

Most stock case fans...  aren't great.  They're worth a try to start, but I would suggest:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07HC782D5/ref=sr_1_1

Especially on a budget.  Noctuas are better, sure, but this 5 pack is only a little more than 1 noctua.  So, yeah.  

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Buy a new PSU.  The 20 bucks you save on used won't be worth the risk associated with that.

Ditch the stock cooler and /at least/ get a Hyper 212.  (Upgrade more if you can swing a few more bucks.)  The 212 is a great 'baseline' for the price, and way quieter than any stock cooler.

As for case fans:  

Most stock case fans...  aren't great.  They're worth a try to start, but I would suggest:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07HC782D5/ref=sr_1_1

Especially on a budget.  Noctuas are better, sure, but this 5 pack is only a little more than 1 noctua.  So, yeah.  

I would buy new but I don't have a massive budget, so saving on this would help with other parts. The same applies to the cooler. As I get more money I will upgrade. 

I don't really want to spend more time saving as I will take another month to save for the cooler alone, I really just want the rig asap. I've been waiting ages and now it seems more reachable than ever before.

If I somehow gain more money by time it's ready to build I will definitely upgrade the cooler and spend extra on the PSU to get new.  

With regards to fans, I want RGB and fans that have RGB are so expensive.

So it really depends on the money, plus I don't really mind the noise as I have a noise cancelling headset, it's the rest of my household who will benefit from the noise reduction.

System

47 minutes ago, none77 said:

Wait for the new GPU line.

I only have around £250 to spend on the GPU and I doubt any of the RTX 30 series cards will be this price maybe the RTX 26 series if they do one, I'm not going to build till Feb-March 

System

1 minute ago, CloudPC said:

I'm not going to build till Feb-March 

I get pre planning, but just wait at least till 2021. Way to early, new amd cpu's and gpu's will be released. Then you plan your build.

Do no mean to be rude.

53 minutes ago, none77 said:

Wait for the new GPU line.

Why? he will not be able to afford it. If you mean wait for the old gen to drop prices when the new ones are out? Yup, that's a good idea.

5 hours ago, CloudPC said:

thermaltake p400a

Assuming you mean Phanteks P400A, it's not very low noise-oriented case, no dampening on side panels and since front and top panels are open, any noise happening inside the case would escape outside. However, since this case is also pretty good airflow wise - with the right fan placement and RPM curves configuration of it can be practically silent, it is in my case.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Assuming you mean Phanteks P400A, it's not very low noise-oriented case, no dampening on side panels and since front and top panels are open, any noise happening inside the case would escape outside. However, since this case is also pretty good airflow wise - with the right fan placement and RPM curves configuration of it can be practically silent, it is in my case.

Sorry yes that is what I mean, this or the Cooler Master MasterBox TD500.

System